It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus practice Bodhicitta

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 05:55 PM
link   
For reference - on the translation from the greek - love

In the Greek New Testament, there are three different words used which can be translated by the English word “love”:

agape (grc: ἀγάπη; love, charity) and words derived from it

philia (grc: φιλία; friendship, love) and words derived from it

storge (grc: στοργή; natural affection), only as astorgos (grc: ἄστοργος; lacking natural affection)

in Ro.1:31 and 2Tim.3:3. The translations given in parentheses are those one would find most often as explanations of the difference between these words.

It should not be taken for granted that these renderings are indeed correct in all contexts. A fourth Greek word for “love”, eros (grc: ἔρως; attraction, sexual love) is not found in the Greek NT, neither the word itself nor as root of another word.

hhr-m.userweb.mwn.de...

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: EasternShadow

originally posted by: glend
EasternShadow, I totally agree, But in knowing the spirit within is good, is it possible to still love the person under the control of the bad wolf.Whilst knowing, they'd chop off our heads if given half a chance. Has love for all of humanity got preconditions?

So is Johns command below, impossible to follow. These questions, I don't know the answer too.

John 13.34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

It can be impossible, yes. But, It is Jesus command, therefore it is not a request. It must be done, for only those who keep Jesus command will reach the Father through Jesus.

Just understand this, you are given equally the right to live under god's grace and therefore you can defend yourself or anyone else.

Leave karma to God/Buddha.

And herein is the rub - I do not believe that Jesus taught this, nor implied this.

He also said "In my father's house their are many rooms". If he was speaking of 'his father' rhetorically or metaphorically, then this would apply to people of all belief systems.

Religions suffer to one degree from this type of (partisan) and limited viewpoint.

I recommend "The Sermon of the Mount" by Emmett Fox for a broader perspective on Jessus' teachings.

As to Karma and reincarnation - it was only in 200 CE that those 'doctrines' were removed from christian dogma. There are clear references in the Bible to both in what survives to this day.
edit on 10-8-2018 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

You are correct. That is not what I believe. I won't try to argue however because it is one of the less offensive statements I have seen you post so far.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Well I guess as a father, loving my children, no matter what
It's a glimpse of Gods love

I am His child, that's an amazing feeling knowing my love for my children and I am a broken human/father
My child killed someone, I wouldn't stop loving them

Anthropomorphic God. God - in our image.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Its why I try to use the term unselfish love as much as I can. The dualism of selfish love and hatred is based on egoism yes but we can use the feeling of 'unselfish love' for lack of better word to increase our empathy for each others plight. To help others even if it causes us pain and suffering. That is what Bodhicitta encapsulates. Sacrificing ourselves for others.

I always feel strange when attending funerals. Because I feel that people aren't really displaying love to the departed. It seems they just drowning themselves in an ego of self pity. Perhaps its me, that's strange.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Jesus was God incarnate, so He existed well before Buddha.

Therefore wouldn't it be more apt to ask if Buddha was following Christian practice?

Firstly, If Jesus was GOD incarnate shouldn't Moses have written the New Testament?

Secondly, I was not inferring that Jesus was practising Buddhism. I was inferring that Jesus was teaching a practice that I recognise as Bodhicitta.

Jesus existed prior to His incarnation.

There is scripture that explains that Jesus was primary in the Creation.

The incarnation of Jesus (i.e: Him living in the world as a human) started approximately 1,200 years (according to Rabbinic calculation) after Moses died, but Jesus was God and existed before all of His Creation.

Bodhicitta just seems like a particular redefinition of ideation of being nice to others. It lacks the actual authenticity of action or sacrifice to do so.

Also, since you mentioned it, doesn't the act of a Buddhist "praying" seem a bit contradictory and futile if there is no supreme and personal God to pray to and there is no petition to present for anything? Shouldn't they instead just meditate to "let go" of everything?

edit on 10/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

As to Karma and reincarnation - it was only in 200 CE that those 'doctrines' were removed from christian dogma. There are clear references in the Bible to both in what survives to this day.

No. Resurrection is not reincarnation.

What is the difference between resurrection and reincarnation?...

carm.org...

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Well it's possible outside the fact we where created in His image and that makes us like Him not vice versa
God is love, He has revealed His love as a parent to best help us understand His nature, like the love a father ( should have) has for his children, think the prodigal
Anthromorphic is imagining my characteristics on God, I am in His image, He is not in mine, I recieve my characteristics from Him

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Its obvious what John 14:6 mean's to you. Yet Jesus is screaming to you that you cannot just believe in his words. You must live and breath Jesus as a path to enter heaven.

So if we read his words with egoism in our hearts. Of cause we will feel superior whilst beating our tribal drums. We are better them. We know, they don't. I am superior, they aren't. But that is not Jesus path.

I think that's your ego/insecurity speaking instead of Tom's. Tom never said he was superior to you. As a true follower of Jesus Christ, all he did was point out the errors you have made in interpreting Christian doctrine. Based on the scripture I posted earlier in 2 Timothy 4, that's what we're supposed to do.

His path is unselfish love for all.

His path is to accept Him as Lord and Savior and following what he said throughout the entire scriptures, not just one of them.

So no. the Father does not turn his back on people that have no access to Christian teachings.

That's only true for people who had no access to the scriptures. They will be judged by their righteousness, and only God knows the true definition of what that means outside of scripture. In the meanwhile, the Bible has made it clear how Jesus will judge the Pharisees who were given the authority to interpret and teach scripture, but abused it for their own personal satisfaction and beliefs that were outside of what was written.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   

But in knowing the spirit within is good, is it possible to still love the person under the control of the bad wolf.Whilst knowing, they'd chop off our heads if given half a chance. Has love for all of humanity got preconditions?

So is Johns command below, impossible to follow. These questions, I don't know the answer too.

John 13.34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

I think the "answer" is to remember that you do not have to 'feel' love in order to choose it...

Love does not have to be a feeling, it can also be a 'verb' - Acts of kindness are 'love in action'...

To choose offering forgiveness rather than seeking revenge is to 'give' love in return for hatefulness...

And certainly - the choice of understanding that 'bad wolves' are still human beings, that even if they must be 'stopped', it can be done with mercy;

and as well - the sincere desire for understanding as to 'how' to love (un'preconditionally') "all of humanity" -

- are both the result of the turn of mind or 'thinking' which I would categorize as 'loving'...

edit on 10-8-2018 by lostgirl because: trying to get the quotes right

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
And herein is the rub - I do not believe that Jesus taught this, nor implied this.

I don't expect Paulian to believe any of Jesus's sayings with regards to work.

John 15-17
17 This is my command: Love each other.

John 14-15
15 “If you love me, keep my commands. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—

John 15-14
14 You are my friends if you do what I command.

11 Bible verses of Keeping Jesus Commands

What happen if you don't follow Jesus's commands?

John:15-5
5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

John 14-6
6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

He also said "In my father's house their are many rooms". If he was speaking of 'his father' rhetorically or metaphorically, then this would apply to people of all belief systems.

I'm not certain why do you brought this up. John 14:1-4 was Jesus responding to the troubled disciples for they know Jesus will be leaving them soon and they cannot follows, hence the context was titled, Jesus Comforts His Disciples. Even if you takes this as rhetorically or metaphorically, in what condition can the verse best suited us? We are not the trouble disciples who are about to be left by Jesus.

Religions suffer to one degree from this type of (partisan) and limited viewpoint.

From reading and studying limited theology without comparing with others related subjects/doctrines/principles from other religions?

Yes, classic church priests, temple priest, mosque's ustaz, tribal shaman etc.. Suffer limited viewpoint. Surely with the availability of internet, we are not going to inherit this "suffering", are we?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deetermined

No. Resurrection is not reincarnation.

What is the difference between resurrection and reincarnation?...

carm.org...

Well said.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

The goal of a Christian is to attain heaven. The goal of a Bodhisattva is to help all others attain heaven before the Bodhisattva. So it removes selfishness (egoism) from the equation in achieving enlightenment. Living for the ALL instead of ones own self interest. And yes that may include walking old ladies across the street.

Meditation is quietening the noise of the brain so we can realise our true spiritual nature. Praying is really doing the same thing. Talking to garden within, instead of the mind (Luke 17:21).

Hinduism believe in the one GOD, Brahman. But Buddhism recognises that any mental image of a supreme creator is futile. aka ... Once the brain labels a bird as a bird, you will never see the true bird again, only its label. The brain does this for expediency. So Buddhism focuses on the pitfalls of egoism (snake) rather than spirituality.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I was responding to glend from the viewpoint of Buddhism theology, since Karma in Buddhism is the closest thing to Christian's Justice.

In Karma, justice is served in the next cycle of life, something that is not taught in Christianity. Because Christian believe either in Judaism's Sheol or Eternal damnation in hell.

edit on 10-8-2018 by EasternShadow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: EasternShadow

Hey, you're starting to sound like a Christian, what happened? Just kidding.

I don't expect Paulian to believe any of Jesus's sayings with regards to work.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one, but you would need to do some research on Paul's definition of "works", which usually meant following the Mosaic laws. Jesus came to fulfill those laws so that they wouldn't be used anymore to determine someone's righteousness and standing with God. Long story short, Paul did indeed believe that good works were something that God expected us to do, even if it wasn't the end all requirement for salvation any longer.

Titus 3:14
And let our people learn to devote themselves to good works, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not be unfruitful.

Titus 3:8
The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works. These things are excellent and profitable for people.

Titus 2:7
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity,

Hebrews 10:24
And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,

Colossians 1:10
So as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Meditation is quietening the noise of the brain so we can realise our true spiritual nature. Praying is really doing the same thing. Talking to garden within, instead of the mind (Luke 17:21).

Luke 17:21 doesn't have anything to do with "a garden within, instead of the mind".

It has to do with the Holy Spirit living inside of us, but only until the physical return of Jesus as stated in the context of those scriptures...

Luke 21:25

21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

22 And he said unto the disciples, The days will come, when ye shall desire to see one of the days of the Son of man, and ye shall not see it.

23 And they shall say to you, See here; or, see there: go not after them, nor follow them.

24 For as the lightning, that lighteneth out of the one part under heaven, shineth unto the other part under heaven; so shall also the Son of man be in his day.

25 But first must he suffer many things, and be rejected of this generation.

Luke 17:29-30

29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.

30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Thnak you lostgirl. I can comprehend that. I have copied it to my desktop so I can turn to your comment when I feel confused.

Love ya

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

Thanks Determine, I will reflect on your words. Perhaps I have been reading more into Christianity than I thought it contained.

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

The goal of a Christian is to attain heaven. The goal of a Bodhisattva is to help all others attain heaven before the Bodhisattva. So it removes selfishness (egoism) from the equation in achieving enlightenment. Living for the ALL instead of ones own self interest. And yes that may include walking old ladies across the street.

Hinduism believe in the one GOD, Brahman. But Buddhism recognises that any mental image of a supreme creator is futile. aka ... Once the brain labels a bird as a bird, you will never see the true bird again, only its label. The brain does this for expediency. So Buddhism focuses on the pitfalls of egoism (snake) rather than spirituality.

I thought Nirvana ('blowing out' or 'quenching') is the goal of Buddhism - nonexistence or nihilism, not heaven.

The goal of all Christians is to become like Jesus Christ. He was an example of how we are to be motivated and live our lives. Heaven, the Kingdom of God, is a consequence of that.

edit on 11/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Nirvana ('blowing out' or 'quenching') is the goal of Buddhism. Nonexistence or nihilism, not heaven.

Nirvana is goal of Theravada school, Buddhahood goal of Mahayana tradition. One of the heavenly realms is called Tu#a. Buddhism believe in six realms as does Jewish Kabbalah.

Interesting in ats cannot write the word T u s h i t a in comment or links. lol because of its manure content.

edit on 11-8-2018 by glend because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join