It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fairfield SC losing another 126 jobs after TV-maker closes plant, citing Trump tariffs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

It'll to interesting

English please, if you're going to incoherently rant, just say so, so we know to make sense of the gibberish you speak.

I can't say that I'd consider the phrase 'it'll be interesting' to be an incoherent rant. But each to their own, I suppose.

You made a claim, YOU prove it to be truth.

Exactly what "claim" are you disputing?

Please explain in the most coherent way you possibly can.
edit on 11-8-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Funnily enough South Carolina will still go deep red for Trump in 2020. This is the State with a history of threatening secession over tariffs.

Interesting.

Yeah, it's very interesting... the countries that Trump slapped tariffs on are retaliating by putting levies on US products that will specifically hurt Trumps core base.

Elaborate on this false statement please.
edit on 11-8-2018 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

China's imports from the United States last year totaled $US153.9 billion. After the earlier tariffs $US34 billion of US goods, about $US120 billion is available for retaliation.

The highest penalties on the new list would be imposed on honey, vegetables, mushrooms and chemicals, targeting farming and mining areas that supported President Donald Trump in the 2016 election.

Source

Many other counties Trumps started a trade war with are also retaliating by putting levies on US goods, which will mainly effect Trumps support base... As in, goods in the mining and agriculture industry and also even bourbon.

But I thought this was all common knowledge?
edit on 11-8-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   

a reply to: Vector99

FYI, it's NOT Trump, it's their business...

Yes, all Trump did was cause new sky high taxes to be imposed on their foreign shipments and imports. But it's their fault right?

What do they import that was subject to tariffs?

You wont get an answer to that question. Certainly steel is not the issue. I own an element monitor and the its made almost entirely out of plastic. The 24" white bezel LCD they sell at walmart is my favorite that I have ever owned. I cannot imagine what part in a $120 monitor would put a company out of business. Have they thought about oh, I dunno... raising their prices to adjust for the difference in cost? Most businesses pass these things on to the consumer.
edit on 11-8-2018 by drewlander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Funnily enough South Carolina will still go deep red for Trump in 2020. This is the State with a history of threatening secession over tariffs.

Interesting.

Yeah, it's very interesting... the countries that Trump slapped tariffs on are retaliating by putting levies on US products that will specifically hurt Trumps core base.

Elaborate on this false statement please.

China put 16 billion in tarrifs on products that are not the chief export of California and New York (blue states). Farmers got pissed and received 12 billion in assistance. China tariff succeeded in showing farmers can get by on 25% less than the China tariff. Trump won.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
They could restart in 3-6 months but laypffs don't start for 3 months it says October it is just a stunt for publicity.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

it's NOT Trump, it's their business...

It's 100% Trump, you can lie and worship him all you want, it doesn't change reality.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

I know the tariffs didn't really help, but I honestly can't help but wonder.......if Element actually made high-quality tv's, would they still be in this mess??

I used to work in electronics sales and I know a lot of different brands out there, but I never heard of Element until I moved into the small town I live in now. I've noticed that even though their tv's are cheap, everything about them is cheap as well. They're not a brand I would EVER recommend to anyone, even those wanting to keep things cheap.

So hearing this honestly doesn't surprise me. It sucks to hear of the job loss, but I was honestly expecting this from them, tariffs or not.

***Edit***

Sad part is, when I read the headline, I actually wondered if it was Element. lol
edit on 11-8-2018 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Samsung brings 400 new jobs to South Carolina.

www.digitaltrends.com...

You can look at any state in the country, and pick what fits your narrative. Democrats need to be more creative, LOL.

Horrible deflection ☝️

Would you be able to provide for your family working in a call center? Normally you people make fun of these workers and claim they've taken a wrong turn in life. A minimum wage call center opens up in SC under the Trump administration and all of a sudden it fits your narrative, LOL.

Also, how does this change that MANY people are losing work due to Trump's trade war?

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

The evidence is mounting that this stupid trade war is starting to effect American companies. His followers will never admit it though.

Trump's Tariffs Have Led to Layoffs at U.S. Manufacturers

Despite his promising to be “the greatest jobs producer that God ever created” after winning the presidency, Trump’s recent slew of overseas tariffs has led to an increasing number of job losses at home.

Here's How Many Jobs America Could Lose Because of the Trump Tariffs

The Trump trade war has been blamed for all of the events above. What’s more, a wide range of analysts and studies shows that the Trump tariffs are likely to kill the jobs of many more American workers, either because protectionist trade policies push companies to shift jobs overseas or because companies are forced to eliminate jobs entirely after finding they can no longer compete in the global marketplace.

Trump’s Unpopular Tariffs Could Cost U.S. 400,000 Jobs, Economists Estimate

President Donald Trump’s recent tariffs against major U.S. allies like Canada, Mexico and the European Union could cost the country 400,000 jobs, economists estimate

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: JosephKnecht

originally posted by: carewemust

Samsung brings 400 new jobs to South Carolina.

www.digitaltrends.com...

You can look at any state in the country, and pick what fits your narrative. Democrats need to be more creative, LOL.

Horrible deflection ☝️

Would you be able to provide for your family working in a call center? Normally you people make fun of these workers and claim they've taken a wrong turn in life. A minimum wage call center opens up in SC under the Trump administration and all of a sudden it fits your narrative, LOL.

Also, how does this change that MANY people are losing work due to Trump's trade war?

Seems the average payrate is $12.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: damonster

The evidence is mounting that this stupid trade war is starting to effect American companies. His followers will never admit it though.

Trump's Tariffs Have Led to Layoffs at U.S. Manufacturers

Despite his promising to be “the greatest jobs producer that God ever created” after winning the presidency, Trump’s recent slew of overseas tariffs has led to an increasing number of job losses at home.

Here's How Many Jobs America Could Lose Because of the Trump Tariffs

The Trump trade war has been blamed for all of the events above. What’s more, a wide range of analysts and studies shows that the Trump tariffs are likely to kill the jobs of many more American workers, either because protectionist trade policies push companies to shift jobs overseas or because companies are forced to eliminate jobs entirely after finding they can no longer compete in the global marketplace.

Trump’s Unpopular Tariffs Could Cost U.S. 400,000 Jobs, Economists Estimate

President Donald Trump’s recent tariffs against major U.S. allies like Canada, Mexico and the European Union could cost the country 400,000 jobs, economists estimate

Awesome sources.

/s

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Why thank you.

/s

If only they were gateway pundit, conservative tree house or fox News, legit sources.

/s

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Yawn. I love how you only post negative things and never anything positive. Your partisan bias makes you a laughing stock. If you actually cared about the issues you would post the facts regardless of how you could spin it against Trump.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

U.S. average hourly earnings adjusted for inflation fell 0.2 percent in July from a year earlier, data released on Friday showed, notching the lowest reading since 2012. While inflation isn’t high in historical terms, after years of being too low following the 2007-2009 recession, its recent gains are taking a bigger bite out of U.S. paychecks.

www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

So inflation was too low, and it's not high now, it's right where it should be. Thanks for that.

Where was the OP when this was news? Anywhere?

Black unemployment rate hits a record low

money.cnn.com...
edit on 11-8-2018 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Getting there. I wonder if the big bad Fed has something to do with that.

Too bad wages aren't able to keep up though. What with those bitchin' corporate tax cuts and everything.

edit on 8/11/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

And that is something new and Trump's fault? Or is it something that has been a problem for the past 50 years?

My point is the OP only cares about stories about jobs that they can turn into an anti Trump post, they don't actually care about jobs as an issue. If they did they would report regardless of how the spin makes Trump look.

I have no problem praising Trump for doing good things, and then calling him out on bad things.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Trump hasn't done crap. Except set tariffs.

But that Republican congress sure did. Them corporate tax cuts and stuff. Sure helped the workers. Did wonders for the deficit too!

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Then Trump has not done anything so this story should not be about him. Either way my point stands. If you give Trump credit give him credit either way. If you don't give him credit then don't post how it's his fault if he didn't do anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join