It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democrats Now Claim The Surviving of Our Democracy Relies on Banning More Sites

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Why do you say that? Did you even read the article at the link? It is a group of Democrats!

www.investmentwatchblog.com...

“A leaked memo circulating among Senate Democrats contains a host of bonkers authoritarian proposals for regulating digital platforms, purportedly as a way to get tough on Russian bots and fake news.To save American trust in “our institutions, democracy, free press, and markets,” it suggests, we need unprecedented and undemocratic government intervention into online press and markets, including “comprehensive (GDPR-like) data protection legislation” of the sort enacted in the E.U.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: soberbacchus

There's a bit more to it actually!

www.zerohedge.com...

Mandatory location verification. The paper suggests forcing social media platforms to authenticate and disclose the geographic origin of all user accounts or posts. Mandatory identity verification: The paper suggests forcing social media and tech platforms to authenticate user identities and only allow "authentic" accounts ("inauthentic accounts not only pose threats to our democratic process...but undermine the integrity of digital markets"), with "failure to appropriately address inauthentic account activity" punishable as "a violation of both SEC disclosure rules and/or Section 5 of the [Federal Trade Commission] Act."

Interesting stuff!

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

Easy question.

Are you for or against censorship?

I am against government censorship. I am all for the right of a PRIVATE entity dictating what information is stored on and displayed by their servers. Just like I am all for ATS blocking and banning content they deem inappropriate.

-DD

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS
a reply to: soberbacchus

There's a bit more to it actually!

www.zerohedge.com...

Mandatory location verification. The paper suggests forcing social media platforms to authenticate and disclose the geographic origin of all user accounts or posts. Mandatory identity verification: The paper suggests forcing social media and tech platforms to authenticate user identities and only allow "authentic" accounts ("inauthentic accounts not only pose threats to our democratic process...but undermine the integrity of digital markets"), with "failure to appropriately address inauthentic account activity" punishable as "a violation of both SEC disclosure rules and/or Section 5 of the [Federal Trade Commission] Act."

Interesting stuff!

Crazy stuff.

Considering people on the right have been attacked with fists and bike locks to the head without provocation. Considering mobs form, and heavy security is needed by any one on the right who gets publicity. One comment you make gets trending, and next thing you know you'd have a mob at your house, or someone could physically assault you merely for your political position.

PS

As for alex stuff. The social media sites which control 90+% of the internet showed collusion with practically all big sites banning alex. We have laws to protect against monopolies and oligopolies, if they don't extend to this they should be made to, and attempts at controlling consumer choice and harming society should be blocked.

The problem with some here is that if their state sold all public lands and roads, they'd be all giddy defending their rick to block individuals from speaking or traversing what were previously public spaces. The public squares on the internet just so happen to be owned by private hands, which is disgusting. They only keep that power by lies of omission. Should they openly disclose shadow banning, fake trendings, trending suppression, speech suppression they'd lose a good chunk of consumers.

IF they're going to play partisan tricks they should be forced to disclose that they will be partisan and discriminate against conservatives. They cannot claim to be open platforms, or real social media sites, if they're biased and altering public communication, creating a fake social media site.
edit on 8-8-2018 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

Easy question.

I am against government censorship. I am all for the right of a PRIVATE entity dictating what information is stored on and displayed by their servers. Just like I am all for ATS blocking and banning content they deem inappropriate.

-DD

If you're going to take a side, and discriminate and lie, you cannot claim to be an unbiased real social media site, that allows free exchange of information. You must be forced to disclose you're an echochamber which will artificially block conservative speech from trending, shadow ban, and create fake trending. Let the people know the truth, don't lie to them, and a lie of omission is still a lie.

See how many walk away, tens of millions in U.S alone, hundreds of millions or even billions globally.

The other problem is as has been said in other threads. Does the phone company have a right to block you, does the electricity company, does the water company? If your state privatizes the roads do the road companies have a right to block you on partisan grounds?

This is a public square, on the net most people think these are unbiased intermediaries that are allowing them to communicate and share, that is why they're so popular. But again they've become oligopolies, and like many a cartel have in the past, they're showing vast collusion which is harming society and consumer choice, demanding government intervention.
edit on 8-8-2018 by Xenogears because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DoubleDNH

Easy question.

-DD

So you're for corporate censorship based on ideology.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
For starters, the title is inaccurate, as appears to be the norm for this particular member. 1 person doesn't represent the entirety of the Democratic party. "A democrat" would be more accurate, but not entirely accurate, because that isn't exactly what he said. Call it fear-mongering, or stirring the pot, whatever you like, but this entire premise is faulty. ATS has their motto for a reason. "Deny Ignorance". This poster, and those jumping on the bandwagon without actually looking into what was said, are not denying ignorance, they're promoting it by distributing lies. So annoying, and will do nothing to help our country become what it could be.
Having said that, the situation that started this conversation didn't CENSOR anything. Jones was blocked by companies from distributing his material on their platforms. He is free to distribute his videos, writings, etc. anywhere else online, which includes the website he runs. Nothing has been censored.
The only places he is no longer able to distribute his opinions are private companies/corporations, who are allowed to ban whomever they want, and have policies saying as much. Corporations do not have the power to censor people, they are only able to keep people from using their service, but there are literally thousands of other services available to Jones to spread his hate.
I see a lot of people on ATS saying how much they love Capitalism, but when the system they love does the EXACT thing it's built to do, but does it to something they don't want it to happen to, they complain endlessly. This is the system you love in action, no censorship involved, just good business.
The entire situation is a false narrative.
edit on 8-8-2018 by narrator because: Wording

edit on 8-8-2018 by narrator because: wording

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:00 PM
link   
"Our Democracy"???

Really??

The United States of America is a Constitutional Republic!!! Let that sink in for a moment

I cringe greatly when i hear the word "Democracy"

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have to quote the late Aaron Russo for this great and explosive statement. This might have been on of the great masterpieces Alex Jones has contributed to. Thanx Alex and Aaron for this.

"The very fact is that if you ask one hundred people on the street: "What kind of government is America supposed to be?" 99 percent of them will tell you "A democracy. America is supposed to be a democracy."

But that's a lie! That's an illusion. The word "democracy" is not written into the Constitution one time, it's not in the Bill of Rights, it's not in the Declaration of Independence. The Founding Fathers hated the idea of a democracy. They thought it was the worst form of government there is, and I agree with them, because in a democracy 51 percent of the people control 49 percent of the people. If you're part of the 49% you're not free!

America was founded as a Constitutional Republic. And in that Constitutional Republic that we have, 99 percent of the people can't take away the rights of one percent! You have your rights because you were born with them. You have God-given, human rights - that nobody can take away from you - the government, the majority, no matter who they are - I can't take away your rights! And that's what our Founding Fathers gave us. [6]

But the psychological operations that they do to us make us believe that we're a democracy, and that majority rules. And they want you to believe that, because then they tell you this poll says this many want this, and this many want that, and this many want this - and it doesn't have to do with anything! "

There was a Youtube video, but now its been taken down

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Interesting video.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: anotherside

originally posted by: ausername
If this democracy can't survive without censorship then please let it die.

logic..reason...exploding.

That's why they ban speakers at academic institutions. The reason?

"The arguments presented by the speakers are so cleverly crafted and designed to sound convincing that they cannot be disputed in the debate. Therefore we must ban this type of discussion."

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
It's hilarious to see those who have been crying for 17 months about shutting down CNN/Post/NYT now crying about freedom of the press and freedom of speech.

It's so far beyond cognitive dissonance ... we have to coin a new term for it.

Oh wait, we have one: total lunacy.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

No one has said we should shut down CNN/NYT/WaPo. Nice straw man.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Where in the world did you discover that from? Some jerkoff hiding in a cave in Afghanistan??

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: xuenchen

UMMM I am 99% sure he does not speak for the party. But continue spreading propaganda. Those that take what you say as truth are stupid, others that question it are smart.

So you're denouncing this? You don't want more sites removed?

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   
So the first ammendment is now a threat to democracy. I knew they felt threatened by the second ammendment, but now the first too???

edit on 8-8-2018 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2018 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: sooth
What is going to sink our democracy is the tribalism behavior running rampant on social media and in our political parties - particularly on the left. It is the barbarian invasions of our time.

The biggest lie ever told is that truth comes from a place of power. You cannot serve both truth and power. It doesn't matter from what angle you look at it, everyone is spinning their own fictions. If you're looking for truth from your politics then your eyes are going to rot out of your skull.
Well actually making an argument from authority (power) is a classic logical fallacy.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I have to reiterate -- America is not a Democracy. Don't believe for one second that it is!

Stop perpetuating this lie, and when You hear politicians use the phrase: "Our Democracy" -- fight back against it.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Foreshadow

They should be thrown out of office for ushering such words, and or ignorant to American values. Are these really the people who represent Us?? Certainly not You or Me! This is Profane
edit on 8-8-2018 by Foreshadow because: edit

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join