It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overtime work should be banned...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have always been supportive of good work-life balance. Even the fact, that company needs somebody to work overtime, means mismanagement, setting unlikely deadlines etc. For me, work-life is extremely important. Personally, I have never worked more than 40 hours per week, usually 30-35, although currently I am having issues with my girlfriend. This whole summer, she has been working more than 60 hours per week and that is unacceptable for me. I have had to wait hours behind her office, because she told she would finish earlier. And I am getting tired of it... No company/job is worth sacrificing personal relationships, friends, family. Now she decided to even work on Saturday and I am waiting for her, so had some time to write this post. I have even asked her to quit, as my salary would easily cover both of our needs, although she wants "independence".

Overtime is something I personally am highly against. It is something that too often gives unfair advantage to people, who have "no lives". There is a huge difference, when a person has family, social life vs single somebody whose whole life goes around their work. In the end, the first person would have to sacrifice their personal life or the second person gets advantage. In the end, such choices lead to immense amount of divorces, loss of friendships and all this, because of a freakin job. No job is worth such sacrifice.

Another problem comes with the fact, that when one person is willing to work overtime and other is not, then the company pressurises the second to either work overtime or they will just find somebody who will. And there is always somebody desperate enough to take the job. Using people´s desperate situations, need for money to, to pressurise them sacrificing their health,personal relationships, family,is not right thing to do.

In the end, when one works overtime, this leads to loss of productivity due to tiredness. Long-term different health issues might come up, which might become extremely expensive etc etc. It becomes negative for the economy as a whole.

If a company needs its employees work overtime, this means the deadline have been set too tight, that is managements problem not employees. If a contract says its 40, then its 40. I remember, couple of years ago, France enacted a ban on overtime in certain sectors. I wish my country would do the same. There is work and there is personal life.

Sorry for the mistakes, waiting at the taxi for my girlfriend right now and had some time to kill. If that behaviour continues in her, I think seriously calling it quits with her soon.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Cabin

Ban work altogether and give all the lazy lima beans a guaranteed income. Problem solved. You're Welcome.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

That's rather shallow to split with your gf because she values her job and works OT.

30-35 hours a week will not a career make either.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Sounds to me like your girlfriend WANTS to work overtime. Maybe this relationship isn't the right one for you?

While I agree overtime should never be mandatory, it should also never be banned. Some people like and/or need the extra money. Why punish those people?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I'll take all the overtime I can get at union scale time and a half after 8hrs and double time after 12.
14 and 18 hr days are very common on a movie set especially outdoors or on location with time constraints.
We have trailers on set where crew can catch a few hrs sleep on long shoots out in the desert or forests. Paid for sleeping!!

livin the dream!!
edit on 11-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
I have even asked her to quit, as my salary would easily cover both of our needs

Can I be your girlfriend?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:41 AM
link   
That's a very offensive post.Overtime is a good thing for people on hourly wages.That extra couple of hours a day means they have a little extra to pay bills,go to a show,buy their kids a Christmas gift,save for a vacation and not have to find a second job.Employers can react to a sudden order or supplier shortage.or make up for machine downtime.Wanting to deny companies and employees overtime by banning it is ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
It sounds like the two of you have different values. There's nothing wrong with this - some people like to throw themselves into their work, other people don't. However, I will say that those who consistently spend extra time at work are usually avoiding something else in their life. I think you might be offended because it seems like she's avoiding you or not making you a priority - because she isn't.

Also, people don't change after a certain point, so don't expect her to ever be different. Once someone is a grown adult that's pretty much all there is to it. My mother, a gerontologist, once said that "People intensify as they get older" - if someone was nice when they were younger, they become extremely sweet and loving as an old person. If someone was difficult when they were young, they become extremely bitter and angry as an older person. I have found that to be true in many cases, so take a look at how people are now and imagine them "intensifying" in those traits as they get older!

Edit to add: It's not the overtime that is the problem, it's your relationship with that one person. There's no need to change an entire system that affects millions of people just because you lack enough insight into your own situation.
edit on 8112018 by oriondc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Maybe she works these hours to get away from you? I mean, she said she wants "independence". What she really wants is freedom from you. Sorry. That's my interpretation of this situation.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It's not your call. Your girlfriend gets to make this decision, not you. You sound extremely selfish and possessive. She should certainly not quit and have you support her. That would end her independence altogether.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:09 AM
link   
To be totally honest with you, if her aspirations and goals don’t align with yours, your girlfriend probably deserves better anyways.

Would you rather work 35 hours per week for 50 years, or 60 hours per week for 10 years and retire? There’s a magical thing out there called exponential growth; the more you invest the younger you are, the higher your returns.

Think about how much money she’s bringing home. If you were to match her hours and both save up, you could surely qualify for a cash flow positive FHA multi-family duplex/triplex/qudraplex, Love in one side, rent the rest out. Then you could buy another one every few years, and retire in five to ten years.

BUT that never is a even a possibility if you work part time and can’t save up much because of the cost of living.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I honestly don’t mind over time... while I’m at work.
I work 4 days on 3 days off.
When I’m at work, I live there for those 4 days, in a remote mining camp.
If I work after 6pm, I make $175.00 Per hour worked.

If I’m already there, why not.
edit on 11-8-2018 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: SpartanStoic

That's rather shallow to split with your gf because she values her job and works OT.

30-35 hours a week will not a career make either.

I got a deal with my employer for a 32 hour, four day work week. Salary pay. At the time they couldn't afford me full time- but once I showed them what I can do for them they would have happily doubled my pay for a 64 hour week.
My last employer worked me like that, and made a great profit doing so. They went under when I left.

I'm still the best paid, most experienced person under 40 I know.
Hours worked is a backwards way to measure a career. Personal time is more important than you can possibly understand- especially if you don't have any.
I say that having just worked two hours on my Saturday morning because someone under me isn't good enough at their job.

As for OP, IMO, if you're considering splitting with someone over their personal choice to work too much, they're not your person and you're likely wasting your time. If she's making you wait around to give her a ride, she's outright abusing you.
Unless, of course, you're doing that to yourself.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cabin
I have always been supportive of good work-life balance. Even the fact, that company needs somebody to work overtime, means mismanagement, setting unlikely deadlines etc.

Balance? What's that?

Seriously speaking, in a capitalist driven society where the bottom line is profit margin, the term balance really means nothing.

In theory, overtime usually means 1 of 2 things: either management has grossly overestimated their staff's capabilities and needs to hire more staff -OR- the staff is grossly underperforming and needs to find new jobs. There is a third option: Staff has been guaranteed overtime hours in the contract.

Either way, I see overtime as a management problem. Management can hire seasonal help, look for temps, or hire part time as a stop-gap interim solution or hire permanent personnel as a permanent solution.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Hey you forgot the meal penalties too lol...it might suck at the time to press on without a full belly...but when the check comes its totally worth it!

And yes in the entertainment industry its pretty common to end up on a massive run...June and july for me was 58 days working some 10-11hrs a day and my 3 days off were not back to back.
edit on 11-8-2018 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Sometimes I've had to work overtime because I couldn't get work done during the day in the open plan office. A contractor would wander over to my cubicle-neighbor for a 1.5 hour natter ever day. I couldn't get any work done during this time, so had to make up for time by working late until 8.00pm each night. I think he was doing this deliberately since we were both competing for the same work. When I successfully meet the deadline, he then demands that he is allowed to work remotely.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
There is only one rule you should live by and that's "WORK TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO WORK". When you've worked that out let me know.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Wow...uh...you sound kind of possessive and a bit insane...

Personally I like my overtime, I like the large cheques it gives me. My girlfriend appreciates it too. I don't mind when my girlfriend works overtime because it's part of her job. We both realize we need money to live and actually have a family. We make the most of the time when we are together.

I assure you relationships sometimes require waiting or other tasks requiring patience and support. We've been there for eachother when we've both beeen working 40 a week 60 a week or even when one of us has been looking for work. Life's just like that sometimes. You're right if you can't handle your girlfriend working overtime in the summer and feel the need to wait for hours behind her work then get upset about it...you should break up with her...that's #ing insane....and maybe get some hobbies or something...

Or hey how bout some helpful suggestions. You could always get some food together while she's working overtime meet her later than normal and go for a picnic or something or have a dinner ready at home for her. Maybe have something planned that helps reduce the stress of working overtime instead of causing more by being a dick after.

Maybe take the time you're waiting to do some self improvement. Try meditating to make you less of a dick. Hit up a gym or something, read a book, learn a foreign language, study some math, maybe bring a laptop and learn some computer programming, learn to play a musical instrument while you wait. There's lots you could do instead of waiting around getting worked up.
edit on 11/8/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
To the OP, I don't want to be the person to suggest this, but I've seen this happen between quite a few couples in college and just after who had stories almost identical to yours and it always turned out that the person "working' all that over time was cheating on their significant other and they were doing it with people they worked with. I remember talking to one guy who was cheating with a bunch of the girls he worked with (seemed to change every couple weeks, he was their manager...) and he loved it because he would work overtime and get paid to fool around while on the clock getting time and a half! A half hour in one of the suites he was "inspecting" was normal maybe a couple times a day. He'd work overtime if a new girl started working (at a later shift) so he could work his "magic". He ended up getting dumped by his long time GF and got fired so I guess he got what was coming to him.

In these situations, if you are asking the question "are they" then that isn't a good sign and people with experience will tell you your gut is usually correct in these cases. So, hope that isn't what you are dealing with, but people will do all kinds of mental gymnastics to convince themselves that this isn't happening (to save their ego I guess) when to the outsider, it is completely obvious.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Welcome to the reality of wage stagnation where most are cornered into working more with the expectation they're making more, yet the government takes more the more you make. You sacrifice time, health, relationships, and sanity to fill the coffers that ultimately subdue you.

Wonderful world.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join