It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Boldly Go......in the name of Trump's Space Force

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Meh. It's just my default position considering he screws up everything he touches. I don't have a lot of hope for this venture of his either.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

NASA can do what ever they want, and since they have a better track record of any other spacecraft agency in history I'm pretty sure if you threw money at them like in the 60s and said "do this" they could.
Unfortunately they are underfunded and underchallenged. They arent incompetent st all.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: oriondc
Nobody really abided by The Outer Space Treaty of 1967. If you think they did, you're delusional. So this is really nothing new except the formalizing of a new branch of the military.

We've already been doing these things for years. Frankly I would much rather it be made public and become more transparent so we actually know what is happening, not to mention where our tax dollars are going. Military spending also increases developments in technology, which eventually benefit everyone. This is well established.

Would you rather China or Russia develop space dominance first? I think this is great, and hope we get to find out more along the way.

I think we are looking at this the wrong way.

We should not be trying to be the first to develop space "dominance". We should be working with other nations, like Russia and especially China, to get out there and explore, test new technologies, etc. Kind of like what we are trying to do now, but on a much larger, more focused scale, rather than trying to be the first to wave our peckers from space as some sort of male dominance macho thing.
I've always said that if we ever reached a Utpoian age, it'll be herald by liberals.

But reality has a funny way of presenting truths that may be hard to accept.

There isn't anything wrong with your perspective and opinion, but as stated, human nature would would inevitably be reduced towards competition.

First Russia and China would have to be willing to be onboard and be transparent, but if our Space stations are any indicators, these nations want more and then some for there own.

I'm afraid your perspective is a bit too early and overpy ambitious for any kind of collaboration other then a small science outpost for general knowledge.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Arnie123

Meh. It's just my default position considering he screws up everything he touches. I don't have a lot of hope for this venture of his either.
Meh, to each their own.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: introvert

And as long as nations compete for resources, then putting things aside and cooperating is far less likely to happen.

I completely agree.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert

Nobody really abided by The Outer Space Treaty of 1967. If you think they did, you're delusional. So this is really nothing new except the formalizing of a new branch of the military.

We've already been doing these things for years. Frankly I would much rather it be made public and become more transparent so we actually know what is happening, not to mention where our tax dollars are going. Military spending also increases developments in technology, which eventually benefit everyone. This is well established.

Would you rather China or Russia develop space dominance first? I think this is great, and hope we get to find out more along the way.

I think we are looking at this the wrong way.

We should not be trying to be the first to develop space "dominance". We should be working with other nations, like Russia and especially China, to get out there and explore, test new technologies, etc. Kind of like what we are trying to do now, but on a much larger, more focused scale, rather than trying to be the first to wave our peckers from space as some sort of male dominance macho thing.

Sometimes someone has to be first to get others on board. Sometimes one has to make a show of strength to get others on board. I would be glad to see more cooperation, but I'd also like to see anything done better than the disaster that has been NASA over the past 15 years. I mean, good lord we don't even have a manned space program anymore. So yeah, I'll take a Space Force rather than, ya know, nothing.

Right now, I would say China is poised to be the next country to get out there and do "something".

They look at things completely different and it's amazing what they have been able to do with just changing traditional thinking.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Asteroid Mining May Be a Reality by 2025 - space.com

What if ?

Asteroid mining could shift from sci-fi dream to world-changing reality a lot faster than you think. Planetary Resources deployed its first spacecraft from the International Space Station last month, and the Washington-based asteroid-mining company aims to launch a series of increasingly ambitious and capable probes over the next few years.

Imagine that !

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Senate Dem rips 'Space Force:' No Republican is willing to tell Trump it's a 'dumb idea'

Lol. The Space Farce continues!

Sen. Brian Schatz (D-Hawaii) on Thursday blasted the Trump administration's commitment to a "Space Force," and suggested it's only moving forward because Republicans won't speak out against it.

"The VP just announced a new military branch - a 'Space Force,' because no R is willing to tell POTUS it’s a dumb idea," Schatz tweeted.

"Although 'Space Force' won’t happen, it’s dangerous to have a leader who cannot be talked out of crazy ideas," he added, urging followers to elect Democrats in the November midterms.

The VP just announced a new military branch - a “Space Force,” because no R is willing to tell POTUS it’s a dumb idea. Although “Space Force” won’t happen, it’s dangerous to have a leader who cannot be talked out of crazy ideas. Elect D’s to check POTUS power.
— Brian Schatz (@brianschatz) August 9, 2018

Schatz dismissed the seriousness of a Space Force just moments after Vice President Pence announced at the Pentagon that the administration is seeking a sixth branch of the military to be established by 2020.

Also this:

Congressional action is needed to create an entirely new military branch.

edit on 9-8-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Remote controlled Satellite/ICBM Killing drones in orbit.. Other then that Just what would a Space Force be good for ? I mean you cannot put WMD's in orbit and just about any weapon you fire down to Earth would be a WMD .
edit on 8/9/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/9/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

It's not just about weapons. It's about consolidating what we already have in place, and easing access to those systems.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I'm sure Schatz knows more than fellow-Democrat Jim Cooper who is on the Strategic Forces subcommittee and is oushing for an independent arm. Also, the NDAA for a separate corps subservient to the USAF, but with higher autonomy as an interim step towards an independent branch passed the House in a 344-81 vote last year... There are only 230 or so Republicans in the House (I'm too lazy to get an exact number, feel free). I guess the other 110 idiots with yes votes are his Democratic colleagues?I

Of course, this was before Trump dared utter "Space Force" and the strategic asset discussion became a low-information punchline for partisan jokery, so...

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: cosmickat

..In fact the Soviet Union put a 23mm canon on one of their space stations and tested it in orbit.

Yeah, as a ghetto thrust vector, amirite?
edit on 32pm18fpmThu, 09 Aug 2018 14:39:51 -0500America/ChicagoThu, 09 Aug 2018 14:39:51 -0500 by Wayfarer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

That's what it ended up being.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
A lot of pooh poohing going on. That's about it.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
how about an earth health care system that works for all Americans...what happened to that promise? how quickly the mentalists forget and their attentions can be spun...

lets sit and watch social security benefits go up in space... the space force!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: MetalThunder
Asteroid Mining May Be a Reality by 2025 - space.com

What if ?

Asteroid mining could shift from sci-fi dream to world-changing reality a lot faster than you think. Planetary Resources deployed its first spacecraft from the International Space Station last month, and the Washington-based asteroid-mining company aims to launch a series of increasingly ambitious and capable probes over the next few years.

Imagine that !

That would be very cool. I hope they would use those resources to further our goals in space, and not just for money.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I can't wait to see the first Mark I Viper fighter. Able to fly in the atmosphere and space. Loaded with twin auto cannons with over 2500 rounds. Zero G fighter combat oh yeah.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939
I can't wait to see the first Mark I Viper fighter. Able to fly in the atmosphere and space. Loaded with twin auto cannons with over 2500 rounds. Zero G fighter combat oh yeah.

Phooey!

All we need is the TR3B....ask Zaph about that...

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cosmickat

I am just happy to see us making an investment in something exciting like space instead of giving away money to foreign governments and illegal invaders. I can't wait to see all the advancements that come from this in the coming years. It is exciting to see humanity actually do something positive.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Once space becomes accessible to the populace and builds the earth governments will become obsolete to them. People that live their lives in space will not give a damn about the countries on earth. What is valuable here will have no meaning there.

Money? Those people will be trading in water and food. They will have 24/7 energy from solar that is always running. I am sure we have the technology already necessary to colonize space, but the governments know that once that happens space will be just like discovering a new continent. One that will not be ruled from earth.
edit on 9-8-2018 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join