It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Jesus practice Bodhicitta

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
In Christianity Jesus taught his followers to love one another.

But how can one really love a rapist or serial killer.

We all have two selves, a spiritual self which some call the good wolf, and a ego-brain self which some people call the bad wolf (or snake in genesis). These wolves battle each other throughout our life. The wolf that wins is the wolf we feed.

The good wolf is the little voice within, that nags us, when we do something wrong.
The bad wolf is our ego-brain that is controlled by DNA to procreate. Manipulated by cultural beliefs to chase materilistic gains etc. Is selfish and conceited.

So when we look at rapists or serial killers. We need understand that they too have a good wolf inside them. That has been silenced by the bad wolf that has full control over their behaviour. So instead of seeing a person as bad, we should recognise that the person has lost their battle to an ego-brain that is out of control and sympathise with their plight.

Bodhicitta:

Bodhicitta is a path to enlightenment.
But wanting enlightenment for yourself is a selfish desire. So how does one achieve enlightenment without the negativity of the ego-brain blocking our path.

Bodhicitta is a practice in Buddhism in which we practice great compassion for all sentient beings and their struggles in life. The goal of the practice is to achieve enlightenment from a non-selfish desire to help all others attain liberation from their birth and death cycles (reincarnation).

The practice :

Pray and meditate in achieving the four immeasurable's :

1. Immeasurable Loving-Kindness,
2. Immeasurable Compassion,
3. Immeasurable Joy in the Good Fortune of Others,
4. Immeasurable Equanimity.

Put your prayers into action:

When people need help. Put yourself in their shoes. Ask yourself what I would want if I were in their position.

Love everyone as Jesus loved everyone.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   
You started out with a very good and sensible question and I'll answer it to my many years here on Earth.
About a rapist, my answer is a big "NO".
To a serial killer, my answer is a big "NO".

The Temple which one religion regards as holy and very sacred won't allow anyone in that doesn't abide by their rules, customs and their beliefs.

My Temple is Mother Earth, it was created both for good and evil (what we call or see as evil), for all living things or bodies. You see , I can walk outdoors and worship my Creator and his wife which we call Angles. Yes, God has a wife and their children are called Heaven's Angles and we are their Earthly Angeles. But for those that I said "NO", God can deny them the Earthly Temple that been created by whom I just mention. Man steps in to deny the above through imprisonment, with or without sunlight. At that point the convicted's will is up to again, your question, do we follow what is in the Old Testament or New Testament.
I'm an Old Testament guy with sensible compassion. My sister was murdered. Lock "it" up and throw away the key. Done with. But the real world which we live in change direction just like the wind. You can't catch the wind and you can't have your wife half pregnant.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

Turning someone over to the authorities is a form of love, disciplene is a form of love
There are different types of love, not all of them are concililatory

Jesus was extremely critical of the religios
The main reason was because Jesus made direct relationship between us and God personal, we need no a mediator of human origin outside of Jesus Himself

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

How do you see yourself as any kind of expert on Christianity? You are not yourself Christian and I don't believe you comprehend the faith. All of your reading is from an outsider point of view. You can not gain more than an academic perspective unless you experience it.

Christianity is a faith unto itself, not an extension of Judaism, Buddhism, or anything else. It requires a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Without that, you are lost.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
In Christianity Jesus taught his followers to love one another.

But how can one really love a rapist or serial killer.

We all have two selves, a spiritual self which some call the good wolf, and a ego-brain self which some people call the bad wolf (or snake in genesis). These wolves battle each other throughout our life. The wolf that wins is the wolf we feed.

The good wolf is the little voice within, that nags us, when we do something wrong.
The bad wolf is our ego-brain that is controlled by DNA to procreate. Manipulated by cultural beliefs to chase materilistic gains etc. Is selfish and conceited.

So when we look at rapists or serial killers. We need understand that they too have a good wolf inside them. That has been silenced by the bad wolf that has full control over their behaviour. So instead of seeing a person as bad, we should recognise that the person has lost their battle to an ego-brain that is out of control and sympathise with their plight.

Bodhicitta:

Bodhicitta is a path to enlightenment.
But wanting enlightenment for yourself is a selfish desire. So how does one achieve enlightenment without the negativity of the ego-brain blocking our path.

Bodhicitta is a practice in Buddhism in which we practice great compassion for all sentient beings and their struggles in life. The goal of the practice is to achieve enlightenment from a non-selfish desire to help all others attain liberation from their birth and death cycles (reincarnation).

The practice :

Pray and meditate in achieving the four immeasurable's :

1. Immeasurable Loving-Kindness,
2. Immeasurable Compassion,
3. Immeasurable Joy in the Good Fortune of Others,
4. Immeasurable Equanimity.

Put your prayers into action:

When people need help. Put yourself in their shoes. Ask yourself what I would want if I were in their position.

Love everyone as Jesus loved everyone.

I think He was beyond that. We each have a Ying and Yang, good and bad self, positive and negative. I think each human has a natural, similar yet not identical being... and we all should strive for balance and the higher-self, or to reach total Nirvana... (which I think most will never do nor can).

I think Jesus knew this and forgave Barabas the criminal on the cross for that reason: he was a soul who was out of balance with life and love, and took a wrong turn. But, still... forgave him for his crimes and transgressions... for he was a human being gone astray.. yet still... a soul.

I try in medical and responsive daily care to help or guide each person each day... even a little, some times noticed and sometime ineffective at that moment... but the point was to not judge, to help, to aid, to guide, to listen... and to just be there for one who needed me to be... and even to those who didn't care I was.

I learned much in the1970's with Zen and it's Buddhist philosophy. I think Jesus was a master in all... and spent his missing years traveling the then-known world learning all he could... and therein is the lesson for us all. That a soul is a soul... no matter it's balance of good and bad... Do not judge but forgive, and rise to a higher level of Karma... for them... and ourselves.

Peace, love and light to you... Always.... M. S.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I think it is much deeper than that. Buddha said that his knowledge came from the light. We are all part of the light. Jesus claimed to be the light.

I believe Jesus came to Buddha in spirit, guided Buddah down the path of enlightenment and inspired Buddha to teach the path to enlightenment so he could lead others.

I believe Buddah is a prophet who followed the Light/Holy Spirit/Jesus Christ. Jesus did not need to follow Buddhism because he created it through his vessel Buddha.

Some believe Jesus is a reincarnation of Buddha but I disagree as I believe Jesus is the Light that inspired Buddah.

Also I believe the cycle of birth and death are real things that happen in one lifetime. We die to sin and repent into rebirth many times in one life. Those who seek and find enlightenment overcome sin and the cycle of death and birth that follows sin. I don't believe Buddah taught reincarnation in the way people believe today.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I agree that those that cannot abide by society rules shouldn't be permitted freedom in society. And I understand that GOD will not let them in heaven.

I am sorry for your loss.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

I kinda see where you are coming from and like it a lot, Jesus is the light and taught love and that loving others was self sacrificial, a light for others to follow

Just wondering where you got the idea from?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Turning someone over to the authorities is a form of love, disciplene is a form of love
There are different types of love, not all of them are concililatory

Jesus was extremely critical of the religios
The main reason was because Jesus made direct relationship between us and God personal, we need no a mediator of human origin outside of Jesus Himself

I am not talking about forgiveness nor if criminals that cannot abide by society be allowed to live in society. I am just talking about love.

John 13.34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

How can you follow this command if you don't admire or like the person? Is it something you have achieved?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 03:04 AM
link   
a reply to: toms54

I don't remember claiming I was an expert on Christianity. Nor have I read anywhere that someone must be ordained an expert to have an opinion. FYI I was baptised under church of england but see so many similarities in religions that I don't belong to any one club.

Don't tell people they are lost. You are not God my friend. That is Gods decision.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

That was beautiful.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

I kinda see where you are coming from and like it a lot, Jesus is the light and taught love and that loving others was self sacrificial, a light for others to follow

Just wondering where you got the idea from?

An inspiration from reading all the major and some of the lessor religious texts. From Egypt, to Zoaster, to Hinduism, Buddah, Moses, Plato, Jesus and Mohammed they all have a central theme. All but Plato make direct refrence to the Light or Holy Spirit within. Plato simply says that the moral nature of man and Virtue are the godly part of mankind.

The Quran is a history book of wars, similar to the OT but the central theme seperate from the historical aspect of each is to love one another. As violent as the OT and Quran can be they both say that it is best to live at peace and love your neighbors as brothers regardless of their acceptance of your religion.

The other theme in all of the texts is the coming of a Messiah or savior. Even Plato talks about a lion coming to save man but that salvation wouldn't come until further down the road. I believe the allegory of the cave is an illusion to Christ coming to pull mankind out of the pit and into the light.

Christians get too caught up in the name Jesus. They discard all other religions because the name Jesus doesn't appear in the texts. But the name Jesus wasn't given to Christ until he was born, but the OT makes reference to the Light/Holy Spirit.

The other similarity. None of the authors of the previous texts claimed to be anything but inspired by the divine presence. Except Jesus. Jesus made the very bold claim that he was the light, the son of God, the one whom all things were made by for and through.

Because I can find no fault in Christ's teachings and historically there is more non-biblical references to Christ than any other human until the last 100 years I believe his claim.

I believe Christ is the Holy Spirit, the light and all the prophets from all the religions I mentioned and some of the lessor religions were connected to the light.

There have been many from history, Ghandi being the most recent that made the same claim about the underlying theme found in all the religions. When I read the texts I see the similarities and find no contradictions, just different sets of rituals intended to connect the followers with the light of God's Grace.

There is one other reason I believe in the supernatural claims of Jesus Christ. Not so much because they are written in the NT, but because how well documented the torture his followers endured in the years after his death. Unless they experienced something supernatural I find it hard to believe they would continuously preach a message that would most likely lead to a gruesome death.

My belief is part logic, but mostly based in faith that Grace and Love are the true characteristics of God. Jesus was the first one to plainly spell out Grace. It's likely we wouldn't believe in Grace if not for Jesus Christ.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   

I believe Buddah is a prophet who followed the Light/Holy Spirit/Jesus Christ. Jesus did not need to follow Buddhism because he created it through his vessel Buddha.

The spiritual is said to be timeless so that is a possibility.

I don't believe Buddah taught reincarnation in the way people believe today. Also I believe the cycle of birth and death are real things that happen in one lifetime.

Buddhist schools have different concepts. Most believe in a rebirth and some schools would agree with your interpretation.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Jesus was God incarnate, so He existed well before Buddha.

Therefore wouldn't it be more apt to ask if Buddha was following Christian practice?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 04:45 AM
link   

a reply to: toms54

I don't remember claiming I was an expert on Christianity. Nor have I read anywhere that someone must be ordained an expert to have an opinion. FYI I was baptised under church of england but see so many similarities in religions that I don't belong to any one club.

Don't tell people they are lost. You are not God my friend. That is Gods decision.

You should have your own forum for bashing Christians. You have been posting an anti christian thread almost every week. Call the forum Undermining Christianity.

You claim to be baptized but no Christian would post the way you do.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   

There is one other reason I believe in the supernatural claims of Jesus Christ. Not so much because they are written in the NT, but because how well documented the torture his followers endured in the years after his death. Unless they experienced something supernatural I find it hard to believe they would continuously preach a message that would most likely lead to a gruesome death.

My belief is part logic, but mostly based in faith that Grace and Love are the true characteristics of God. Jesus was the first one to plainly spell out Grace. It's likely we wouldn't believe in Grace if not for Jesus Christ.

People go to war and die because of beliefs and there is nothing supernatural in that. So we must accept that our brains are fallible to misinformation. In which people like Hitler were masters in manipulating. Which of cause can occur in religions as well.

What I think is more important is quieting our brain with prayer and meditation so we can hear the subtle message of our inner guide. If our inner guide tells us to follow Jesus then full steam ahead.

Clementine Homilies written by church father Clement I, a disciple of the Apostle Peter. might be a key for deeper understanding of Christianity.

Best Wishes.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   

The spiritual is said to be timeless so that is a possibility.

Are you 'in time'? Or are you always now?
Have you seen or heard time?
No............you are only ever aware of what is appearing now. Thoughts appear now that speak of time.............and you are aware of those thoughts.

Do you ever travel though time or does the concept of time arise in you?

You are ever present and everything that appears can only appear presently.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 05:11 AM
link   

It's one thing to go to war and die, it's another thing to be tortured to death knowing that you can end it by denying one thing. No one ever denied Jesus. Even the one guy that did....died for Him. Don't undermine those sacrifices.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

"A person who has never loved himself - how can he love the neighbour?"
edit on 10-8-2018 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

Jesus was God incarnate, so He existed well before Buddha.

Therefore wouldn't it be more apt to ask if Buddha was following Christian practice?

Firstly, If Jesus was GOD incarnate shouldn't Moses have written the New Testament?

Secondly, I was not inferring that Jesus was practising Buddhism. I was inferring that Jesus was teaching a practice that I recognise as Bodhicitta.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join