It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writer...you know?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
You know, I'd love to be a "writer" on this forum, and I can write (as some may know), but I generally don't like the topics in the writing contests. I wrote one article which was kind a funny anecdote to one theme and got a lackluster response (I think it was deemed somewhat off-topic, being comedy on a serious fantasy thread).

It's not really a big deal, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it, but is there any consideration for some of the stuff I've posted? I'm not a big 'competition' guy. I just write in the moment. Is that worth anything? (No worries if the answer is "no".)

I really don't see how anyone can say another person is a 'writer' when someone else picks the topic.

Just curious.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Silly idea, I know!

Never mind.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

As far as I'm aware the only way is to enter one of the writing competitions and compete with other members. (It's how I got my writer status). Bribing a Mod with some of your fine home-cooking might work too though.

At the end of the day it's just a label. You write beautifully and I enjoy your threads with or without writer status.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 03:08 AM
link   

I feel that way too a lot. Obtaining the ‘writer’ status didn’t help my feelings of being underappreciated when I thought I wrote a beautiful piece. But a few times even when what I thought of as a beautifully written OP didn’t get enough ‘praise’ from the community than I thought it deserved, I got an applause, and that made it worthwhile to me.

My advice to you is to just keep pumping away at what you are doing because even though there aren’t a whole lot of stars and attention going to that particular writing, it’s the quality of responses that count not the quantity.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 04:58 AM
link   

Good luck with your writing efforts. The competitions are fun and having to write anything outside of your box is good for you. Persist with the topics you don't like and enter. It might push you out of your comfort zone and make you a better writer.

There are different writing styles and that usually is part of the writing topics.

Good luck. 🤗

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   

to address your curiosity, that's just what it is: to receive "writers" status does mean that you compete and run with the topic asked for. that's how you get it. and then people star and flag you if they like your story. to be honest, i did not read your story because it was just too long for me. i have sooooo many interests and i'm sooooo slow that i have to prioritize. the days are so short.

but it's not a big deal. that status alone does not make you a writer.

you are a writer! i think to be member on ats does mean to be a writer. people here write. some write a lot. the more you write the more a writer you are. so, having said that, i'm not a writer. i mean you would hardly know me as a member since i hardly write. now i have the writer status and i learned to live with it.

then there is the question of whether one is a good writer or not. once in a while i like to write a story. unlike you, the topics do inspire me, it gets my fantasy flowing. but i don't think i'm such a good writer, i'm really stuck with a vocabulary that i acquired over the years. i can not express myself as intricate as i wish or could in a language i speak more fluently.

therefore i think you would have earned it more to be labelled a "writer". i would gladly give you my writer status. just keep trying, enter stories, you are good !

edit on 11-8-2018 by lucia2389 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Someone once told me that everything you write you write for yourself. Writing is personal and the best writing is done when the writer is passionate about the subject. So, never write a piece to win a contest. Intent is everything I guess. Write the story with no other purpose then to share your thoughts/ideas/imagination with the readers.

I think you already do that though. I see it in your threads. Just translate that into a short story contest and you should do well.

The thing I like about the short story contests is that the subjects are left wide open to interpretation. Your own imagination is the only thing that limits you. Even a slight mention of the topic qualifies you for entry. You have a great imagination so I don't think you will/would have any issues with somehow incorporating whatever the topic is into your story.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work in the next contest!

Thanks,
blend

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Dude. You write for yourself. If people like it all the better. Type em up man.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I love the way you paint with words. You, sir, are a writer.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I'm the same way. I feel like I really need for the idea to float to me out of the ether rather than a predetermined subject. The writing just flows better that way. Oh well.

top topics

join