It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus practice Bodhicitta

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
How does one experience Nirvana if there is no self to experience it?

Freedom and the feeling of ceasing into existence?

Finally be able to die peaceful is a blis or nirvana for those who suffer countless numbers of repeated rebirth.

What happen after Nirvana, while you are still living your last cycle of life's? Only persons like Siddhartha Gautama Buddha and Dalai Lama would know the answer. I know I haven't reach that state yet, nor I intend to.

This is a good way for those who is not seeking eternal life spiritually outside the salvation of Christ, but still within the grace of God, for their hard works. I mean it's a very hard works and take a long way to finally free oneself from "suffering," or the chain of fate written upon men's fate. Also, it doesn't conflict with Judaism's second concept of second death, or Permanent Death. It's win-win situation where no one is wrong with their belief.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Because a God will know each step he makes will be successful before he takes that step. A God will know the best possible outcomes from all of life's paradoxes.

But God knows that we're not capable of being perfect on this side of Heaven. That's why He provided us with a plan for salvation.

Even though He knew we would fail, dating back to the Garden of Eden, He thought it was worth it to create man anyway. While God gave us free will, which turns out to be our ultimate downfall, He wanted us to choose Him from that free will, instead of forcing His will on us.

edit on 12-8-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Each one of us is the garden of Eden. Adam is the white wolf. Eve the black wolf. It was not by accident we fall from grace because GOD knew before our creation that it would occur, It was by design. Kabbalah tells us that each one of us is already perfectly enlightened in the timeless spiritual world but we have to experience that perfection in our sensations. So God created this playpen for us to experience all that can be experienced.

So never underestimate your unconquerable soul.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I think you have totally misunderstood the purpose of the thread. I am not saying buddhism is better than Christianity or vice versa. Its not a football match. Each has different benefits for different mindsets.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: lostgirl
I don't know if this is important. But I use to talk to a lady in youtube that claimed she was in direct contact with Jesus. She asked if any of her followers wanted Jesus to come to them and I of cause answered yes. The entity that came to me was very strong and put images in my awakened mind that I didn't understand to latter. One of them was a foot about to step into water. The other a calendar with date of 6 March 2015. I suspect the entity was telling me that a new age was arriving. Perhaps a new messiah to correct the old, already walks among us.

Jesus doesn't communicate with people in that manner. However, remember how divination was described in my previous commentary (I'll add a bit now):

Divination embraces generally the whole scope of gaining secret knowledge, especially about future events, through the aid of spiritistic occult powers.
Practitioners of divination believe that superhuman gods reveal the future to those trained to read and interpret certain signs and omens, which, they say, are communicated in various ways: ...
Certain fields of divination have been given specific names. For example,... ; oneiromancy is divination by dreams; ...

Not sure how it's called when these images (interpreted by you as signs and omens) are put in your mind when you're awake, if that is what you meant with "awakened mind". Perhaps it was meant figuratively and it did happen in a dream (or while daydreaming). You may believe or imply this entity or "superhuman god" is Jesus revealing the future to you, but I'm pretty sure it isn't. Given the evidence, including that from the bible about topics such as divination. "And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light." (2 Cor. 11:14)

Man’s natural desire to know the future is satisfied when he worships and serves his Grand Creator, for through God’s channel of communication He lovingly reveals ahead of time what it is good for man to know. (Am 3:7) However, when men turn away from Jehovah and become alienated from the only One who knows the end from the beginning, they easily fall victim to spiritistic demon influence. Saul is such a striking example, one who at first looked to Jehovah for knowledge of future events but who, after being cut off from all contact with God because of his unfaithfulness, turned to the demons as a substitute for divine guidance.​—1Sa 28:6, 7; 1Ch 10:13, 14.

A sharp distinction, therefore, exists between revealed truth from God and information obtained by divination. Those who turn to the latter are often seized in violent convulsions by invisible demonic powers, sometimes working themselves into a frenzy by weird music and certain drugs. No such physical or mental distortions are experienced by true servants of Jehovah when moved by holy spirit to speak. (Ac 6:15; 2Pe 1:21) God’s prophets in a sense of duty spoke freely without payment; the pagan diviners plied their trade for selfish personal gain.

Nowhere in the Bible is any form of divination given a good connotation. ...

Source: Divination: Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 1

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I was responding to Isurrender73. Just responding to something he said that contradicts the fact that Jesus' and Buddha's teachings don't match on some of the most crucial issues. Showing what the noteworthy difference is between Jesus' teachings and those of Buddha. Which seemed quite appropiate for the thread and thread title as well. Especially these parts regarding Jesus:

Thus, in the final hours of his life, he could say to his disciples: “I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:34, 35) Therefore, the essence of Christianity in practice is self-sacrificing love based on principle. (Matthew 22:37-40) In practice this means that a Christian should love even his enemies, although he may hate their evil works. (Luke 6:27-31) ...

13. In what way was Jesus’ teaching different from that of Confucius, Lao-tzu, and the Buddha?

13 Yet, what Jesus taught was far more than an ethic or philosophy, such as those taught by Confucius and Lao-tzu. Furthermore, Jesus did not teach, as did the Buddha, that one can work out one’s own salvation by the pathway of knowledge and enlightenment. Rather, he pointed to God as the source of salvation when he said: “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. For God sent forth his Son into the world, not for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him.”​—John 3:16, 17.
By manifesting his Father’s love in his own words and deeds, Jesus drew people closer to God. ...

Again, I wonder, what has Buddha ever done or taught to further that goal of drawing people closer to God rather than drawing away disciples (or followers) after himself?
edit on 12-8-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

No I was awake and don't daydream like that. I saw a shadow against the wall approach a split second before the images appeared. First image was of me sitting in front of computer from perspective of screen which totally spooked me out so tried to block it (that's why I said it was powerful just couldn't block it), it then relented and showed me the other images. As you say might have been pretending to be Jesus, who knows!

Those who turn to the latter are often seized in violent convulsions by invisible demonic powers, sometimes working themselves into a frenzy by weird music and certain drugs.

Those spirits are from worlds between. Tibetan Buddhist still use oracles today to communicate with these spirits. One of todays oracles, Khandro La, self-arisen dakini, represents some of the most powerful spirits from words in between that stand guard over Buddhist dharma. There is a documentary about oracles if you interested learn more about how oracles communicate with spirits.

An article about Khandro La is here. She is definitely a living jewel. Humble to the extreme.

Khadro-la, I asked, “What is the most important thing that we can do to achieve greater enlightenment?”

Khadro-la: “People try spiritually to achieve realization. The true realization is to achieve a kind heart. Other than that, there is nothing really that is useful. Nothing else. Realistically, there is good and bad. The things that we can completely trust, that will never betray us or fail us, are kindheartedness and bodhicitta.”

edit on 12-8-2018 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

ok, sorry.

added...

Again, I wonder, what has Buddha ever done or taught to further that goal of drawing people closer to God rather than drawing away disciples (or followers) after himself?

I don't see Buddhism in competition with other religions. I consider it a philosophy of ones mind-ego. It concentrates on attacking the snake in Genesis. Not on God.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

There is a documentary about oracles if you interested learn more about how oracles communicate with spirits.

This is the fruit for lacking in spiritual guidance. You'll seek signs, including protection, with the lessers, such as spirits. This entities can be harmful and mischief, no matter what they're.

Be careful with the things you don't know, for the consequences can be dire.

That is the reason why divination is forbidden by God.
edit on 12-8-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Thank you for all your kind responses to me and for this thread as well...

I have actually been struggling with my Faith lately, and expressing myself here has helped me reaffirm all that I 'Believe in'..

I would just like to add that I agree with "EasternShadow" in his most recent post -

- urging caution with regard to 'entities', most especially it is not a good idea to 'allow' or 'invite' any of them into your presence...

...my feeling is that certain 'negatives' do masquerade as Light and can cause much damage to people.
edit on 12-8-2018 by lostgirl because: corrections

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow

I don't go out my way to really seek signs. But things happen. Thanks for your concern.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow

duplicate

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

originally posted by: chr0naut
Even for hive minds, there are still individual experiencers, but the absence of even a single individuality cannot experience anything.

Thanks for quoting all the vids..............I would bet you never bothered watching them!
There isn't any thing...................the first imagined thing was the separate self..............when this is found not to be then there is no thing.......just this that IS.
One without a second..

You can't disagree. There is no difference, no person.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

I am happy that you are finding peace in your heart. I wrote in earlier post that Khadro-la stated "the things that we can completely trust, that will never betray us or fail us, are kindheartedness and bodhicitta.” These words should be our religion. We both know they were the religion of Jesus. All the words in every religion can be summed up in that sentence. The rest is just noise.

When my mother departed, I was driving home in my car and was engulfed in a hurricane of love and concern. I immediately knew it was my mother and that she had died. I told her that I will be alright. I told her to go to GOD and I will meet her soon. So I really don't seek any further sign. Perhaps agreeing with the lady on youtube was stupid but in my defence I really didn't think anything would come of it (how could a entity track me through a youtube acoount!). But lesson learned.

Thank you Lostgirl

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   

a reply to: chr0naut

Because a God will know each step he makes will be successful before he takes that step. A God will know the best possible outcomes from all of life's paradoxes.

If Gospel of John was written by an over zealous christian in the 2nd
century then could not Jesus be a normal guy that attained spiritualism by fighting his demons. Isn't that a far greater message than a GOD walking earth sacrificed by mortals. Its certainly more believable.

The gospel of John was contemporary with Jesus. John was one of the 12 disciples. The gospel mentions that the writer was one of the 12 disciples and that he actually leaned against Jesus during the last supper (John 13:23), although the Gospel does not name the author.

Jesus was crucified in AD 33. Jerusalem and the temple was destroyed by the Romans in AD 70. No book in the New Testament makes mention of the destruction of Jerusalem and the temple (which for Jews was seen as the end of Judaism and the end of their world). This means that the entire New Testament, including all the Gospels, were originally penned some time in the intervening 37 years. So none of it is likely to have originated in the second century.

If Jesus was a just a guy who fought His own internal demons, them His life and Crucifixion is as meaningless to us as all the other 'good people' who have ever died.

Jesus didn't have "a demon" (although the meanings are different for the different faiths, it still holds), and was God. He said so:

The Jews answered him, “Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and have a demon?”

Jesus answered, “I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”

The Jews said to him, “Now we know that you have a demon! Abraham died, as did the prophets, yet you say, ‘If anyone keeps my word, he will never taste death.’ Are you greater than our father Abraham, who died? And the prophets died! Who do you make yourself out to be?”

Jesus answered, “If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing. It is my Father who glorifies me, of whom you say, ‘He is our God.’ But you have not known him. I know him. If I were to say that I do not know him, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and I keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced that he would see my day. He saw it and was glad.”

So the Jews said to him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have you seen Abraham?”

Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.” So they picked up stones to throw at him, but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple.

That title, "I am" is the Jewish name of God. If you are in any doubt about what Jesus was saying there, look at the reaction of the Jewish religious leaders. Stoning is the punishment for blasphemy. They clearly understood that Jesus was saying that He was God.

Isn't the greater message that God loved and cared for us enough to be tortured to death so that we may be able to make that step towards Him and enlightenment?

Jesus message was that other paths to God had failed. The evidence was that majority of humans for the majority of time had always come short of the requirements.

But God made us for a divine communion with Him, so the situation had to be fixed and, since we sucked at it, God would have to. So God came, instilled down to human form, in the person of Jesus.

Totally human, not superhuman, Jesus miracles were done on His behalf by the parts of God that were still running the universe. Jesus, as a human was totally human. That's why Jesus always referred to Himself as "the Son of Man". I mean, every human male can make the same claim, but for God to say it is significant!

Consider the implication of what Jesus said:

Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father is in Me—or at least believe on account of the works themselves. Truly, truly, I tell you, whoever believes in Me will also do the works that I am doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son.… (John 14:11-12.)

As well as fulfilling requirements on our behalf, the incarnation of Jesus is even more important in that He was an example, not of a fairly exceptional Buddha, but of an ordinary human who has that deep connection to God and not because He did it all on His own, but that God was reciprocating.

When Jesus prayed to God, He called God the Aramaic equivalent of "daddy", exemplified in His prayers in the Garden of Gethsemane, just before His Crucifixion (it has been suggested that "“No Jew ever called God abba, yet the evangelists record that Jesus always called God abba, ‘my Father’" - [except for the cry from the cross, Mark 15.34]. by Joachim Jeremias, The Prayers of Jesus [trans. C. Burchard and J. Reumann; London: SCM, 1967])

Heaven is being close to a God who actually deeply cares and loves. Heaven isn't just getting off the ride.

edit on 12/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Scholars over the centuries have studied the style and content of gospels. Looking for first person interjection from authors, Jewishness etc and its clear that Gospel of John wasn't written by a Jew (anti-Judaism John 8:44 etc), but likely a highly educated Christian. Given that John was illiterate (Acts 4:13) which is the more likely scenario?

Haven't a clue why you believe a biography of Jesus should include a war that occurred 40 years after his death.

If Jesus was a just a guy who fought His own internal demons, them His life and Crucifixion is as meaningless to us as all the other 'good people' who have ever died.

But good people did not achieve what Jesus achieved. (below)

Jesus, as a human was totally human. That's why Jesus always referred to Himself as "the Son of Man".

Now we getting somewhere. Jesus was human with a human brain that had human doubts "'My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me". These doubts are what I see as the ego-brain - snake - satan that Jesus went into the desert to overcome.

So we seem to be really arguing about our different interpretations of God. You see God as a single soul (Jesus). I adopt Hindu and Kabbalah belief that God is the universal soul. That all our human souls are within the matrix of God. So when I read about Jesus, I see a man that has opened his soul to the universal soul. Only the Son (singular soul) can witness the Father (universal soul). Only great avatars have acheived that. Noah, Krishna, Moses, Buddha and Jesus.

So what happens to good people that cannot kill their snake. We try again and again until we succeed in killing the snake. With each spiritual step making us stronger and the snake weaker.

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Scholars over the centuries have studied the style and content of gospels. Looking for first person interjection from authors, Jewishness etc and its clear that Gospel of John wasn't written by a Jew (anti-Judaism John 8:44 etc), but likely a highly educated Christian. Given that John was illiterate (Acts 4:13) which is the more likely scenario?

Scholars? For everyone who says that the Gospels are not what they say they are, there are 1,000 who say they are.

And if the Gospels are BS, even slightly, why should we give a lie any credence? Either they are entirely true, or they are worthless.

The Greek word "agrammatoi" (unlearned), used in the passage, is obviously at odds with the letters and accounts both John and Peter have penned.

In the context of the quoted passage in Acts 4, the scribes and legal scholars (those whose education continued on into adulthood) were amazed at the boldness and authority with which Peter and John spoke. The passage is saying that the Jewish scholars had assumed no advanced legal or religious training, but Peter and John were not like that in real experience.

The very names of John and Peter were Hellenistic and reflected Greek as being the language of trade in the vicinity at that time. Definitely, the Gospels mention that John was partner in a fishing business, inherited from his father, that had a fleet of boats. As such, he would have been quite wealthy and have carried on trade with other merchants which would have implied that fiscal calculations and written agreements were a day to day activity.

In the 1st Century, all Jewish boys between the age of 4 and 12 were educated to the point where they could read Hebrew, had a basic understanding of the Law & Prophets and were expected to have memorized a book of the Law or Prophets before they were 12 (the favorite book was Isaiah). Every synagogue and temple had scribes whose sole responsibility was to run schools for the children. The Muslim description of Jews were that they were "People of the Book".

To assume that the disciples were illiterate does not jibe with the facts of their writings or of the culture from which they came. They may not have participated in either Greek or Hebrew adult "schools", but that does not make them illiterate.

Haven't a clue why you believe a biography of Jesus should include a war that occurred 40 years after his death.

Jesus said, "tear down this temple and I will rebuild it in three days". If the Gospels had originated after the destruction of the temple, at least one writer would have made note of it, especially in regard to Jesus' words. None did.

And the New Testament goes beyond just a biography of Jesus. There were all the letters and the book of Acts that were about the Church after Jesus died and into the first Century. None of them mention the destruction of the temple or the siege of Jerusalem, either. Hence, they must all have been written prior to AD 70.

But good people did not achieve what Jesus achieved. (below)

Jesus, as a human was totally human. That's why Jesus always referred to Himself as "the Son of Man".
Now we getting somewhere. Jesus was human with a human brain that had human doubts "'My God, My God, Why Have You Forsaken Me". These doubts are what I see as the ego-brain - snake - satan that Jesus went into the desert to overcome.

Yes Jesus was human but He was God, too. Until you face that part of the story, you are missing the point.

You can't turn Jesus into another Buddha.

So we seem to be really arguing about our different interpretations of God. You see God as a single soul (Jesus). I adopt Hindu and Kabbalah belief that God is the universal soul.

The Christian God has more than one 'person'. In the Bible, there are three distinct persons revealed, hence the trinity, but in truth, there is also mention of seven spirits of God. Of course Kabbalah says that there are ten Sephirot or emanations of God. My guess is that they may all be right because we really don't know what those things actually mean. Perhaps we can never understand, but that is OK because it isn't what God needs us to know. If He did want us to know, He'd have told us clearly.

The thing is, the universal soul is a bit too universal. We exist as Creations of God but that doesn't mean we are little splinters of God. God in the Abrahamic tradition is 'other'.

This is also proven out by reality. God doesn't punish himself through the negative circumstances that people experience. That is because we are not little Gods or little bits of God. What God has created is not God in the same way that a painting is not its painter.

That all our human souls are within the matrix of God. So when I read about Jesus, I see a man that has opened his soul to the universal soul. Only the Son (singular soul) can witness the Father (universal soul). Only great avatars have acheived that. Noah, Krishna, Moses, Buddha and Jesus.

So what happens to good people that cannot kill their snake. We try again and again until we succeed in killing the snake. With each spiritual step making us stronger and the snake weaker.

The definition of sin makes us more culpable, ethically and morally, than having to just kill 'the snake'.

There is nothing that we can do on our own. We still haven't 'got it' to do what is really largely in the realm of God. That is why we need the 'hand up' from God. We aren't going to kill the snake without help. We'll just get bitten and poisoned.

edit on 13/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I dnt know why I suddenly recall this verse,

Genesis 3:15
And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

It appears that, God allow the serpent to strike our heel. It's not going to be an easy battle, so protect our heel at all cost. Is there any metaphor for protecting heel in Buddhism? Or should we wash our feet like Jesus did to his followers, including Judas Isariot? Just asking.

edit on 13-8-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 05:38 AM
link   

That title, "I am" is the Jewish name of God.

Notice that Gods name is not 'I was' or 'I will be'...............God is not in time!!
'I am' is now...'I am' is present tense.

Is there anything other than what is happening now?

Now is what is occurring ............as it occurs it disappears...........yet now never comes or goes.

'I am' IS the way the truth and the life.

edit on 13-8-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

In Christianity Jesus taught his followers to love one another. But how can one really love a rapist or serial killer.

The meaning of love is complicated at times. Jesus did love all people but He did not like all people.

Revelation_21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

As you can see, if you understand Jesus as all love with no hate then how can the Son be greater than the Father who has both love and hate? All manner of sin is accountable to the sinner and knows no preference in the lake of non consuming ethereal fire. Disbelief in the Father is as great as any offense of the body.

What then are we to do? We are to live in respect and peace to all people. That is the love that Jesus taught. Even though we sin not with the sinner we love the sinner as Jesus taught love to be. Not to embrace the sin or condone the sin but to love the sinner as from God. Make no mistake in believing that God rewards the one who does not repent. That one God hates as to destroy his/her presence forever.

God is not just love. God is all love but not just love, for He created both love and hate when He gave us the knowledge to understand. Even in hate does God love. Even in love did the Son overturn the temple tables but the offenders were the offense against love. As the Son scourged the temple it was in love for the Father but not for the offense. The Father weeps as the children reject Him and becomes uplifted in His only begotten Son. Love is very complicated and yet very simple.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join