It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so is religion bad like i think it is?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Belief in an imaginary being is a ridiculous reason for man to have ethical behavior.

Philosophy does not require a source outside of man's own thoughts.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
a reply to: ClovenSky

It isn’t your life nor your place to dictate what someone else can believe in or not. I don’t think anyone should be a Progressive, but I don’t have the right to tell others what to believe and neither do you,

I hear you 100%. I have no intention of dictating to others how they live their life. I have no intention of interfering with anyone's free will. I am simply proposing the question for discussion sake.

From seeing the damage first hand, I am simply trying to understand. My sister joined a cult at the age of 20 and severed contact with family for 18 years. Only when the cult leader died and the son/grandson couldn't keep up the ruse, did she start asking questions. She is slowly reaching out again but is much different compared to how she was before and she is still deeply religious.

Just trying to make sense of things.

Thank you for the reply.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Religion....ha We spit on it.......we're Christians, we say hail no to it.....we have a relationship and talk back and forth to make it these days

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Belief in god is such an outdated concept i just dont understand how people still believe such things with all our knowledge we have now.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Belief in god is such an outdated concept i just dont understand how people still believe such things with all our knowledge we have now.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Joecanada11

Me either.

And the euphoria you get from sharing connective energy -- same as the feeling you get at a sports event.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Or participating in threads on this board, you call feel the spiritual connection through good honest discussions. But no one wants to talk about it, like it is heresy to discuss this outside of religion.

What we could be today if we were simply honest and willing to discuss the other half of our nature opposite the material.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChristianParr

You honestly think lack of religion causes a breakdown of society???? SERIOUSLY?? come on you aren't that silly surely. That humanity is incapable of guiding their own moral compass without that ridiculous book? Even Dogs have a moral compass!

Incidentally, have a look at gang land crime scene photos to see how many drug runners, violent gang members, cartels etc were religious! GOD even look at the #ing mafia!!!

Religion doesn't stop violence, it adds to it! History is your teacher sunshine!

When man makes Religion political, hell man can make any political. Speaking of History what are the worst human acts on a large scale?

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: ChristianParr

You honestly think lack of religion causes a breakdown of society???? SERIOUSLY?? come on you aren't that silly surely. That humanity is incapable of guiding their own moral compass without that ridiculous book? Even Dogs have a moral compass!

Incidentally, have a look at gang land crime scene photos to see how many drug runners, violent gang members, cartels etc were religious! GOD even look at the #ing mafia!!!

Religion doesn't stop violence, it adds to it! History is your teacher sunshine!

Speaking of History what are the worst human acts on a large scale?

I'm sure you can't wait to tell us.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I would nominate the bolshevik revolution as one of the most bloody religious takeovers in recorded history.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Religion is a system of control.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Belief in an imaginary being is a ridiculous reason for man to have ethical behavior.

Philosophy does not require a source outside of man's own thoughts.

Isn't Philosophy and ethics imaginary too. lol

Human's spend most of their time in the abstract world, we live here. It is what makes us humans, you can't make breakfast without first creating it in an abstract thought first. Everything around you was an abstract thought first too. With all that you say religion is ridiculous...lol

Religion is as much a part of humans as anything else we spend so much of our abstract thoughts on. You can not take religion out of humans just as I can not stop you from making your breakfast in your head first.

Call it a by product of our thought process, but religion is human in every way...

edit on 9-8-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

You are the only one here that I can agree with. Religion is a force for good. When politics is applied it looks distorted.

If a Christian nation wars with an Islamic nation is religion the cause? The two culture groups going to war probably has nothing to do with religion. It is just a culture differentiator that defines us vs. them, like race or language.

I think societies do tend to practice religions that reflect their nature, not the other way around. A warlike people will adhere to a warlike religion. If that religion didn't exist, they would go with another warlike religion.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Religion gives power away.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

I would nominate the bolshevik revolution as one of the most bloody religious takeovers in recorded history.

Bingo! And they outlawed religion... I would put the Chinese above them, but both are hard to tell. The killing fields was horrendous as they taught school children to torture people to death in their own schools.

Religions come with some kind of moral compass that society can drift off it, but being a solid moral foundation society can drift back. Cases like Bolshevik revolution and the Killing Fields they drift off and keep drifting to crazy levels with no real moral foundation to help them correct back.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

I only poke fun at ridiculousness..

I no emotion all logic.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Politics gives power away, call it what you will as the motivator, but once religion is used as a political motivator it is no longer religion...

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

All I can say to this is when you are standing there in the funeral home, looking at your mother in a box, it helps to believe in something.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

Politics gives power away, call it what you will as the motivator, but once religion is used as a political motivator it is no longer religion...

Actually religion steals mans power.

Politics can be and should be about laws based on logic and need.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Perceived power in the first place?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join