It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SpaceX is quietly planning Mars-landing missions...It's about time.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   
The Russians have had their failures with Phobos and Mars.

"The Russian Phobos program was an unmanned space mission consisting of two probes launched by the Soviet Union to study Mars and its moons Phobos and Deimos. Phobos 1 was launched on 7 July 1988, and Phobos 2 on 12 July 1988, each aboard a Proton-K rocket.

Phobos 1 suffered a terminal failure en route to Mars. Phobos 2 attained Mars orbit, but contact was lost before the final phase, prior to deployment of a planned Phobos lander."

en.wikipedia.org...

"Failed Russian Mars Probe Crashes Into Pacific Ocean": Reports By Mike Wall, Space.com January 15, 2012

www.space.com...

edit on 12-8-2018 by lunarcartographer because: add link

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
We don't have to let International borders stop us now....the People can now crowd-fund the money and Cloud-fund the brains.....people from every country can contribute online now....no one can stop this.....one sail strong wind.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Soylent Green Is People

I did mean space budget. Against other space budgets. It's not good enough.

Stop spending on war and defence would go a long way. Not gonna happen though.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe

I did mean space budget. Against other space budgets. It's not good enough.

Stop spending on war and defence would go a long way. Not gonna happen though.

Ah...thanks for the clarification. Yes -- NASA's budget is higher than any other space program, private or government.

And as you mentioned, large portions of NASA's budget goes to things other than direct space exploration, like aeronautical research and studies of planet Earth.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Sorry for the confusion.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

What an ignorant post from the perspective of an engineer.

I could start to quote you and point out all your logic errors and misconceptions sentence by sentence, but I´ll just randomly pick one paragraph:

So, a robot by 22. Hasn't that been done before.

It wasn´t spaceX that did that. Just because sometimes, someone, somewhere accomplishes something, that skill or knowledge does not automatically and magically spread to every human being or company.

Maybe that robot will begin a nano manufacturing factory and set up three d printers to build habitats. Color me skeptical

Did it occur to you, that a robot or something robotic can be as huge as a factory sized building, containing sub-units (toolboxes)? If you think about stuff like the mars rovers... widen you horizont. A robot is not restricted to two arms, legs, or a single task at once.

And about 3D printing... forget the "traditional" 3D "printing". You could assemble a sealed, segmented tube that grows via means of injecting material from inside the rings making it grow like stearable a plant stem.

This has already been done in lab settings for other purposes. Sure there are other obstacles to overcome but your post showed such a huge amount of sheer ignorance, I just had to respond.

That thing to the left isn´t fiction either, although it´s a 3D rendering because I can´t use actual photos.
edit on 12-8-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

You are correct about my ignorance. That is why so much of my post was made as a query. This is why I said I was skeptical.
The engineer, yourself I presume, surely would have a fuller knowledge of the tech capabilities and thank you for the education.

I admit to a field of knowledge that is based on past tech and that any future in space will not be based upon that tech but rather tech that is still advancing and which might make human ventures into space a more robust endeavor.

However I still wonder at the timeline. Am I wrong to suppose that if those goals were reachable by the tech that you are suggesting is available would we not already see more of it here on Earth and in orbit? Would we not already have habitats that are more than cobbled together?

Much of my skepticism comes from the excitement of the original space program. I clung to the nightly news on each mission into orbit and those on to the moon. As the early satellites went up the early ones were for scientific experiments in 0g and all. And then the communications satalites that have given us our info sphere capabilites of today.

But along with those was the military high ground advantages. That to me seemed to be a if not the major goal of Nasa in i'ts push into space. Heading on to Mars will offer no commercial return as I can see it, no military advantage.

Can you see reason for my skepticism? Again, where is the commercial value to setting up habitats on Mars. Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to just establish robotic factories there? Why all the ''we are going to live on Mars'' stuff. I just makes so little sense on me other than as an extention of the myth of the 50s 60s and 70s that that is how we will colonize the solar system.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

No they are still accepting donations.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Great that you didn´t take it personal, rereading I might sound a bit harsh but it was just being direct.

Can you see reason for my skepticism? Again, where is the commercial value to setting up habitats on Mars. Wouldn't it be easier and less expensive to just establish robotic factories there? Why all the ''we are going to live on Mars'' stuff. I just makes so little sense on me other than as an extention of the myth of the 50s 60s and 70s that that is how we will colonize the solar system.

Now that you explained I do. This time it´s not an overbloated government facility that´s also used to hose away money to other stuff...

SpaceX proofed that they can step on uncharted territory already, at least on the technical side of things. This time they brought in external brainpower

cheers.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

This time it´s not an overbloated government facility that´s also used to hose away money to other stuff...

And that would be the hope, that it would be done by private enterprise. While I recognize this and would hope that private space development would be more successful than governmental successes, I still have to wonder at the bottom line benifet of private adventures.

Thinking that most private industry depend upon short term profits, I wonder at what those short term goals would return in a short amount of time. Maybe looking for investors hoping to get in on the ground floor of the future.

Do you see my economic questions here? The ledger just dosen't add up for me. And don't get me wrong, were this to happen in the near future my heart would swell, it's just that I have become so jaded in my old age that this venture would be a great surprise to me.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Your link is hilarious

If you scroll to the very bottom of the page. There's a section on finance and feasibility.

This is from there.

For the Mars One foundation, taking the mission closer to successful completion is the only important goal. To most investors in Mars One Ventures however, a positive return on their investment is more important than the actual mission success.

That's good to know.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   

he better do something to begin trying to save his reputation..

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I would actually expect NASA to be able to do it before I would a private company. The reason is simple. Money. Does Mars have any rare and valuable resources that could be feasibly exploited for profit? If not, I think that's a big problem for the idea that a private company is going to be sufficiently funded to make this happen.

Think of it this way. If you go to youtube and you look for videos bout the ocean liner United States, you will find there have been numerous people who have tried to save that ship and do something to bring it back to something close to it's former glory.

It's not like no one loves the nostalgia of the old ships. There's a reason the Titanic story just won't die. Everyone loves those old ships. The problem is no one can figure out how to make it worth it to save that ship. Everyone who has tried has lost more money than they wanted to and they have all ran away in the end.

If this was a profitable venture, it would be easy. If they find out Mars is made of gold or something, they'll be there the next day. If it's just a big ball of dirt, I'll be surprised if humans EVER set up a real colony there. We might visit long enough to say we did. I predict that will be it until someone finds a compelling reason that it's worth it to burn money and resources to get there and put people there for a permanent settlement.

I'd love to be wrong. I'm a huge space fan. It's just that you have to think in terms of reality. We could have probably a rather large colony on the moon by now. Why don't we? Probably because it would just be an enormous money pit so people could go there and waste away in super low gravity while enjoying the view.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

If it turned out that Mars was a big ball of gold, and we had a way of efficiently shipping it back to Earth, I would expect its monetary value to plummet over due course, making the whole mining operation worthless.

Just my dos centavos,

(ETA, unless one could figure out how to pull it off on the sly, of course,

edit on 28/12/12 by MerkabaTribeEntity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I look at this much like Europe when they discovered the new world. At first it was military vessels and expeditions funded by the government. Eventually commerce was introduced and people made money.

Space will be thr same way the initial investments will be military or government expeditions. Eventually commerce will take over but only after governments have established themselves in space.

Now space X makes money because people want to put things in orbit. There is a value there for company's. Going to mars their is no way for a company to make money without alot of work being done first. You want to get astronauts there to study the geography locate water sources. Determine how to survive on the surface will be huge people will die. All these risks will be taken by governments and not company's

And finally the tech involved one company doesn't have access to all the tech needed. Where a government comes in handy like they did with apollo they could hire dozens of company's working to solve a problem they were having. Think of all the big names that worked on apollo such as Northrop, Lockheed martin and Boeing not to mention groups like MIT. One company just couldn't pull it off and before the mission to mars is done dozens of companies will be involved. Your only hope for reaching mars is if a government makes the call.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MerkabaTribeEntity
a reply to: BrianFlanders

If it turned out that Mars was a big ball of gold, and we had a way of efficiently shipping it back to Earth, I would expect its monetary value to plummet over due course, making the whole mining operation worthless.

Just my dos centavos,

Well, the point is that if they found something there that is more rare, useful and valuable than plain old dirt, they'd be there fast. Some things are obviously more desirable than money. Not many but...

I don't drink.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Well, the point is that if they found something there that is more rare, useful and valuable than plain old dirt, they'd be there fast. Some things are obviously more desirable than money. Not many but...

On my first reply on page 1. Before i wrote a word. I posted a link. Nobody has bothered to look at it.

I'll try again.

www.space.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend

No they are still accepting donations.

Wow....so are they still trying to do the"colony" thing? One way trips, correct?

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: blackcrowe

On my first reply on page 1. Before i wrote a word. I posted a link. Nobody has bothered to look at it.

I'll try again.

www.space.com...

Interesting article. My conspiracy senses tell me that life has already been found on Mars.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

My conspiracy senses tell me that life has already been found on Mars.

And. I might agree with that.

Thanks for clicking the link.

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join