It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Kinzhal Hypersonic Missile

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Okay folks. This is really a short post of mostly pictures. I am looking to see if anyone else actually sees any sort of inlet for any air breathing on the Russian Kinzhal hypersonic missile. I honestly don't see anything like an inlet, even with a removable cover.

What do others think?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Looks like a big IRBM 2nd stage/warhead. Reminds me of the top of a Pershing II, which makes sense, as MARV designs are probably the starting point for all hypersonic boost-glide vehicles. I'm sure the Russians have more than a few MARV or IRBM upper stage designs to dust off and use as the basis for a "quick and dirty" hypersonic weapon, which this clearly is.

Though the fact that it's clearly just a big rocket makes me think that it probably isn't as maneneuverable as any of the waveriders or boost gliders. It almost looks like an air-dropped skhval torpedo, and could well be just as much of a one-trick pony.

EDIT: I also think it's interesting that it's being slung from a Mig-31, which is an overwhelmingly anti-aircraft oriented platform. Part of me wonders if this thing is anything more than an AIR-2 Genie on major steroids, which would mesh well with my "Skhval with wings" hunch.
edit on 7-8-2018 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
There is no inlet because this is a purely rocket powered boost-glide vehicle, AKA a hypersonic glider. Barnalby is correct; the upper stage is a carbon copy of the Pershing II upper stage. This shape was developed during the AMARV technology development program ( Advanced MAneuvering Rentry Vehicle). It’s capable of pulling substantial (but still classified, I think, g’s, laterally). It’s also capable of cruising straight and level down to approximately Mach 2. a reply to: anzha

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

It looks more like a SRAM or ATACMS than a Pershing.

This also appears to be distinct from the Avangard boost glide weapon.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   
When I say it’s a carbon copy, I mean aerodynamically. It’s a slender biconic with a length to diameter ratio of about 5. That means it will behave in the same way (same lift to drag ratio, same aerothermodynamic heating rates,etc.) This shouldn’t be surprising; the AMARV was designed the way it was because it had to obey the laws of Physics. The Russians have to obey the same laws. a reply to: anzha

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Like a 50 cal bullet

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:46 AM
link   
This thing is a joke and is indicative of Russia catching up to our 1950s technology. Regardless, we have directed energy defense systems which can easily take care of this. i.e. Thule Greenland...

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
This thing is far from a joke. In a recent interview with the Hudson Institute the new undersecretary of Defense for Research and Engineering (Mike Griffin) said that systems like this in the hands of our adversaries are a serious and asymmetric destabilizing threat that needs to be addressed. Countering these weapons is his highest priority. Essentially, weapons like this allow those who possess them to threaten strategic assets with tactical systems. His testimony can be heard at:

www.c-span.org.../defense-secretary-discusses-tech-national-security

Even though the entry vehicle is 1950s technology it's the fact that the Russians and Chinese have chosen to develop and field these systems while the US has done nothing to counter them that's the problem. As Mike says, it's as though the US defense community just went to sleep after the fall of the Soviet Union while the rest of the nation figured out how to spend the "peace dividend".

An entry vehicle like this can be defeated in same way that any other RV can; kinetic impact or directed energy, IF you can see it in time. As mike says, these things overfly our air defenses and underfly our space defenses. In the case of an intercontinental ballistic missile launch you get about 20 minutes warning to do something about it. With one of these air launched boost-glide weapons, you would get about 5 minutes. It would seem that we need a new space-based surveillance system dedicated to detecting launches of this kind of weapon.

a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   

The first image you have posted is an Iskander missile. The Kinzhal is based on the Iskander so it is easy to get confused.

Iskander / Kinzhal

Iskander Wiki Link

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: tommyjo

Interesting. I found that top photo somewhere claiming it was the Kinzhal.

Thank you for the correction and the info on the technological origin of the kinzhal.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha
a reply to: tommyjo

Interesting. I found that top photo somewhere claiming it was the Kinzhal.

Thank you for the correction and the info on the technological origin of the kinzhal.

No problem. Thanks for the reply.

RAB

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Hi Guys and Girls,

Hmm,

Starting to think this is a carrier killer.

2000kg (thats a guess) at 6880 FPS would really mess up your day. Given a 600mile range and midcourse guidence.

Not sure of the point of land attack when you have plenty cruise missiles and things like Bramos.

This thing IMO is for killing high value things at range putting the shooter out of harms way.

Although I love to see how far to with fly (Falling with style) with th MIG31 in a high power climb. Toss bombing in a very strange way.

RAB

posted on Aug, 11 2018 @ 07:48 AM
link   

MARV in flight

notice the extreme movements

new topics

top topics

join