It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Bush acknowledges his low popularity ratings in Europe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
U.S. President George Bush acknowledged that he has a low popularity rating in Europe. Citing the acclaim that Benjamin Franklin received over 200 years ago, the President joked to an audience that he had been hoping for a similar reception. Bush continues on what has been billed as a goodwill tour and even dinned with French president Jacques Chirac.

story.news.yahoo.com
BRUSSELS, Belgium - Fully aware that many Europeans have disagreed with him on Iraq and other issues, President Bush was quick on Monday to acknowledge his low popularity ratings.

"You know, on this journey to Europe, I follow in some large footsteps," Bush said at the beginning of his speech that addressed hotspots around the world. "More than two centuries ago, Benjamin Franklin arrived on this continent to great acclaim."

Bush quoted an observer at the time who said, "There was scarcely a peasant or citizen who did not consider him as a friend to humankind."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The dog and pony show continues for now. It at the very least is a superficial effort to mend fences on both sides, however, I think that the rifts seem much deeper that a few kiss and make up media events like this will be able to cure. It remains to be seen if this will have any effect at all in the near term and long term relations between Europe and the United States. We are all victims of our own prejudices and preconceptions, and I have heard many say that the main issue is not anti-Americanism but an anti-Bush agenda. However, I can but to wonder if the tensions were there long before President Bush came onto the scene?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Several friends recently returned from Europe and said attitudes have changed. Prior to the re-election, Europeans were anti-Bush but liked Americans. After Americans re-elected Bush this past November, however, the tone is now decidedly anti-American as well as anti-Bush. Europeans can not fathom why Americans re-elected the Bush Aministration. Europeans are re-evaluating what Americans are about. The push for war and increased global power by American is rubbing people wrong.

JAK

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:27 AM
link   
There is no doubt that there is what some Americans may categorise as an anti-US sentiment among some Europeans, also though that sentiment is echoed by many in the US itself and it appears more frequently that those who live in the US are tarred with the same brush and labelled as unpatriotic.

A true patriot is not one who stands behind everything his country does wrapped in the nations flag; but one who desires and strives for the best for their country and does so even at a personal cost.

It appears all to easy in the USA to blindfold yourself with the flag and dismiss the opinions of anyone else as contrary to national interest. Perhaps those who shout the loudest should be valued as much as those who wave the flag strongest; an attitude that seems to be dismissed all to easily recently, and sometimes with venomous hostility.

Jack

[edit on 22/2/05 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
You make some strong points and arguments, JAK.

As for what is mentioned in the article:

BRUSSELS, Belgium - Fully aware that many Europeans have disagreed with him on Iraq and other issues, President Bush was quick on Monday to acknowledge his low popularity ratings.

IMHO, the man admists such, whereas, some would not. Admirable trait.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I dont actually see this as a "fence mending" toour so much as Bush being nice enough to allow the french to save face. Prior to his reelecton the frenvh were saying he wouldn't be reelected because of european anti-bush sentiment, prior to that they were saying that our efforts in Iraq would fail, The have been proven wrong on the first, and are being proven wrong on the second. This is just Bush's way of showing he is the bigger man.

Hey europe, you were wrong we dont have to work with all of you, just the ones who are willing to work with us, to accomplish our goals.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Anti-American feeling is gathering momentum around the world; with many individuals who were once supporters of America actively turning against a country that has lead the western industrialised world since the end of World War Two.
Why has this change in sentiment happened and what are the factors driving it forward?
The start was the fall of the former Soviet Union, which left America as the only real super power remaining. With the balance of power shifted it became apparent that America could now dictate, to a large extent how the world was to operate. No great problem there, America is after all the land of the free and home of the brave. It is far better to have a truly democratic state in a position of superiority.
The real problem comes when you look at the motivations for Americas behaviour, energy, or lack of it.
America produces 4 percent of the world’s oil at present but uses 60 percent of all oil produced. With the country using the equivalent of 26 super tankers a day the scramble for resources to keep the economy going is leading to a foreign policy based around the acquisition of natural resource.
Iraq has the second largest oil reserves in the world, and with oil production in decline in all areas apart from the Middle East it is clear to see why the Bush administration is set upon its current course.
All nations, both great and small wax and wane; America is currently on the wane in international terms. It is consuming itself to death, unchecked growth and increased energy demands are dragging it towards the brink. Mass power blackouts and oil wars are set to be the daily norm for the American people.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I feel the Iraq war is the catalyst of this and the euro and french bashing by the right in the US didn't make things better at all, nor did the 'go it alone' gun-ho attitude of the Bush Administration make things good.

Now it's a two-way street and it's going to take a lot of work to bring things back together. I don't think that Bush will succeed in this, it's either going to take another major event or a new US president from the left that is more appealing to Europeans and their choice of lifestyle.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
Hey europe, you were wrong we dont have to work with all of you, just the ones who are willing to work with us, to accomplish our goals.

Helluva an investment strategy; I mean, hey, they only are the end point employer for most Americans AND the soon to be near future crowned #1 World Economic Super Power......yeah...we don't neeed them!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

Helluva an investment strategy; I mean, hey, they only are the end point employer for most Americans AND the soon to be near future crowned #1 World Economic Super Power......yeah...we don't neeed them!

Really bout, then why did the EU just remove its goal of becomming the worlds most cpmpetitive ecnomy by 2010?
Why does germany have the highest unemployment in over 60 years?
Germany and france are not the EU, they are an small, and getting smaller, prt of the EU. However the UK, Poland and others are also Part of the EU.

We dont have to work with the entire EU to weork with some of them bout.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:06 AM
link   
But I much rather have the CEO, CFO, CIO and all the other C level executives on board in making a sale; as opposed to a smile to my face & a knife in my back, no?
Regardless of stated goals, the EU & it's members are something we need not allienate due to ignorance & hubris. There inroads into Asia Pac, Mid East & Russia are superior to ours......Germany & France are the lazy jab that takes away the focus on the impeding over hand Right that knocks the sh*t out of ya!

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I disagree bout, France and germany will be put in thier place not by us, by the rest of europe.
Besides the UK is on our side and will stay there.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Yah, but is he heading in the right direction, ie: is he more or less popular than before he left the US?

His meeting with the rapidly becoming russian dictator Putin is probably the key meeting during this trip. I was surprised to hear bush during his address yesterday refer to Putin as bring back in democratiic principles - so Putin could SHARE power -wow!. Was that an NWO slip of the tongue?

Dallas

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is not about bush "allowing other countries" to help, but the willingness of other countries to accept bushes extreme agendas when these countries has a more realistic view of the world than bush does.

Yes bush has low popularity ratings within the European communities, but the truth is that without their help US can not work by itself without causing more damage to our economy and our domestic agendas.

The bush administration is like Robin hood, but this time is not about taking from the rich and giving to the poor but more like taking from the American people to support the results of his war.

I imagine that other countries see the bush administration as the one that made the mess and it should be up to him to fix it by itself.

At the end it comes to the same thing, the way things are now with the world is not what the bush administration was expecting after his champion attitude in the middle east he though to become a hero and now his just made a big mess.

Que sera, sera.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
It used to be that an American Presidants word, was all that was needed. There was a trust that all felt towards america. Bush took that trust after 9/11 and used it for all the wrong reasons. So much more could have been accomplished and it was squandered to get more $$ into american companies

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

"More than two centuries ago, Benjamin Franklin arrived on this continent to great acclaim."
Bush quoted an observer at the time who said, "There was scarcely a peasant or citizen who did not consider him as a friend to humankind."

His speechwriters are living in a bubble.........there is a large percentage of americans who don't care for Benjamin Franklin and his potential associations(if any!) to Bush, much less the Europeans!! This is exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to Bush and what he says in response to the world.

He acknowledges a low approval amongst Europeans.....that's mighty generous of him to finally take a look outside and comment on reality for a change.........what does he intend to do about it? Well, despite the reasons for his low popularity, at least we have a president who will admit it........admirable trait
.......I feel pretty good about the fact that the president can take the moral high ground..?!?!?!?

President Bush, who takes frequent mountain bike rides on weekends, put that to a test on Monday, using the sport to bridge his differences with the European ally who opposed the war in Iraq.
"He's a great biker," Bush said and he walked with Verhofstadt across a courtyard here to the prime minister's office. "I need a little training."

From the article, I'm thrilled to see that differences in opinion on political views that have resulted in death can be so easily negotiated. A bike ride. You're flippin' kidding me, right? You know, Bush can go fly a kite for all I care(couldn't help the pun
), I hope that there isn't anyone out there who expects me to think a jovial commentary on bike riding is in any way relevant.

With the Putin comments and this, Bush is just proving to me how lame he is, beyond the already given. Nothing of substance comes from his mouth, only conceptual ideology and never an actual addressing of the issues that every one is up in ires about.............

[edit on 22-2-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time

What exactly are you basing this on? No doubt the EU has certain compedative advantages and protectionist policies, but their economy will never be able to fairly compete given their ultra high labor costs etc. The 35 payed for 40 work weeks is just such a problem. The EU no doubt is an economic force to be reconed with but its far from a world beater.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Its a little hard not to notice the thousands with signs and war paint holding signs in English...
wishing his prompt departure from Europe.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
About as hard as it would be to see those thousands that are rallying with those "pro-Bush" signs, too, huh, dgtempe?

Would that fall under "News you won't see or hear about on CNN, MSNBC, BBC, CBS, NBC, ATSNN, etc."?

seekerof

[edit on 22-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Its a little hard not to notice the thousands with signs and war paint holding signs in English...
wishing his prompt departure from Europe.

I tell you what people in Europe will rather welcome a rattle snake in their back yard than self proclaim lord and Saviour of the world.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Seekerof, i thought we were talking about his realization of low popularity in Europe? I know he's not despised by all.. but now that you mention it, i would love to see pictures of those who welcomed him. Got any?
Seriously, I like to see both sides of the news.

One side is Here

Unfortunately this is all i've seen.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join