It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College or business, which would be better

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
Do both. Be resourceful. You'll find a way.

I would like but as soon as i start a business money will get cut off for me, so i would need to save more to do that. In any case it sounds exciting and i know it would be very hard but i don't care, i feel tempted but probably won't go that way because i would not have much help in case something goes wrong and i really need to make this work. So i'm taking every single thing that could fail into consideration right now. kind of a one way street once i choose to live on my own

I'm thinking i will go with a compromise, will let them keep things under whatever control they want for a couple years and save a bit more then i will open a business and take control once i can spend more on the business and keep more money for stuff, i hope i will find better chances to succeed by then.

I will definitely keep looking for opportunities and doing side education in other areas, as it is right now i either study and get their "help" or work and be on my own. That's how they pretty much kept me under control for the past 3 years and i hate it, i need to move on, there's nothing worse that feeling like you're begging for money or stuff

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Avoid degrees in any arts like programs...no long shots. Things ppl will always need are things like dentists, electrical engineers, etc.

Here I will disagree with you. A degree in theater, should set you up for knowledge in the trades. Teach you how to work collaboratively. Teach creative problem solving, and a host of other skills employers want.

www.backstage.com...

I could find other articles, but this one works even if it dosn't go into the trades.

Are you saying that you are hiring?

At times.
Do you need some side work?
I usually focus on my students and past co-workers for hires, as I know their skills. But If you need the money. . . You can send me your resume.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Avoid degrees in any arts like programs...no long shots. Things ppl will always need are things like dentists, electrical engineers, etc.

Here I will disagree with you. A degree in theater, should set you up for knowledge in the trades. Teach you how to work collaboratively. Teach creative problem solving, and a host of other skills employers want.

www.backstage.com...

I could find other articles, but this one works even if it dosn't go into the trades.

Are you saying that you are hiring?

At times.
Do you need some side work?
I usually focus on my students and past co-workers for hires, as I know their skills. But If you need the money. . . You can send me your resume.

Just curious to know, do you teach? What do you teach if so?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH

Not as my primary vocation. I'm staff.

But in my position I end up teaching:
Carpentry
Plumbing
Hydraulics
Mechanical engineering
Welding
Faux painting
Geometry
Algebra
Trigonometry
Sculpting
Design theories
etc.

Why do you ask?

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Not as my primary vocation. I'm staff.

But in my position I end up teaching:
Carpentry
Plumbing
Hydraulics
Mechanical engineering
Welding
Faux painting
Geometry
Algebra
Trigonometry
Sculpting
Design theories
etc.

Why do you ask?

From a previous reply where you suggested i should have all those questions answered for a business before moving on, it seemed like you know about business so after you said you had students i just thought you were teaching business school. Was just curious, thanks

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I have ran my own business, and my father did as well.
I work in the performing arts.

I appreciate you do look to others for knowledge. I do the same.

ETA:
You have spoken a lot about your mentors showing you how to manage. Managing is different to owning a business. Owning is a bit more cut throat if you want to survive.
As always I wish you luck.

edit on 10-8-2018 by randomtangentsrme because: The polar bears have taken me hostage.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I have ran my own business, and my father did as well.
I work in the performing arts.

I appreciate you do look to others for knowledge. I do the same.

ETA:
You have spoken a lot about your mentors showing you how to manage. Managing is different to owning a business. Owning is a bit more cut throat if you want to survive.
As always I wish you luck.

I don't feel i am there yet but i have been trying to learn as much as possible in the past months, i am very sure i won't have enough experience but i do know i can get help for a while at the beginning, it is one of those things that i will have to learn one way or another so i just have to do it somehow.

I don't want to lose on this but i have made my resolution to wait for a couple more years, save more money and then look again into starting a business. I hate it but seems to be the most reasonable thing to do in this situation

Thanks for your help, it has been good advice and i appreciate it much

top topics

<< 1   >>

join