It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus practice Bodhicitta

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow

thanks EasternShadow.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

thanks Deetermined.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

I understand exactly how you feel about all of that.

I too am disappointed in how the Catholic sect has created some of their own traditions and beliefs that are counter to the what the Bible teaches.

If you want to believe that everything man touches has been corrupted, then that's OK too. I'm not too far behind you.

I do believe that the God of the Bible has the power to preserve his word, even through imperfect men if He wants to.

While the Old Testament shows the wrath of God and the New Testament shows the loving side of God, sometimes you have to do what's necessary to preserve the people (Israelites) and the scriptures that you're depending on to spread that gospel. Satan has always done everything in his power to destroy the people and the scriptures throughout time.

While Jesus came here and taught us how to revere God and treat other people, He too has a wrathful side. While he said he didn't come to bring peace during his ministry, He did say that he would be returning with wrath to judge, and not just people either. God will be judging Satan and his angels as well as destroying the heavens and the earth as they currently exist. All will be made new. After that point, wrath won't be needed any longer. All on account of free will. Free will kind of sucks sometimes, doesn't it?

edit on 11-8-2018 by Deetermined because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined
Just out of curiosity, why would you believe what's written in the Bible if you don't believe most of it?

Do you believe the accuracy of oral transmission, the process of translating and writing it down? Do you believe the accuracy of copying it for thousand of times? Do you believe God preserve his words?

I don't.

As the matter of fact, I almost burn my Bible in dustbin.

originally posted by: Deetermined
Don't you kind of have to know who the "Comforter" is in order for him to teach you truth? What makes you think he will teach it to everyone? Shouldn't you be giving "the kingdom of God within" another name so it suits your beliefs?

I am a believer of God and something tell me, I just can't do it. I have spent almost my entire life looking for the truth. Somewhere there is the word god in the Bible.

He gives me visions of the past through the eyes of many dead persons. I can see the chaos the christian world suffered after the apostles died martyrdom....

I don't memorize the bible. It's just came to my mind spontaneously, as if I have known it by heart a long time ago.

John 16:1-4
I have told you these things so that you will not fall away. They will put you out of the synagogues.

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled; do not be afraid.

So yes, the "Comforter" did reach to me, so I don't give up and become an atheist.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Don't worry I promise to meditate on Jesus.

I don't know if this is important. But I use to talk to a lady in youtube that claimed she was in direct contact with Jesus. She asked if any of her followers wanted Jesus to come to them and I of cause answered yes. The entity that came to me was very strong and put images in my awakened mind that I didn't understand to latter. One of them was a foot about to step into water. The other a calendar with date of 6 March 2015. I suspect the entity was telling me that a new age was arriving. Perhaps a new messiah to correct the old, already walks among us.

Luke 22:10 He replied, "As you enter the city, a man carrying a jar of water will meet you. Follow him to the house that he enters.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I do believe that God has managed to preserve His word for us. I don't think he'd leave us to our own thoughts and ideas alone on the subject.

I also believe that you've been touched by the Holy Spirit, otherwise known as the "Comforter".

I would be interested in hearing about your visions, if you care to share. If you've already posted a thread on that somewhere in your profile, let me know.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

One of them was a foot about to step into water.

Jesus has been called the Fountain of Living Water in the Bible.

bible.knowing-jesus.com...

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

But that doesn't answer the date. I think it has to be astrological. Moses brought in the age of Aries (Jews blow the Ram's horn) from the age of Taurus (golden calf). Jesus was the age of Pisces (fish) which is why he sought fishermen as his apostles. The next new age is Aquarius which sign is water.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Its actually an air sign...

Even though its called the water bearer

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Yes I should have said symbol, water or jug filled with water. Its element or sign is air, Thanks.
edit on 12-8-2018 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: EasternShadow

originally posted by: chr0naut
I thought Nirvana ('blowing out' or 'quenching') is the goal of Buddhism - nonexistence or nihilism, not heaven.

The goal of all Christians is to become like Jesus Christ. He was an example of how we are to be motivated and live our lives. Heaven, the Kingdom of God, is a consequence of that.

Nirvana is the highest state of individual's achievement. It is a state where individual finally escape from infinite cycles of rebirth ( sa sara ). It is where an individual become anatta ( non-self ) and sunyata (emptiness) state.

This is the path Theravada Buddhism.

The path of Mahayana Buddhism, however, isn't all about individual archievement or ( selfishness ). It is a path of sacrificing oneself for the benefit of every sentient life. It's more or less what Jesus did, minus the blood sacrificing. It also a path toward anatta ( non-self ) and sunyata ( emptiness ), which is Nirvana.

How does one experience Nirvana if there is no self to experience it?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

It is ultimately about realising/recognising there is no thing separate.
If there is no thing separate...then there isn't anyone......there is just this that IS.

No person can become enlightened!!!

Isn't that the same as saying that there is no enlightenment for any person?

I.e: enlightenment is never obtainable.

So, therefore, 'enlightenment' doesn't actually exist, at least by that path.

edit on 12/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: Seed76

I originally didn't see the command 'love one another' as being exclusive. But now realise that Christians see Jesus as GOD. Thus my original concept that Jesus was practising Bodhicitta is wrong because Bodhicitta is selfless love. And as you and others have pointed out, Jesus demands love as a GOD. So he was practising something else entirely. I now realise that Christianity is more about idolisation than being a path. For only fools would try to walk in the footsteps of a God. Its not for me. So I will leave you all in peace from now on.

Why would walking in the footsteps of God be foolishness, when that God was incarnate and we can walk in the footsteps of God, when God was man.

The other thing is that if there is a God and God created us, surely there was a reason and purpose? Do you think we were created to ignore God and go our own way?

Surely God's ultimate goal would be to lift us up to experience and communicate with Him? So, as one becomes closer to that ideal, one realizes there is a duty in love that we must strive to attain that which God has created us for.

And the path is to take the example that God provided by becoming human.

We MUST become more Christ like to fulfill our purpose and in the process we become closer to God, enlightened about our part in His Kingdom and recipients of heaven.

What is foolish about that?

edit on 12/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:43 AM
link   

There is no person!

The separate self is an illusion...............there is no separation.
It is the realisation of no person which is named 'enlightenment'.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: Itisnowagain

"Nirvana is the snuffing out of the personal self, the individual must die!"

No, it's required for survival in this world so is not an enemy. Its more about empowering the observing “I” over the unbridled “me”.

Right here and right now observing is happening.........within that seeing...... is this appearance. That's IT....nothing other...it is complete.
What is considered to be 'you' as a separate thing is just a particular of the entire appearance.

Listen very closely to the 2 minute video.

The separate self will not die............it is just found to be non existent. Nothing will die............no thing was ever born!
edit on 12-8-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 05:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

There is no person!

The separate self is an illusion...............there is no separation.
It is the realisation of no person which is named 'enlightenment'.

So no one is enlightened because an experience, such as enlightenment, is experienced by an experiencer.

No experiencer = no enlightenment.

Even for hive minds, there are still individual experiencers, but the absence of even a single individuality cannot experience anything.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Even for hive minds, there are still individual experiencers, but the absence of even a single individuality cannot experience anything.

Thanks for quoting all the vids..............I would bet you never bothered watching them!
There isn't any thing...................the first imagined thing was the separate self..............when this is found not to be then there is no thing.......just this that IS.
One without a second..

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Because a God will know each step he makes will be successful before he takes that step. A God will know the best possible outcomes from all of life's paradoxes.

If Gospel of John was written by an over zealous christian in the 2nd
century then could not Jesus be a normal guy that attained spiritualism by fighting his demons. Isn't that a far greater message than a GOD walking earth sacrificed by mortals. Its certainly more believable.
edit on 12-8-2018 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

I believe Buddah is a prophet who followed the Light/Holy Spirit/Jesus Christ. Jesus did not need to follow Buddhism because he created it through his vessel Buddha.

In his dealings with his followers and with the public in general, Jesus manifested love and compassion. (Mark 6:30-34) While preaching the message of God’s Kingdom, he also personally practiced love and humility. Thus, in the final hours of his life, he could say to his disciples: “I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:34, 35) Therefore, the essence of Christianity in practice is self-sacrificing love based on principle. (Matthew 22:37-40) In practice this means that a Christian should love even his enemies, although he may hate their evil works. (Luke 6:27-31) Think about that for a moment. What a different world this would be if everyone actually practiced that form of love!​—Romans 12:17-21; 13:8-10.

13. In what way was Jesus’ teaching different from that of Confucius, Lao-tzu, and the Buddha?

13 Yet, what Jesus taught was far more than an ethic or philosophy, such as those taught by Confucius and Lao-tzu. Furthermore, Jesus did not teach, as did the Buddha, that one can work out one’s own salvation by the pathway of knowledge and enlightenment. Rather, he pointed to God as the source of salvation when he said: “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. For God sent forth his Son into the world, not for him to judge the world, but for the world to be saved through him.”​—John 3:16, 17.

14. Why could Jesus say, “I am the way and the truth and the life”?

14 By manifesting his Father’s love in his own words and deeds, Jesus drew people closer to God. ...

What teachings or actions of Buddha ever drew Buddhists closer to Jehovah God? Or gave him any credit for anything?

Source: Christianity—Was Jesus the Way to God?

Additional information:
Is Buddhism the Way to Enlightenment?

Does Buddhism Satisfy Man’s Spiritual Need?

Man has an inborn need to worship God. That is why he has always had some form of religion. Can Buddhism satisfy man’s spiritual need? Can it answer his questions about how the universe came about, how life came to be upon earth, why wickedness exists and whether it will ever end?

Concerning the origin of the universe, Buddha said: “The origin of phenomenal existence is inconceivable, and the beginnings of beings obstructed by ignorance and ensnared by craving is not to be discovered.” Buddhist writings say that the universe evolved from the dispersed matter of a previous universe that wore out. In time Buddhists expect that the present one will dissolve and that out of it will arise another.

Zen Buddhist expert Daisetz T. Suzuki emphasized:

“To us Orientals . . . there is no God, no creator, no beginning of things, no ‘Word,’ no ‘Logos,’ no ‘nothing.’ Westerners would then exclaim, ‘It is all nonsense! It is absolutely unthinkable!’ Orientals would say, ‘You are right. As long as there is at all a “thinking” you cannot escape getting into the dilemma or the bottomless abyss of absurdity.’” [Italics ours]

How do you feel about that? Do you wish to believe in something that is admittedly “nonsense” if a person uses his thinking ability? In your own experience have you found that thinking leads only to “dilemma or the bottomless abyss of absurdity”? Are you more successful in coping with the problems of life when you refrain from thinking? Is it really enlightenment to say there is no Creator and to believe in an unprovable theory of evolution? Such a philosophy could never satisfy your spiritual needs. In fact, it failed to do so even for followers of Buddha in ancient times.

Professor Albert S. Geden explains:

“The human craving for an ideal or idealized object of love and homage was too strong. . . . The desire was met, and found its satisfaction, in the deification [after his death] of [Buddha] himself; . . . With him were reintroduced the Hindu deities, or the more important and popular of them. But they were always subordinated in attributes and power to the Buddha. And thus a system in theory deistic became a practical polytheism.”

Toward the beginning of the Common Era images of Buddha made their appearance. The simple places of Buddhist devotion were changed into elaborate temples. Some of these temples also contain images of the Hindu gods Vishnu, Siva and Ganesha. Buddha’s refusal to enlighten his followers about God left a vacuum that was filled by his own deification and by adopting gods and practices of other religions.

What about guidance for everyday life? Buddhism does contain some moral precepts. There are, for example, the “five precepts” against killing, stealing, adultery, lying and drunkenness. But moral precepts alone are not sufficient. People need a reliable guide for making everyday decisions. Where do many Buddhists turn for such guidance? Professor L. A. Waddell observes:

“Divination is sought after by the majority of professing Buddhists in matters of almost everyday business, as well as in the great epochs of life​—birth, marriage, and death—​or in sickness. . . . The Burmese, who may be taken as a type of the [conservative] ‘Southern’ division of Buddhists, are lettered in the bonds of horoscopes and witch-doctors.”

Buddhists, like everyone else, have a need for spiritual guidance on matters. Because Buddha’s philosophy does not fill that need, they resort to divination.

Divination: Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 1

Divination embraces generally the whole scope of gaining secret knowledge, especially about future events, through the aid of spiritistic occult powers. (See SPIRITISM.)...
Origin. The birthplace of divination was Babylonia, the land of the Chaldeans, and from there these occult practices spread around the earth with the migration of mankind. (Ge 11:8, 9) ...
Condemned by Bible. All the various forms of divination, regardless of the name by which they are called, stand in sharp contrast with, and open defiance of, the Holy Bible. Jehovah through Moses sternly and repeatedly warned Israel not to take up these divination practices of the other nations, saying: “There should not be found in you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah, and on account of these detestable things Jehovah your God is driving them away from before you.” (De 18:9-12; Le 19:26, 31) ...

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic

Professor L. A. Waddell observes:

“Divination is sought after by the majority of professing Buddhists in matters of almost everyday business, as well as in the great epochs of life​—birth, marriage, and death—​or in sickness. . . . The Burmese, who may be taken as a type of the [conservative] ‘Southern’ division of Buddhists, are lettered in the bonds of horoscopes and witch-doctors.”

Buddhists, like everyone else, have a need for spiritual guidance on matters. Because Buddha’s philosophy does not fill that need, they resort to divination.

Just remember that Burma (the Burmese) is now called Myanmar. The fruits of practices such as divination and the other things described in my previous comment are obvious in Myanmar (Burma):

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join