It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter Permanently BANS Conservative Gavin McInnes and the Official Proud Boys Account

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Looks like this is ahead of the Unite the Right 2 rally this weekend.

I'm not a fan of Gavin myself, nor do I know much about the Proud Boys. They are a little too far right for my taste, I'm just bringing it to the masses here at ATS.

I don't like what I'm seeing though with what appears to be a target for censoring conservatives. I understand Twitter is a private company and they are allowed to do as they please with their platform, however I feel it's setting a dangerous precedence. If you play with fire, your bound to get burnt. They say it's for hate speech.

I won't be commenting much as I don't have a strong enough opinion about it.

Sources:
The Gateway Pundit
Huffington Post
Breitbart
CBS News

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

sounds like a dip#

maybe airbnb will still have him

The Proud Boys have a four-degree initiation process for new members.[18] In the first degree, a recruit must declare "I am a Western chauvinist who refuses to apologize for creating the modern world."[19] The second degree involves five or more Proud Boys punching the recruit until he names five breakfast cereals. To earn the third degree, the recruit must get a Proud Boy tattoo.[20] The Proud Boys' website says that the fourth degree is reserved for those who have "endured a major conflict related to the cause."

In February 2017, McInnes arrived at New York University to give a speech, accompanied by a group of about ten Proud Boys. Minor scuffles broke out between Proud Boys and Antifa protesters, and the NYPD said that eleven people faced criminal charges. One member of the Proud Boys encouraged others to fight the "faggots wearing black that won't let us in", and was later arrested for punching a reporter

reads like they have clashed with antifa quite a bit.
i know i know.

its not their fault.
edit on 11-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   

and on this day no shlts were given.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Yeah I'm not defending them here. I think they are all a$$hats.

Unite the right is stupid.

Antifa is stupid.

It's all stupid and running this country into the ground.

+17 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Seig Heil Twitter!

Keep burning those books!

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Banning them is indeed a form of censorship, but not banning them would mean supporting them. Twitter bans people every day, it's just that most of the bans are approved of by most people. I'm sure you can think of opinions or ideologies that you would ban, if you were in charge of Twitter. Well, maybe not, I don't know you.

They have a legal right to ban, but do they have a moral right? I think so, but who can say?

What if Twitter isn't being evil, what if they genuinely believe the Proud Boys are evil? Then it would be evil not to ban them. Twitter doesn't have a duty to support any ideology. But they have right to support an ideology if they wish so.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I don't know much about the Proud Boys, but they sound like a bunch of young dumb farts who organized to contend with another bunch of young dumb farts, Antifa.
There is nothing wrong with Gavin that I know of. He can be a little hyperbolic, but hate speech?

Facebook and Twitter are teetering fine lines. Sure, they are within their rights to disallow whomever they like from their services, and I wouldn't encourage that the principle of their right to do so be infringed. Still... they clearly are biased, and their impact on society at large is arguably considerable. At what point do some of these big shot corporations and institutes constitute a sort of 4th branch of government?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

"I like being a Free Market Capitalist except when I don't. Waaa!"

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
maybe airbnb will still have him

The Proud Boys have a four-degree initiation process for new members.[18] In the first degree, a recruit must declare "I am a Western chauvinist who refuses to apologize for creating the modern world."[19] The second degree involves five or more Proud Boys punching the recruit until he names five breakfast cereals. To earn the third degree, the recruit must get a Proud Boy tattoo.[20] The Proud Boys' website says that the fourth degree is reserved for those who have "endured a major conflict related to the cause."

Is it me or is that initiation really gay?

edit on 11-8-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Where's free market when a company intentionally throws money away?

Yall would be singing a different tune if Google,Facebook,Twitter, Abovetopsecret started banning liberals.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: filthyphilanthropist

That is true. Twitter has more power than most governments do, maybe even more power than the US government, when it comes to media, although theoretically the US gov could shut them down. Twitter definitely has a monopoly of the particular service they provide. So, I can see how it's unfair to the right.

But if we force twitter to accept all users, then maybe we should force priests to marry gay couples too, and other such things that the right doesn't like. At least to me it's the same thing.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Where's free market when a company intentionally throws money away?

Yall would be singing a different tune if Google,Facebook,Twitter, Abovetopsecret started banning liberals.

"I want a private enterprise to share my morals!" *virtue signals*

Lol'ing at 'y'all'.

John Wayne Voice: Okay pilgrum, in case you haven't noticed I did give a rat's patootie what a private company does or doesn't in regards their customers. Their money, their call, pard.

edit on 11-8-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Keep trolling.

Ciao.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

It's censorship. Is it legal?

Yes.

But it is still censorship.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Keep whining. I'm sure all these private businesses really care that you're upset that they banned people they don't like. Maybe you can help these poor slobs out and start your own social media platform and then you can ban the mean old Libs from it and go nyah, nyah, nanny booboo.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, but if you force them not to censor, then it's the opposite of censorship, it's compelled speech. Which is also exists in various forms enforced by US law, to be fair, so it wouldn't be unheard of I guess. But I don't know if it's any better than censorship, if we're trying find a moral high ground.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cutepants
...if we're trying find a moral high ground.

There is no moral high ground. You run a for profit business to be profitable and make decisions based on this rationale. If Twitter feels this is best for their company then they are well within their rights to do so while the people that they banned need to suck it up along with their mary supporters.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Does Antifa still have an account? A violent terrorist organization?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cutepants
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yeah, but if you force them not to censor, then it's the opposite of censorship, it's compelled speech. Which is also exists in various forms enforced by US law, to be fair, so it wouldn't be unheard of I guess. But I don't know if it's any better than censorship, if we're trying find a moral high ground.

True.

But Twitter and the like should not advertise themselves as public forums open to anyone.

They should say that they are an exclusive club of like-minded people and their only desire is to control the narrative and develop an echo-chamber for their own confirmation bias.

Now that being said, I'd wager that ISIS, KKK, BLM still have active accounts.

Which is disturbing.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

If I did.

I sure wouldn't use Google,Facebook,and Twitters model of crony capitalism.

The reader would be able to decide instead of decisions being made for them.

As the founding fathers envisioned.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join