It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airbnb Warns It May Ban Unite The Right Rally Participants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Airbnb said it is prepared to ban users who participate in the white supremacist Unite the Right 2 rally in Washington, D.C., this weekend, for violating its community policies. Last year the company canceled accounts and bookings associated with the original rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. One person, Heather Heyer, was killed there when a driver rammed his vehicle into a group of counterprotesters. Airbnb cites its community commitment and nondiscrimination policy as grounds for shuttering those accounts. Company spokesman Nick Papas told HuffPost in a statement that it would identify individuals “pursuing behavior on the Airbnb platform that would be antithetical to the Airbnb Community Commitment.” “We seek to take appropriate action, which may include removing them from the platform,” he said. “We acted in advance of last year’s horrific event in Charlottesville and if we become aware of similar information we won’t hesitate to do so again.”

how do you feel about this?

would you support their decision in banning people?

going to have a bunch of good ole boys showing up to their rented bungalow and then be turned away?

hahahahahahaha

i am more interested in how they would decide who violates their policy. like what is the deciding factor

anyone know what they go off?

edit on 10-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

Airbnb didn’t disclose how many bookings or accounts were canceled last year, but Unite the Right organizer Jason Kessler told The New York Times that “hundreds of people have been put out of their accommodations.” He tweeted that the company and the Charlottesville government were attacking “free speech and civil rights.”

is it attacking free speech or is it a company refusing service based on people braking their policy?

this is interesting
edit on 10-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Private company, they're free to do so.

My only concern would be how they come to the conclusion of someone's political affiliation.

That could bite them in the ass though. I can see someone now trolling with a maga hat and getting turned away only to be on Fox News an hour later.
edit on 10-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Unless they have proof that they intend to incite a riot, then no, I don't agree with it.

They have the right to get out there and show their ignorance, and the police have the right to put them in jail if it goes too far.

my two

+1 more 
link   

Airbnb cites its community commitment and nondiscrimination policy as grounds for shuttering those accounts.

They cited their non-discrimination policy while discriminating against these people?

That's quite the policy. Sounds like pretty typical left leaning thinking though- "it's only okay to discriminate against people we don't like!"
edit on 10-8-2018 by an325nt because: (no reason given)

link   

I guess it's okay to discriminate against individual beliefs now.

If it's okay for this group, what's to differentiate amongst any other group?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Have they Banned any African Americans communities during protests after a White Cop killed a black man?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
So are they not going to allow any airbnb's at all or do they have some way to determine who is good and who is bad?

Where do they draw the line?

Do they police other distasteful events? NAMBLA convention airbnbs?
edit on 10-8-2018 by Edumakated because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

I feel lucky I opened my eyes and #walkedaway.

These people are stupid.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's not ok to discriminate.

If someone violates their policy it's not discriminating though.

Which is why I am interested in how they come to the conclusion someone violates the policy.

A lot on here felt the bakery didn't have to bake the cake for the gay people.
Is this the same type of deal?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Selective Banning. Simple as that. Only those that think left are only allowed to use our services. Group think mentality at work. The fact that a private company can make up its own rules to suit their agenda should be regulated.

Fakebook does it. Lefttube does it. Instaban does it. Spotileft does it. Google does it.

A dictatorship by technology and no government involvement needed.
edit on 10-8-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's not ok to discriminate.

If someone violates their policy it's not discriminating though.

Which is why I am interested in how they come to the conclusion someone violates the policy.

A lot on here felt the bakery didn't have to bake the cake for the gay people.
Is this the same type of deal?

Public accommodation certainly comes into play.

But this is discrimination simply because people want to exercise their 1st amendment right to protest.

They should embrace the fact that they are anti-Constitutional.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:38 AM
link   

you know i haven't actually SEEN the unite the right DO anything racist... i think its just that whenever a group of white people (particularly men) get together to do ANYTHING (even if they literally just joined hands and prayed quietly) it would be deemed racist... they everyone just repeats how racist it is until its a "fact" and then attacked by ANTIFA because they are clearly obviously racists because everyone just keeps repeating how racist they are.

This corporate subversion of liberties is concerning, not that they do it but because everyone just says "Private company, they're free to do so." like private companies don't control the means to do everything

Sorry no train or bus rides, its a private company...
sorry no grocery sopping, its a private company...
sorry you can't purchase electricity/internet/phone... its a private company

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I feel the same on this as any other discrimination situation.

If it results in them not being able to have a bed anywhere then it is wrong.

If they can get a room at tha inn then it is okie dokie.

As long as people have other options then were good.
edit on 10-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   
A total violation of the first and 14th amendment.

The first protects political speech, and assembly.

Your free not to like them.

But there is NO GD difference between nazi's and communists,

The great thing about this country.

Every single political ideology has a right to coexist right along another.

Even if you detest it.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   

would you support their decision in banning people?

going to have a bunch of good ole boys showing up to their rented bungalow and then be turned away?

Personally, I wouldn't care what they do. Who wants to pay money to a business that doesn't want you anyway? All I know is that if they waited until the minute I show up to turn me away, they better be prepared to be the ones to find me comparable accommodations with a vacancy, otherwise, send me a notice of your intentions beforehand so I can cancel and find them myself.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

That protects you from the Government violating your rights.

If someone doesn't want to do business with you because they don't agree with what you have to say. That's between the two parties.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

That's funny.

Wedding cake bakers didn't have the right to refuse service.

Now business suddenly do.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   

How do they know who's attending the rally? Do you have to tell them your purpose for staying in an airbnb? Or did people just tell them oh ya and i'm heading to a rally while i'm there? Or does airbnb stalk your online profiles and use that to determine it?

How do they have any idea who to ban?
I'm genuinely curious how they do this because, looking on their website, I see no please enter your political affiliation section....
edit on 10/8/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I have no horse in the race so to speak but I wonder, if a hotel or AirBnB refused to provide accommodation for a Black Lives Matters gathering or a Planned Parent Hood March what the outcry would be ?

I certainly don't support racism nor would I support any organizations who do, but when we deny basic services such as housing, food, or other retail services as we have seen as of late, have we not become exactly what we abhor ?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

No one is being denied services if they can still get the services somewhere else.

Only if no options are in place is it a problem.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join