It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so is religion bad like i think it is?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

That's the first informative, non-mean-spirited post I ever read from you.

I could really get used to my assumptions failing thusly. Seriously, nice. In the mudpit, no less.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: TinySickTears

The obvious difference is that there's nothing in the New Testament which commands Christians to kill in the name of God, nor is any afterlife blessing promised to those who do... quite the opposite, actually. The same cannot be said about the Koran.

Where?

quran.com...
quran.com...
quran.com...
quran.com...
quran.com...
quran.com...

Lets re add these same links and include preceding and proceeding text:

quran.com...

quran.com...

quran.com...

quran.com...

Context should never be ignored, much like someone who would post the number of times the christian god himself commanded someone to kill while ignoring the context of the commandment.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Religion is a way to control the masses IMO, some people choose to blame their actions on religious beliefs thus dragging everyone else in the same belief system through the mud, imagine a world without religion do you think it would be better or worse?

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

C) What is Armageddon again???
Jesus and his diciples will slay all the unbelievers???

Seems you could Google Armageddon, or, heaven forbid, read in Revelation, so question 2 must be the real motive.

It's really unfair of you, trying to depict Christians using half truths. For the record, the Lord Jesus will slay the wicked armies of the world at Armageddon, as well as then round up all the goats, send each and all to hell. The slaying part is the picnic phase, Matthew 10:28.

Just don't like half truths and misrepresentations. And hey! We tried to warn you, never getting or expecting any thanks, maybe don't like baking you queers cakes, still, always put up with a lot. But I could see how you'd resent people, trying to spare you an eternity in hell. Makes sense to me!
edit on 9-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Added a juicy tidbit of truth.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
People say live and let live. That religion is just a method to deal with this reality. There are those that love the message of the bible and think if we could just get rid of organized religion, we would be just fine.

I suggest the message itself corrupts the soul. Regardless if it is a message through one of the many forms and renditions of the accepted books of the bible or through a preacher, the message is usually the same. The only difference is the collection of money, the structure is the same.

I think the message of the accepted books corrupts the spirit. The religious co opted the spirit and claim the only way to know it is through THEIR message. Every single one of them claims to know the truth. To claim direct communication or some form of special communication they have with GOD.

Every branch of the abrahamic religions corrupts.

I don't think it is as simple as live and let live. If we as a human race are expected to ever move towards peace and contentment, religion and man created myths will need to be in the rear view mirror.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

What is Armageddon again???

Non religious guy here.

Just thought I'd point out Revelations is a book of analogies.

Its a common misstep to take or use the words in it literally.

Also, when quoting the English Bible, remember it was translated (depending on which translation) long ago. It's good practice not to cling to particular words too hard. This is good practice for all translated religious texts.
edit on 9-8-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Non religious guy here.

Also, when quoting the English Bible, remember it was translated (depending on which translation) long ago. It's good practice not to cling to particular words too hard. This is good practice for all translated religious texts.

Of course, what I find funny: people understand this about the bible, but not other religious texts.
It's baffling.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Non religious guy here.

Of course, what I find funny: people understand this about the bible, but not other religious texts.
It's baffling.

I was raised very Christian (more forced). I saw many different kinds. It became a pet peeve when someone would assume, then tell me what I believe.

I try not to do that with people. I'm good about it with religion now and working on it when it comes to other ideologies.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I have a weird theory.

What if we have lived multiple past lives in this reality, on this planet? Our souls are eternal but have amnesia upon rebirth as a part of our soul is used to inhabit this mortal shell to play here. Somewhere connected to the part of our soul, which is still locked away as we travel the path of this reality, we have all memories of times past.

To disrupt this intuition and create a massive amount of confusion that allows people to accept untruths, our past has been corrupted. Maybe a great part of medieval never happened. Maybe we are a lot closer to the romans and greeks than we think. With the major rewrite of history around 1400-1500 when the modern chronology was created to support the man made bible. Maybe the myths of the past are true with the planets being visible in the skies, appearing as gods.

They corrupt our history to create confusion and out of the confusion they are able to corrupt us.

We should know this reality better than we do in today's age. Why don't we? If this message was divine, god doesn't have our best interests in heart. Don't you ever get the sense when trying to read the bible that it is complete BS? Where you read other texts that seem to ring with truth and you can easily retain the information, but trying to read the bible, nothing seems right. Or it is very hard to even remember what the current page was about, rereading it multiple times produces no clear understanding of the text. Almost like we know somewhere deep that our mainstream taught history is a lie.

Just a thought.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: EYEHATECOD
Religion is a way to control the masses IMO, some people choose to blame their actions on religious beliefs thus dragging everyone else in the same belief system through the mud, imagine a world without religion do you think it would be better or worse?

Better....way better.

" Religion is the opiate of the masses " Karl Marx

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I think you are damning billions for the actions of a few nutters.

Take the current antifa/right wing BS going on in the US where they accuse each other of being 'unpatriotic terrorists' but they seem to have forgotten that the US went to war (cold or hot) against both extremist groups.

It's like they cannot concieve that there could be non-extremist conservatives and try to classify the world into bipolar opposites (and you can read that how ever you want).

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
IMO, anything you believe strongly is (basically) a religion. It doesn't have to be organized religion. Therefore, it isn't necessarily "bad" UNLESS you attempt to force everyone else to be you.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

There was of course the inquisition. I guess like the Hadiths are to the Koran, the Catholic Encyclicals were to the Bible.

Both resulted in death to the "heretic" of the day.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Mmm... ye oldern ages. I've never had my country's existence threatened by the Catholics, but... well, recent history tells an interesting story about the Muslim world's relationship with the west, ya?

(post by Golden Rule removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
IMO, anything you believe strongly is (basically) a religion. It doesn't have to be organized religion. Therefore, it isn't necessarily "bad" UNLESS you attempt to force everyone else to be you.

Or
Unless your strong beliefs lead you into...
Heaven's Gate
Branch Davidian
Jonestown
Aum Shinrikyo

Those beliefs can be really bad

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

And like Amway, its just another soap - its the multi level marketing ( stairway to heaven ) that sucks em in.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
IMO it's all a total load of bolloxs and the only thing I agree with is that the religion is the Shepard and it's follows idiot sheep.

The fact is the bible makes little sense when you actual delve into it (as a teenager I was pretty into the whole God squad thing) but look at the original text it really doesn't translate into what people have based a whole relegion round. Just stupid things like the word virgin translated almah into Greek as παρθένος (parthenos), which generally means "virgin" instead of young maiden.. or the word abomination where the likes of alex Jones likes to berate people with when in effect it doesn't mean gods displeasure at all. Then used to beat gay people up, imprison them and murder them for getting on for 2000 years. Frankly... screw the bible!

You want to use the bible as a guide to life.. that's sort of ok, moralistically the new testament is pretty much love everyone although the old testament is pretty much God sitting on an ant hill with a magnifying glass. 10 commandments? Nope.. there was 613.. mostly talking about how to build a temple but of course in the bible it's god knocked out just 10 in shorthand then moses then dropped it and had to beg God to write it out again much quicker this time so he could get back to the party. You can go through every chapter of that book and just laugh at the stupidity for which people have lived and died for millennium by it's #ed up words!

The same cam be said for Islam.. don't like what is written then change it.. but understand the new translation takes president over the old.. ALWAYS so when you have one group saying no it says this and then another group flying planes into buildings because it says something else that is more to do with which 'koran' or 'tribe' they are subscribing to.

So cool, if you want to believe that crap.. cool good for you I honestly couldn't give a # but try inflicting that nonsense on me you are likely to have a 400 page book buried in your forehead!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Religion might not be good for you or me, but it can be very good for others. Like any organization or belief system it is made up of people who can be good and bad. Like anything else it is important that we allow others to believe what works for them.

I think it shows a maturity when we can allow others the space they need to live their life as they choose. It only becomes an issue when others start inflicting their belief systems on others.

edit on 2018/8/9 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
You need to understand that Biblical religion is always a joint operation, God and humans working together.
Look closely, and you will see that the bad stuff comes from the human contribution.
I've done a whole series on how that works for the social laws of the Pentateuch.

(Actually, this is probably a "Conspiracies in Religion" thread)

Disraeli I think this is one of the best explanations that I have seen. Simple put it sums it up, perfectly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join