It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This dude walks into my office

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:
(post by ChristianParr removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:44 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:35 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH

If I noticed that you are purposely breaking my rules I would ignore ya. Just to get under your skin. Remember I am only 30 and know those tactics.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I've had the pleasure of my husband accidentally butt-dialing me a few times at work, so I know how he treats his co-workers, be it superiors or subordinates via accidental eavesdropping.

You're not there yet and have a LOT left to learn. End of discussion.

Edit: And this is why you have a lot left to learn. You're still so wet behind the ears at life that you're dripping.

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
Remember I am only 30 and know those tactics.

edit on 8/8/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

While I won’t disagree that I have ALOT to learn. I still put up numbers that outperform most. I am not mean to those around me at the work place but I do have expectations that at all costs will be met. That is how I am able to perform the way I do. And with a team that doesn’t meet those standards I cannot reach my goals. And in order to reach my goals they must perform and in return they also learn good work ethics. I constantly challenge them with new tasks to see what the limits are. For the most part I get asked for new tasks to complete and they learn. I may be only 30 but I get things done. And because of these very basic principles that I am privy to certain things that others in my field are not. PERIOD

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Your.. err.. "16 rules" and such alongside the predilection towards spandex paints a very fascinating picture.

Do tell us more

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Be more specific please. I will tell you anything that you want. I am a very open book in regards to talking.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Being more specific would ruin most of the fun!

I mean, I'd never think to ask about tights or rules on sitting in the workplace.

Follow your heart!

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Serdgiam

Being more specific would ruin most of the fun!

I mean, I'd never think to ask about tights or rules on sitting in the workplace.

Follow your heart!

I must say that was very clever. Well done you!

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Or the old dude could be thinking

"I trained you for your position, i taught you a lot of what you know, now you have RULES on how i have to approach you posted on your door, despite seniority or respect?"

I find that highly offensive, and I will be honest I sold my business for a LOT of money, if any of my professionals had EVER treated ANYONE , be it client or fellow employee like that , I would have booted them out on their arse.

Everyone wants to think they are the "Wolf Of Wall street" but they forget the person was a piece of crap whose longevity wasnt those who actually know how to work in business.

There are a few types of employees.

Those who arent replaceable and those who THINK they arent replaceable. We want as employers to do good by our employees but were not going to sacrifice our bottom line for people who think they are untouchable. Sorry, my grandkids security overides your ego.
edit on 9-8-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:11 AM
link   

a reply to: SailorJerry

Now here is where my problem arises. I do have a superiority complex issue but for the most part I know when it becomes a factor in a situation. This person and I are equal in what we do. And me giving respect when earned is not a problem. This dude has earned my respect but not to a point that he can just walk in and act like my office is his. He is not my boss and NO ONE including my boss can sit unless asked. I am a good leader and do have my flaws. But my rules are clearly in print next to my door. Rule#1 KNOCK first. #2 no eating when speaking to me unless we are both doing so. #3 NEVER sit unless asked. #4 well we will leave that out. The list actually has 16 rules. I call them the “16 points to success”.

Oh Man!
There has got to be a secret email chain circling the office, something like: '16 ways to annoy the boss'?
Probably a sizeable pool along with it?
Perhaps the old guy went for broke, and tried to own the pool by breaking all of the rules in one visit?
Did he get any high-fives on the way out?

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 01:57 AM
link   

And that ego is going to lead to the downfall of that company. I assume that you gave it off to a son. If I am wrong then my bad. Lead a company similar to how the military operates.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   

And that ego is going to lead to the downfall of that company. I assume that you gave it off to a son. If I am wrong then my bad. Lead a company similar to how the military operates.

Here's the basics of keeping a job. It doesn't matter how often you exemplify perfection on paper with the bean counters, if you're the catalyst for a high turn-over rate or low employee morale & subsequent slowdowns or sloppiness in their work, it's going to be traced back to you. You don't win anything worth bragging about by being an ass to people, you earn yourself the bean counters' bright light and microscope eventually.

There was a person in my husband's factory with that same attitude not too long ago. "We're here to work, not make friends. Now f# off and stick to my personal rules of work etiquette."
She got s#canned for that attitude, it contributed to a higher quit rate for the shift, and low productivity because being an ass doesn't make people want to put their best effort forth. It stresses them way the hell out. Stressed employees are never good for the company bottom line, especially when the problem is a superior. They never think theyr'e disposable & easily replaced until they are.
The bean counters caught up to her after watching through several performance evaluations, and she got fired. You are being watched & evaluated, whether you're cognizant of that or not.
edit on 8/9/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:47 AM
link   

You know I would expect a man in his 20s to think he knew everything, but not one in his 30s, wake up call, you dont.

Nut up and respect your predecessors

Actually that ego led that company to be in the hands of many capable men and women and still thrives on east coast Where I sold it.

So try again.

We did lead it similar to how the military operates but thats not how YOU operate...

You said yourself the man who trained you was the one you disrespected, in the military, what you did would get you smacked down.

I did run my company how the military operates in a lot of areas, and even more how I OPERATE as a person, and in doing so i secured the future of my family, even though its sold, the ones who over see whats left, know the cost and how to handle it.

Dont presume anything.

Youve done that repeatedly and shown that you are less qualified for your position, apparently than what you claim, maybe the man that stepped in your office should have your job

I worked in shipping and recieving of goods from MULTIPLE countries, I dealt with gov diplomats and services of heads of state on a regular basis, dont try to tell me anything. honestly...........the problem is YOU!!!
edit on 9-8-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
The only aspect to the OP's style which comes remotely close to 'military behaviour' is his apparent attitude that in his office everyone is subordinate to him and should comply with his orders.
Almost like he thinks he's a commissioned officer or something.

rules on a sign outside his door, LMAO that won't command the respect he seems to crave, not at all.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
The only aspect to the OP's style which comes remotely close to 'military behaviour' is his apparent attitude that in his office everyone is subordinate to him and should comply with his orders.
Almost like he thinks he's a commissioned officer or something.

rules on a sign outside his door, LMAO that won't command the respect he seems to crave, not at all.

I know I am not running a boot camp. My 16 steps apply to me just as everyone else. My team is the best in the country and for good reason. We perform...actually out perform all others. So I assume I am doing something right. Maybe some of the members here should re-evaluate the way you do things. I am no baby boomer and handle myself in a different manner than others. Perhaps that is why I am able to do what I do. MY 16 steps and my ABC policy has brought me to where I am. Don’t knock it before you try it.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
just my opinion - but when some senior to you asks you a question - that you think they should know the answer too already - the chances are its a fooking test - so answer wisely . some one as smart as the OP claims to be - should recognise this " tactic " but hey

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Fair one man, if you are the best team in your company nationwide out of thousands of staff then kudos, it obviously works for you, and people wish to be on your team, or they'd leave.
EDIT
I've been self employed for a long time now though, so pretending to show respect to someone I don't like (through fear of losing my job) would be something I would hate to do.
I turn work down if I don't like the client/customer for their attitude or whatever. Done it many times, and when I have been an employee, I've always walked when I no longer enjoyed it or conditions were no longer acceptable to me. I have never been fired.
edit on 9-8-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SailorJerry

Or the old dude could be thinking

"I trained you for your position, i taught you a lot of what you know, now you have RULES on how i have to approach you posted on your door, despite seniority or respect?"

I thought that i was saying the same thing, i was trying to say he felt like this and that's why he ignores the rules and breaks them in that way, as if to show how little he cares and that he is not going to fall that low that he will obey when he feels he doesn't have to at all

I find that highly offensive, and I will be honest I sold my business for a LOT of money, if any of my professionals had EVER treated ANYONE , be it client or fellow employee like that , I would have booted them out on their arse.

Everyone wants to think they are the "Wolf Of Wall street" but they forget the person was a piece of crap whose longevity wasnt those who actually know how to work in business.

I would not know, i have never worked on an office or to be honest on anything else other than my family business for a few months but is not related to office work at all so i don't know, i did not see that movie by the way. As i said i would not like for anyone to force me to follow rules like that and i would not have respect and would probably break as much rules as possible in record time, i would get fired too but that's ok because i would not like to work under an environment where i feel i'm in jail

There are a few types of employees.

Those who arent replaceable and those who THINK they arent replaceable. We want as employers to do good by our employees but were not going to sacrifice our bottom line for people who think they are untouchable. Sorry, my grandkids security overides your ego.

I agree with this, we used to employ a cousin a few years ago, he thought he was untouchable because of being our cousin, one day my brother when into the garage and found the guy was stopping workers from finishing their job so that he could use some of the machines on his own car (we have a business where classic cars are restored and turned into 1/4 mile racers or simply restored to be how they were when sold new). So anyway the guy was not allowing people to work so that he could fix his car, he was fired right away

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join