It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pence unveils plan to create Space Force by 2020

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Sorry I'm in a rush can't add much details but it seems like the U.S Star Fleet, I mean Space Force just got more real.

Vice President Mike Pence announced the Pentagon's detailed plan for President Donald Trump's vision of a Space Force on Thursday, which would establish the first military branch in over 71 years.

"The Space Force will not be built from scratch," Pence said during a speech before members of the Pentagon. "This is a critical step toward's establishing the Space Force as the sixth branch of our armed forces

The four components to the Department of Defense establishing a Space Force:

- First, DoD will establish a Space Development Agency to develop and field space capabilities at speed and scale. The Air Force has already begun to transform its Space and Missile Center (SMC). The Department will accelerate and extend this transformation to all services by creating a joint Space Development Agency.

- Second, the Department will develop the Space Operations Force to support the Combatant Commands. These joint space warfighters will provide space expertise to combatant commanders and the Space Development Agency, and surge expertise in time of crisis to ensure that space capabilities are leveraged effectively in conflict.

- Third, the Department will create the governance, services, and support functions of the Space Force. Many of these will require changes to U.S. law. The Department will build a legislative proposal for Congressional consideration as a part of the Fiscal Year 2020 budget cycle.

- Fourth, the Department will create a U.S. Space Command, led by a four star general or flag officer, to lead the use of space assets in warfighting and accelerate integration of space capabilities into other warfighting forces. U.S. Space Command will be responsible for directing the employment of the Space Force.

Read the full Pentagon report to Congress here:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

I'd apply

link   

It was bound to happen eventually.
Guess they couldn't decide between the navy or airforce running the show and getting the funding so they started a new branch.

link   

originally posted by: Martin75

I'd apply

Me too, as long as the showers are like starship troopers.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Me personally thinks it's a good thing that they're separated.

Let the earthlings deal with the Earth.

Space is the ultimate frontier!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Forward operating bases on the moon and mars!

bye bye middle east!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: Martin75

I'd apply

Me too, as long as the showers are like starship troopers.

Trumps roughnecks!

The only good space rock is one he can grab by the.....something or other.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   

"Not built from sratch" means we already have the vessels/ships ?

It might include some level of disclosure.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

It's not about having ships or having people in orbit. It's about taking the existing Space Force commands and consolidating them under one force. We currently have three separate commands, with their own budgets, and doing the same thing the others are all doing.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Warhammer 40k just began

Praise the Immortal Emperor!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
There are 60+ boards and panels across the branches that are all currently overseeing their own pet projects and each gets to put its finger in the pie and can veto or delay any space-related project. Key programs are falling by the way side because the branches would rather fund new planes/ships/tanks than invest in survivable satellites, for example. The amount of waste and duplication would also stagger people. The internecine politcal tug-of-war between branches is also at play. That's why the OMB has repeatedly recommended changes, including a separate branch. There is also a not-new bipartisan push out of the Strategic Forces subcommittee for consolidation under a new org.

But none of that ever gets mentioned... Instead it's "haha Space Marines" , "Pew-Pew"

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

It's not about having ships or having people in orbit. It's about taking the existing Space Force commands and consolidating them under one force. We currently have three separate commands, with their own budgets, and doing the same thing the others are all doing.

Yes, Zaph. Trump loves to take credit for things. I do, however, think that it's a good idea to consolidate the multiple Space forces into one coherent unit. The question I have is why the seemingly urgent need to do this now....? What's going on up there?

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

What's going on is that we're sitting on our current tech level, riding the advantage we had for so long, while China and Russia close the gap and are rapidly developing new systems to deny us our satellites if we go to war.

If it was left to the Pentagon, then we'd be waiting to set it up in 20 years, and have been passed by everyone with any kind of budget.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   

U.S Star Fleet

With no viable way of getting to space other than with the help of others ... bloody hilarious.

Fourth, the Department will create a U.S. Space Command, led by a four star general or flag officer, to lead the use of space assets in warfighting and accelerate integration of space capabilities into other warfighting forces. U.S. Space Command will be responsible for directing the employment of the Space Force.

And how much will this new branch of warfare cost ?
How many science missions will be cut to fund it ?
And isn't this just more pie in the sky ?

Once again this administration proves it has no idea what it's doing.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

And how much will this new branch of warfare cost ? 

Probably less than all the projects being duplicated across all the branches currently. It's the same tasks currently being done. It is just consolidating them under one roof.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   

a reply to: lostbook

What's going on is that we're sitting on our current tech level, riding the advantage we had for so long, while China and Russia close the gap and are rapidly developing new systems to deny us our satellites if we go to war.

If it was left to the Pentagon, then we'd be waiting to set it up in 20 years, and have been passed by everyone with any kind of budget.

Good point. I forgot about the Russia/ China union whose aim seems to be everything anti-US. Something's afoot on the world stage.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Probably less than all the projects being duplicated across all the branches currently.

So you need another costly branch of the military rather than rectifying the problems that exist in the ones that already exist ?
Wonder who will be awarded these lucrative contracts , actually I don't wonder because it's pretty obvious it will be the existing members of the M.I.C.

Keep paying your taxes kids , Mother will keep you safe.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Yes, but it's really hard to believe they didn't have some sort of research done before Pence revealed the plan. This is not something that can be done "on a fly" or "going with flow". For example, how would they estimate a budget ?

Maybe they finished all the reverse engineering, if you know what I mean.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The problems date to the 70's and 80's (perhaps longer). The discussion about an independent arm replacing the inefficient and ineffective arrangement began in earnest in the early 90's. The urgency of Desert Shield/Storm was used by the JCS to buy more time before a reorg at that time, along with promises of reform and streamlining space oversight and operations. By the time 11 Sept 2001 rolled around, they'd actually multiplied the number of orgs overseeing projects, but again the reorg might cause a disruption of projects in the very-near-term, so it was put off with promises of reform and to look at it again in the near future.
Now we're in 2018. Same #, different day. The services will never willingly agree to an independent space arm anymore than they did an independent air arm. Noone wants to give up the decision-making, assets, or share.

So yes, after 40 years, I'd look at an independent arm to oversee space programs instead of duplicating them across branches or seeing them wither because parent branches are only keeping them on subsistence levels of funding in the never-ending battle for dollars.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

OMB made a formal recommendation to Congress late last year. The Armed Services Committee had a similar bipartisan proposal out of subcommittee. The problems date 40 years.

It's not really on the fly, though that's how it's being soun, definitely.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join