It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby Boomers Going Bankrupt at Record Levels

page: 15
<< 12  13  14   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

I don't care, I'm good who cares about them

If you don't care about society, you don't deserve to live in it, or reap any of it's benefits.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined
I see it the same as you. That Sept. 11 changed everything for the worst. We cannot be secure about our safety on our own shores anymore. The government took steps to make it look like security measures had been put into effect, but most of the safety/security measures just made doing things more difficult and costly for companies and individuals. Fortunately, I am not in any position of power. I absolutely hate political correctness. Who decided what was the correct way to view our situation or to describe what happened using only language that wouldn't hurt anybody's feelings? If you cannot determine what the problem is, you can never get a solution.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
All I have been seeing here in this thread is blaming an entire
generation.How about if you younger people would concentrate
more on solutions than bashing!

I hear this sentiment a lot "young people should concentrate more on solutions..."

Problem is these young people wield no power currently. In the here and now it's the Boomers who should be concentrating on solutions and inspiring these young people to put in the work to make those solutions possible.

If the boomers fail to do this we can only pray there will be enough left for the younger people to give it a try when they come into power in a few decades.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

It would be nice if some people could come up with solutions
rather than bashing.I am not the one bashing,or playing the
blame game.
I raised my family,worked hard and pretty much kept to myself.
I put in to the system for years and am now told to get off my
retirement high horse.
I am done,stick a fork in me done...

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This just came to me while praying.You want solutions here you go...
People need to get closer to God! Put Bibles back into kids' hands
and have prayer back into schools.This is my advice as a baby boomer!

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth
This just came to me while praying.You want solutions here you go...
People need to get closer to God! Put Bibles back into kids' hands
and have prayer back into schools.This is my advice as a baby boomer!

For what it is worth: you can not be closer to God than you are. Never. Either he does not exist, in which case you can't get closer to him; or he does exist, in which case he is everything and everywhere - and whatever you do, you can't get any closer to him either.

If you meant to say that people should adhere to a belief system like yours, as you either are or at least pretend to be a Christian, you should be more specific: is it the the "eye for an eye" type you'd like them to adhere to, or the "love your neighbours" type?

All in all, your advice is simply bigotry. Get all religions out of the schools, and allow people to believe what they want, without any force and out of their free will, not because their teachers have forced their favourite system upon them. Amen.

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DanDanDat
Problem is these young people wield no power currently. In the here and now it's the Boomers who should be concentrating on solutions and inspiring these young people to put in the work to make those solutions possible.

Actually - no. And that is why this entire thread is flawed: it aren't boomers or millenials that should (not) do something, nor the millenials blah blah.

Power is held by a small part of the current population, (of all ages, sexes, sizes and races, but alas, yes, mostly white males over 50), roughly 1-2 percent I'd say. These are folks capable of changing things. These are the leaders of the larger political parties. These are the CEO's of large companies e.g. Walmart, McDonalds and the DoD in the US. Huge banks. Huge oil companies.

Alas, their only interest is propagating their own interests, or that of their companies and parties. So, oil companies - will do anything to keep you hooked on oil. McD will keep selling you burgers, obesity rules, but hey, we make a profit, don't we, so all is well. And let's not even START talking about the DoD, which clearly is not there to maintain peace, unless you also believe the butcher is there to protect the cattle.

But the rest of us, the 98 percent, we are simply not able to do anything else but simply live according to the rules that society sets upon us. Voting does not help, especially not in a 2 party system, where inevitably half of the population lost the vote and hence their influence (for at least 4 years).

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Shame there's not an opt-out feature

posted on Aug, 14 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

I read everything you had written down and I must say your #1-#5 are pretty much SPOT ON.

1. Yes the cell phone. You pay $559.99 for a brand new smartphone. That smartphone uses the internet which most packages are $100.00 a month, and in some cases more. 10 GBs download blah blah blah binge watch blah blah blah. I don't care what it is, turn your cell phone OFF! I actually downgraded to a flip phone. It barely works. But all it has is talk and text. THAT'S IT! Cost to buy the phone? 80 bux. Monthly price for service? $25 dollars. Do I really need to use the internet 24/7? If you are using your smartphone for any picture sharing site, or video feed you are not only wasting your time, you are also wasting a ton of money. And ask yourself for what? A tiny screen you can carry with you anywhere so you can continue to be anti-social in public? I find it insane that people who have a million pictures of themselves smiling on their "insert web company name here" profile don't actually smile all that often in person. 99% of the time they have frowns. Why? Lets keep going.

2. College degrees. Even my father wasted his time without ever completing college. Why? He got about 3/4s into school and realised that what he was studying for meant MORE WORK. That's right. With a higher education comes MORE RESPONSIBILITIES. And a lot of people who go into college keep thinking "All I have to do is get through college and I will be fine." But the problem has been for the past 60 years people have that sense of entitlement. I survived all 4 years of college and I know my **** give me $100,000 a month in salary please. But what the corporations of America figured out is they have been getting SCREWED by those pieces of paper and now have been hiring individuals who have 0 college education because, not only are they cheaper, but they ACTUALLY WORK HARD. They don't just work hard, they generate more money in sales in some cases more than others. Of course this is not in every case. But I find it strange that companies will hire "business coaches" and everyone thinks "oh man they must have went through college to get this job." but I asked 5 different business coaches over the past 6 years about how they got that job. And they said they just applied for it. I asked them if they had to go to college for it and they said "I dropped out of high school." "I never went to college." "I started working at one of the stores and never thought about college." "I finished high school and I needed a job before college."

This is from my own personal experience. College to me is a waste of time for many because they have a degree, but do not do anything with it. My sister included. Stop wasting your money on a college degree if you know that you are not going to like working in the field you are studying! Go to the library and actually pick up a used book and read all of the things in the so called "study guides" free of charge. go sit in a class room for a few years and get FREE education. Your paperwork just won't be graded.

But above all I actually detest going to college because of radio ads. "get a degree at 'insert institution name here.'" I never trust radio ads for anything anymore including college. Especially when some colleges have OUTDATED COLLEGE COURSES.

So yes. Stop going for a degree after age 40. The point of marketing in any firm is to generate sales. Stop listening to ads about it. Success stories from 40 year olds completing college makes up less than a half of 100 millionth of a percent of college students that age.

3. Agreed. Pick up a shovel and start using it. "Oh but I am tired all of the time." I don't even want to hear that complaint. I have seen men aged 75 who still know how to use a pickaxe to pull out dead shrubs. WORK. And stop making everyone else do your work and actually WORK.

I work with a bunch of kids now a days and they can't even pick up a rag at age 18 to clean a ****ing table. I keep laughing while I fantasize that they won't be able to get out of bed because they are too tired from sitting around all day looking at their phones.

4. True. But happiness is forever fleeting. And it is the constant feeling of feeling left out because you don't own this, or you don't have the money to do that. You don't have a big huge house. You don't have that red sports car. You don't have a big screen tv. You don't have the latest video game machine. You don't have the latest phone? You haven't made a "insert web company name here" profile? I started becoming more and more inclined to turn myself off from the internet, but I do play video games. And they are rather cheap. They work as intended. But I only pay for internet, and upgrading my PC every once in a while like all men do when they need to service their vehicles.

5. Ties into number 4 a bit but yes. The bigger the house? The more responsibilities come with it. The smaller the house? The faster you will be able to clean and maintain it. I myself have turned my back on owning a large home. I'd rather buy a tumbleweed house.

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14   >>

join