It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fat police lock up Chris

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:17 AM
link   
SOBBING 31-stone Chris Leppard was dragged off to a mental hospital against his will by meddling social workers and police.

Chris, 23, has been forcibly detained for a month because he cannot stop eating.

The authorities used powers normally used to detain mentally ill people who might harm themselves or others.

They locked him up despite the fact neither he nor his family wanted him to go. Last night Chris’s furious mother Anne said he has no mental problems and was winning his fight against the rare illness that compels him to eat.

Chris’s case was condemned by opponents of a nanny state. They asked whether others with life-threatening addictions could be next.

Mum Anne, 49, told of the agonising moment the ambulance came to take Chris — without warning.

She said: “Four people turned up and after some questions, said they were taking him away. Chris was really upset, crying, saying he didn’t want to go and that he wasn’t mental.

“We didn’t know they were coming to take him. He is being punished for being ill. He has a physical problem. He was working well towards losing weight."

www.thesun.co.uk...

More liberal insanity. If a woman can murder her child in something called "abortion", why can't this guy eat what he wants. Isn't it a "right" to privacy.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I agree totally but why do you assume its the liberals wanting this done. The liberals would be more in agrrement that it is no ones business but his own.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
I agree totally but why do you assume its the liberals wanting this done. The liberals would be more in agrrement that it is no ones business but his own.

No its the liberals that want to control everything through twisted, arrogant PCness. PCness says this guy can't take care of himself so "we" must do it for him. Conservatives would say he has the freedom to do what he wants.................

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:34 AM
link   
That what conservatives say you know keep government out of lives but look who is invading it more and more, the government. And that is under a more conservative republican government than we have ever had before. Since we have had a republican controlled government they have interfered in marriage laws and sought to change them, are currently working toward tort reform to limit a company's liability if you prove their mistake caused you injury, and last I heard was seeking to require all children and adults to have a mental health exam, yeah its a good thing them conservatives won't to stay out of our lives.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by goose]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
At first, I thought this was just tabloid news...(the Sun??)...but I did a search and theres many other sources to this story....
----------------------
The 23-year-old, who has a disorder that gives him an insatiable appetite, was sectioned under the mental health act on Tuesday.
His mother is angry because she says Chris, who suffers from Prader-Willi Syndrome, had begun a strict dieting regime and should have been given more time.
Police and social services arrived at his home in Chiltern Drive on Tuesday and served the order.
At first Chris refused to go in the ambulance but he eventually left in tears in a police car to be driven to the Eastbourne Clinic where he could be kept for up to six weeks while he is assessed.
Mum, Anne, said: "I'm so angry. He was working well towards losing weight himself. They have taken all that away - they have rail roaded the whole thing."
Chris spoke to the Observer last month because he wanted readers to know it was not greed that triggered his bulk.
One in 16,000 people suffer from PW. Symptoms include ferocious hunger and learning difficulties.
Football fan Chris had signed a contract with Anne promising to exercise daily. He was following a strict diet plan, had cut out his favourite foods - crisps and cakes - and was seeing PW experts.
After the publicity Chris had more contact with support services and his mum fears that by making them aware of his problem they decided drastic action had to be taken.

www.hastingstoday.co.uk...
--------------

moral of the story, if you have a problem, keep it hidden....

When are they gonna start locking up all those lazy car addicts, I mean those guys are really nuts, and dangerous. Not only do they want to kill themselves......just look at how most of them are driving!!......but they are killing the whole planet!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I remember seeing him in a documentary with some other people on it who had the same condition, i was hungry as hell watchin it. there was a younger guy on it who was 17 stone and he was like 11 or something

very sad to see somethin like that

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RENEGADE CELL
I remember seeing him in a documentary with some other people on it who had the same condition, i was hungry as hell watchin it. there was a younger guy on it who was 17 stone and he was like 11 or something

very sad to see somethin like that
Yes this is very sad but a VERY dangerous issue. These same "do gooders" are the ones who will control the very food everyone is 'allowed" to eat becuase of the "cost" to health care.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by DrHoracid]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Its not just Chris, all of American's are getting bigger, in the 1930's the average woman's shoe size was 5 now it is 8.5. Our actual frames are getting bigger and while some might say that is because of nutrition more people were eating healthier non processed foods back then. I think it is the hormons they are shooting the animals up with up to get them to mature faster and grow faster and bigger and then we eat it. But their not looking at that they are just criticizing people who are overweight blaming them for higher insurance. I agree before long it might be a normal thing for us all to be locked up for treatment and forced to undergo treatments for these things. Its not right foir them to do this and it sounds like this kid was already trying to do it on his own. BTW I am a liberal and I am totally against this.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by goose
Its not just Chris, all of American's are getting bigger, in the 1930's the average woman's shoe size was 5 now it is 8.5. Our actual frames are getting bigger and while some might say that is because of nutrition more people were eating healthier non processed foods back then. I think it is the hormons they are shooting the animals up with up to get them to mature faster and grow faster and bigger and then we eat it. But their not looking at that they are just criticizing people who are overweight blaming them for higher insurance. I agree before long it might be a normal thing for us all to be locked up for treatment and forced to undergo treatments for these things. Its not right foir them to do this and it sounds like this kid was already trying to do it on his own. BTW I am a liberal and I am totally against this.

Ok now I know of at least on lib who isn't completely brain dead, thank you for destroying my life......

Seriously, there is a move to provide a 'fat tax" again on fast food etc.....

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Question. Why the F*** does everything have to be Liberal vs Conservatives? I mean it seems to me that this has no relevance to the topic at hand whatsoever.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
err, this is an act that can cause death if not stopped, i mean, what would you have them do?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420
err, this is an act that can cause death if not stopped, i mean, what would you have them do?

If the guy wants to stuff his face till he blows up I really could give less than a crap. If he's not willing to help himself then that's his problem. I don't pitty anyone who has any sort of addiction be it alcohol, drugs, cigarettes, or in this case food. People know that the overdoing any of the above is bad for you yet they still do it, so you know what? F*** em!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jprophet420

err, Suicide by "food" is not a recognized weapon. err, gays going out and intentionally catching HIV doesn't get them locked up. errr?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
Question. Why the F*** does everything have to be Liberal vs Conservatives? I mean it seems to me that this has no relevance to the topic at hand whatsoever.

Really.........40 years of insanity in the congress with moronic laws that "protect" people from themselves has no relevance?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Really.........40 years of insanity in the congress with moronic laws that "protect" people from themselves has no relevance?

Whatever man. If you need to break down everything into Liberals vs Conservatives just so your simple mind can process it then go right ahead. Knock yourself out. Literally.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
have you ever had panceratitus? i have. it is allegedly more painfull than giving birth, but it lasts for weeks. it is painfull enough to cause loss of conciuosness, and although i have never given birth, it is the most painfull thing i can imagine. they give you 8mg of hydromorphine (dilaudid) which is about 100 times more potent than morphine. If he overeats enough that will be the FIRST thing that happens. after a while his internal organs will stop making the enzymes he needs to digest food at all and he will die.

ok, please, stop and think. forget politics, just think of the human being. would you want any human being to go through that? i certainly would not. conservative or liberal, no one should die a slow death of torture, and if it can be prevented it needs to be.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I was going to comment on the thread topic, but i'm not going to as it has gone way 'off topic'.

Sanc'.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
i think this is WRONG why you ask? wtf who cares if he wants to stuff his face till he dies he should've been able to go in without being forced I find this inhumanine I mean by all accounts the kid well working his problem out I mean why fix a problem that is already in the process of being fixed this is sad

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
how on 'gods green earth' is preventing someone from going though a terrible painfull self induced death inhumane?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanctum
I was going to comment on the thread topic, but i'm not going to as it has gone way 'off topic'.

Sanc'.

Yes it certainly seems this way to me too. First off, this is a story from the UK people, not the USA, and as such has nothing whatsoever to with medical and welfare issues across the atlantic. Secondly, some posters obviously haven't bothered to RTFA, as it would become apparent that this poor chap has a medical condition called Prader-Willi syndrome which prevents him from knowing when his stomach is full, and could lead to him eating enough to kill him.

Which is why there is such an uproar about the social services using powers normally used for people with a mental illness, when this chap has a physical one. Plus the fact that it appears no one has tried hard enough to help him in his own home before carting him off for whatever treatment he's deemed to need.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join