It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so is religion bad like i think it is?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yeah, I was also answering the OP - is religion inherently bad or just the assholes practicing it?

We can of course also bring up abortion rights and the Catholic stance on it, or how these institutions cover the pedophila actions of the priests.

But back on track, do you honestly believe Islam alone attacked America and not also some elements within the US who stood to gain by these invasions of the Middle East.

Having said that I have made a thread about how Islam gets a free pass in the West though multi culturism, it is after all the religion of conquest, and the religion thats not to be criticized.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: cosmickat

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
IMO, anything you believe strongly is (basically) a religion. It doesn't have to be organized religion. Therefore, it isn't necessarily "bad" UNLESS you attempt to force everyone else to be you.

Or
Unless your strong beliefs lead you into...
Heaven's Gate
Branch Davidian
Jonestown
Aum Shinrikyo

Those beliefs can be really bad

That's what I said.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i think we would be better off as a people of religion never was. that is for another thread but i wanted to make my opinion known.

I think you kind of nailed it already...humans are not nice animals with or without.

but we can see that christians commit act of terror and muslims commit acts of terror.

we can all agree on this yes?

is it religions fault? i think to a degree. of course right. if the religion wasnt there you cant kill for it... fact

What do we call 85 people shot over the weekend in Chicago?

Sometimes we need to look at what happens when religion is not present. We seem to always just look at religious events such as some terrorist act based on religion ideals.

What if religion is the one thing holding humans back from going full retard? To me full retard is Killing fields in Cambodia where more people were killed in a few years than 500 years of the Christian Crusades. WWII in general, Stalin's mass killings of 50 to 80 million people. China's 100 to 200 million during their communist industrial revolution. Darfur today, so on and so on...

We both think humans are bad, but we can be bad or we can be full retard... As bad as religion has seemed over the years the morals of religion seemed to always be better than what else was available for the times. Humans are bad not going to stop that, but we need to not go Full Retard.

It is funny how Communism either outlawed religion or fought it head to head and human's worst atrocities are based around Communism...lol go figure.

edit on 9-8-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yeah, I was also answering the OP - is religion inherently bad or just the assholes practicing it?

We can of course also bring up abortion rights and the Catholic stance on it

Yes, by all means bring up the group opposed to the killing of unborn babies as an example of terrorism

But back on track, do you honestly believe Islam alone attacked America

Absolutely, I do.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

sean penn. i am sam.
looked retarded. acted retarded.

not retarded

great scene

interesting thought on religion being the thing that prevents a lot of people from doing #

i will have to think on that for a while

then we can get into the reason..

is it because they want to live an honorable, honest life like the man with the sandals

or are they piss scared of the red guy?

does it matter?

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

But what if? What if memorizing and regurgitating that information causes people to act, strive, think, accept, discriminate differently simply for accepting the words of that book? What if they turn to a high power to save them, just like dreaming of a hero, instead of making the decisions and actions on their own. Then when they work through problem by self reflecting and challenging their beliefs, they become stronger people who are better able to help themselves and others they share this reality with?

But instead of taking action and improving themselves through themselves, they look for someone else to solve their issues and become a perpetual victim?

What if it is just as harmful as the memorization and regurgitation of the students going through current our day care facilities and extended day care facilities, the universities. Has that type of brainwashing been neutral or is it warping the minds of future generations? Should we just leave them alone and hope they become mature functioning adults at some point in the future? Is the cognitive dissonance good for a human to work through? What happens if they never even open their mind to ask what if? I find the simple vision of 'belief' collapses the human mind faster than anything else and shuts out all alt theories.

I kind of hope you are right that there is no harm done. But....

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

What if religion is the one thing holding humans back from going full retard? To me full retard is Killing fields in Cambodia where more people were killed in a few years than 500 years of the Christian Crusades. WWII in general, Stalin's mass killings of 50 to 80 million people. China's 100 to 200 million during their communist industrial revolution. Darfur today, so on and so on... We both think humans are bad, but we can be bad or we can be full retard... As bad as religion has seemed over the years the morals of religion seemed to always be better than what else was available for the times. Humans are bad not going to stop that, but we need to not go Full Retard.

I agree with these sentiments.

Religion has also stopped many killings, and I think major wars have possibly been averted due to prayer.

Humans may be bad to a degree, but not all are as bad as a few... and though some religions preach violence against non believers, the majority of major religions believe in peace.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

and we come full circle to blaming the people

people are what screw it up

get 50 believers together and theyre going to interpret the bible differently. of course we are going to screw it up

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

You honestly think lack of religion causes a breakdown of society???? SERIOUSLY?? come on you aren't that silly surely. That humanity is incapable of guiding their own moral compass without that ridiculous book? Even Dogs have a moral compass!

Incidentally, have a look at gang land crime scene photos to see how many drug runners, violent gang members, cartels etc were religious! GOD even look at the #ing mafia!!!

Religion doesn't stop violence, it adds to it! History is your teacher sunshine!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Radical Islamic Terrorism is different for a few reasons.

There are vastly more prominent radical Islamic extremists preaching radical Islam that any Islamist can look up to.

Radical Islam has vast resources, some of it state-sponsored.

Most terrorist attacks occur in Islamic countries for largely sectarian reasons.

Most terrorist attacks come from Islamic extremists.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Incidentally your loose basis for your argument is the likes of Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot who were DICTATORS, yes they subscribed to an anti religion ideal but that had more to do with them wanting control rather then the church, submit to the state not God, These were all down to 1 man who could talk the talk and use violence as a means of control it had nothing to do with the absence of religion and frankly to suggest so does a tremendous disservice to those murdered by the state.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChristianParr

So cool, if you want to believe that crap.. cool good for you I honestly couldn't give a # but try inflicting that nonsense on me you are likely to have a 400 page book buried in your forehead!

You really ought to relax. As a Christian, I'm happy to tell you that you'd better repent and believe once, them you're on your own. You have to seek to find, this your sorry self. It's not rocket science. That's fine, then, just the way it is, some, or most, won't believe, surprise, surprise, dust those shoes off, you know? I mean, the Lord Jesus is the Judge and Who vengeance belongs to, not me. I don't have the same issue with you Holy God does. Thems just the rules.

There are so many of you blind suckers in this world I wouldn't do that to my blood pressure, or, otherwise, ruin a fine day with God. He is really so cool! It's like you've been constipated for a week there, partner, and this for years. I notice this about all of you, like you're in some cytokine, anal storm, saying the same old things that are somehow supposed to get Christians worked-up, like we've never heard it before and even have your problem, ourselves, in the first place. To be frank? It's been yawn, the past couple decades, the stuff you guys say.

You have my permission not to believe. Now, if it's my head you think you'll bury a book in, it's almost metaphysical certitude that would be your second mistake. I got to admit, I don't know if I'd turn the other book, as opposed to giving you a taste of that book, but I would surely say sorry, afterwards, pick up some of your teeth from the floor, maybe that could get implanted again.

But just relax, as much as that perennially restless conscience will allow. This may be your last chance to relax, if your heart were to stop. It's all downhill from there. Somebody will probably announce to that rich man in hell, of Luke 16, another real loser is coming, that's going to start looking for a Slurpee.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   

christian terror too/

Christians are always trying to terrorize people, and when you say they can't they cry that you're persecuting them and elect psychotic criminals to "avenge" them for having reasonable limits placed on their power.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

christian terror too/

Christians are always trying to terrorize people, and when you say they can't they cry that you're persecuting them and elect psychotic criminals to "avenge" them for having reasonable limits placed on their power.

Boo!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

It isn’t your life nor your place to dictate what someone else can believe in or not. I don’t think anyone should be a Progressive, but I don’t have the right to tell others what to believe and neither do you,

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

then we can get into the reason..

is it because they want to live an honorable, honest life like the man with the sandals

or are they piss scared of the red guy?

does it matter?

Most religions are based on a set of morals and that is where I think it all starts. There can be other non-religious morals such as Kant that are very effective too, but there is not a process in place that forces people into that model as religion has done.

Much of the bad we see from religion we can easily say those actions are not a part of the religion. Something like religion has been used as a Motivator when religion really had little to do with it. Take Christian Crusades it wasn't really about religion, but religion was the motivator. Humans also tend to mold religion into whatever fits their needs, so once again is their act still religious?

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Thank you, I needed that laugh!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Religion owns the mind.

Believers do good for a reward.

Man needs to own his own mind.

Man needs to live in the present and do what needs to be done because it needs to be done.

I was a believer. The above is my epiphany at the moment I stepped completely out of the God circle.

(post by ChristianParr removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
PS, also research hell to understand what it is and how wrong you are

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join