It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

so is religion bad like i think it is?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
*note - i put this here cause i figured it wouldnt be the calmest of threads......figured it might be too heavy for the religion forum

i have been thinking about this since i read the story of the muslim dude with the kids in new mexico.

when stories like this pop up people like to get after the religion of peace as being at fault. is it right or wrong to blame the religion? i dont know.
should we accredit it to an asshole problem?

again i dont know.

personally i despise organized religion. yes good things happen because of and in the name of religion. i realize that.
imo the terrible # outweighs the good.

i think we would be better off as a people of religion never was. that is for another thread but i wanted to make my opinion known.

now back to muslim terror.
we can mention christian terror too/

en.wikipedia.org...

abortion center bombings. that is terror. just an example

no link for muslim terror cause there are plenty here already

but we can see that christians commit act of terror and muslims commit acts of terror.

we can all agree on this yes?

is it religions fault? i think to a degree. of course right. if the religion wasnt there you cant kill for it... fact

i think the fault almost always boils down to a LOT of people are plain #ing crazy and/or assholes.

do people do bad # in the name of religion? yes
do they do good # in the name of religion? yes

when do we start/stop blaming the religion for these acts of terror and start/stop blaming the people. individual people. as we are

some of us are just not good people. some of us are assholes. some of us are bigots. some of us are awesome. some of us are insane.

so even me as a person who despises religion realizes that you cant always lay all this terror # at the feet of the religion.

every issue that is an issue can be boiled down to the same problem. i think that problem is people

guns kill people. nope. some asshole did it. not the gun

weed makes you lazy. nope. weed makes lazy people lazy

know what i mean

sorry i am not to be understood but i jacked my back and my arm is numb and i went heavy on the self medicating.

hopefully you still get where i am trying to go with this.

is islam really the religion of peace and there are just some assholes that follow and half assed follow it?

is christianity a peaceful religion that just has its share of assholes following or half assed following it??

i am hoping for a legit discussion or at least scoping out some opinions.

this interests me

thanks
edit on 9-8-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Edit your post.
edit on 9-8-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Some people are just a** holes , religious or not.

Lots of non religious folks commit acts of terror, or are serial killers, etc.

Should we blame them being non religious as a reason for their unspeakable crimes ?
edit on 9-8-2018 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The obvious difference is that there's nothing in the New Testament which commands Christians to kill in the name of God, nor is any afterlife blessing promised to those who do... quite the opposite, actually. The same cannot be said about the Koran.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sheye
Some people are just a** holes , religious or not.

Lots of non religious folks commit acts of terror, or are serial killers, etc.

Should we blame them being non religious as a reason for their unspeakable crimes ?

we shouldnt blame them being non religious.
why would we?

maybe you dont understand what i was getting at.

its fine

i was pretty all over the place

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

It is unfair to blame the actions of an individual on any large group unless you have a significant portion of the population on board..

Doing that even has its own funny little Latin name on The logical fallacy list..

EVERY time you see a story that uses an isolated incident where they pretend like it is proof the left/right/Christians/Muslims /exc is crazy. It is propaganda..

You can still enjoy the story and recognize the propaganda.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   

My opinion: it's nature and nurture.

Some peoples' nature is to act out, control others, bully, be violent, etc. When they are taken in by institutions that normalizes and nurtures these tendencies into action, bad things happen.

What's the solution?

A comet, prolly. Almost hate to say it.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

That said I think religion as a whole is a problem...

It teaches people to TOTALLY invest in things with zero evidence..

That impulse can be directed to be a good or a bad thing..

But we wouldn’t have a problem with good people at all if not for religion..

Religion is just about the only way to get otherwise good people to perpetuate or condone an atrocity.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

The obvious difference is that there's nothing in the New Testament which commands Christians to kill in the name of God, nor is any afterlife blessing promised to those who do... quite the opposite, actually. The same cannot be said about the Koran.

i will agree cause i dont know whats in either except for what i read on the net. never read them.
but yes, youre right.

i dont think i am getting what i want to say out the right way though. i might have to try and reformulate.

i think the gist is in most things if there is a problem it can more often than not be attributed to people.
we are the problem.

we always have been and we always will be.

just my opinion.

touches with what i talked about it another thread.

when we were in little tribes of 100 and we had 100 sq miles to our territory these things were not problems.

now we have hundreds of thousands of people living in super condensed areas. people with different backgrounds and ideals.
stacked on top of each other. next to each other.
forced for lack of a better word to deal with each other.

this is clearly a problem.

lets be clear. as i said before i do not condone violence and i obviously do not condone it... lets just get that out of the way.

when i think about it and start breaking it down i always come to the conclusion that are problems are us.

people

link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

It is unfair to blame the actions of an individual on any large group unless you have a significant portion of the population on board..

www.pewglobal.org...

Well, the only thing left to argue is what constitutes a "significant portion."

link   
Religion is like Amway...

Love the product, but the sales people are bat sh!t crazy.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You need to understand that Biblical religion is always a joint operation, God and humans working together.
Look closely, and you will see that the bad stuff comes from the human contribution.
I've done a whole series on how that works for the social laws of the Pentateuch.

(Actually, this is probably a "Conspiracies in Religion" thread)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Where?

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

A) That sure didn’t stop the last 2,000 years of Christians...

Just because Christians have been relatively well behaved the last 50 years doesn’t give them the right to go all “it’s about the religion “..

B) Christians still include the Old Testament in their bible, and it is still quoted in basically every church in the country every Sunday..

C) What is Armageddon again???
Jesus and his diciples will slay all the unbelievers???

D) isn’t some of the “though shalt not suffer a witch to live” stuff NT??

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

More than half.. maybe 40%..

Not nearly enough of the Muslims .. there are billions.. we would have to bang out our shoes to check for Muslims if it was that high.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

B.S. in the bible god is responsible for many evil ajd and murderous acts. Good thing it's all a fairytale.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I listened to this great podcast on Sean carrols mindscape with a critical theologian.

He made a great point that the last thing we want is for a religion to cede the religion to extremists..

The average owns the religion.. the extremists are fighting for ownership.

If we let them gain ownership there will be serious problems..

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Spiritually aware people are peaceful. Being a paid up member of an organized religious club is not required in order to make a connection with " the god-figure " if that is your belief or to possess a sense of morality.

I read somewhere that if all the non - religious people in the world formed a group. ...they would be the 3rd largest in the world after Christianity and Islam.

Imo I can see future generations needing to belong to organised religions less and less.
Technology will replace the need for churches and mosques.
Maybe then..humans will have less wars.

Unless it's..... us versus the machines !

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied

Where?

quran.com...
quran.com...
quran.com...
quran.com...
quran.com...
quran.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
D) isn’t some of the “though shalt not suffer a witch to live” stuff NT??

No, Exodus is very much Old Testament.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join