It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This dude walks into my office

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:
(post by Allaroundyou removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

Omg the second post I decide to check out and read today, is also written by you!
that's a trip n' a half lol. But again, great read man.

Great way to vent thyself and have other people laughing along.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChristianParr
a reply to: chr0naut

Well obviously non of us where there to understand in what context all that happened or the power hierarchy i.e was he your equal, your boss, your employee? I personally am a Director of a company so deal with staff daily. Some have #ty days and treat me with respect but you can tell something is up.. some new employees try to treat me as a friend (soon put a stop to that) and some will try to treat me as their equal or sub peer, again that is dealt with their and then.

If he is your employee obviously tell him what you expect as an employee including behaviour when coming into your office, if he is your boss perhaps just moan to your better half at home as everyone else in the world does, if he is your equal then really you can't moan at all.

Remember, if you are a door matt people will in fact wipe their feet on you! Man up fella.

Why do you feel like an employee cannot treat you as their peer? I hang out with my managers and know when to treat them as such. It just sounds like you're the typical douche that likes power and will consider anyone below himself inferior.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: LtFluffyCakes96

Omg the second post I decide to check out and read today, is also written by you!
that's a trip n' a half lol. But again, great read man.

Great way to vent thyself and have other people laughing along.

Well I am glad to help. I do and don’t try at the same time. Oh and if this helps I am pissing on my “third eye” just to muddy it up and to piss of my dog.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JameSimon

Well obviously non of us where there to understand in what context all that happened or the power hierarchy i.e was he your equal, your boss, your employee? I personally am a Director of a company so deal with staff daily. Some have #ty days and treat me with respect but you can tell something is up.. some new employees try to treat me as a friend (soon put a stop to that) and some will try to treat me as their equal or sub peer, again that is dealt with their and then.

If he is your employee obviously tell him what you expect as an employee including behaviour when coming into your office, if he is your boss perhaps just moan to your better half at home as everyone else in the world does, if he is your equal then really you can't moan at all.

Remember, if you are a door matt people will in fact wipe their feet on you! Man up fella.

Why do you feel like an employee cannot treat you as their peer? I hang out with my managers and know when to treat them as such. It just sounds like you're the typical douche that likes power and will consider anyone below himself inferior.

I get where he/she is coming from. But like they said the context must be considered. Since no one was in the office I imagine that no one can come to any reasonable assumption about how this went down. So it is in the best effort to assume I was wrong and to give advice as they see fit. Nothing wrong with doing so.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

originally posted by: JameSimon

I get where he/she is coming from. But like they said the context must be considered. Since no one was in the office I imagine that no one can come to any reasonable assumption about how this went down. So it is in the best effort to assume I was wrong and to give advice as they see fit. Nothing wrong with doing so.

I know is not my place and that you may say whatever about how i don't even know what is going on, but your first post really left too many thing to assume, and assumtions are the mother of all fkc ups

I don't have a clue about office work but I feel like you hate the guy from before, I don't have a way to know this I just feel it somehow.

I do get how you when you hate that older people have to tell you how to do your stuff specially if they have a bad attitude at that moment, I can't handle it at all

What would happen if you tell him off? Would it bring bad things to you?

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
a reply to: WarriorMH

OHHH yes me telling him off would bring hell on me. I guess in a way you could say he trained me for my job. So I can’t bring hell upon him. As much as I would like to though. He goes about his way of doing his job differently than I. He is passive aggressive as I try my best to not be. He walks in and gives the illusion of a choice though his mind is made up. I walk in and give options. You have A,B, and C or you get let off. Fix your mistakes or I send the email. He came to me wanting advice on what B, and C would look like.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I may be out of my depths but I know common curiosity. If you are in front of a desk then you wait to be seated or ask beforehand.

But you said he trained you for your job, so obviously he is either equal or has seniority.

It sounds to me the problem here is you have an authority complex, you feel you have to be in control all the time and if someone doesn't LET you feel that way, youre slighted, insulted and jaded.

Looks to me the problem is your attitude not his

I would fire you on the spot for being disrespectful like that to a peer.

Guess its a good thing I sold my business years ago.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
What a way to treat your father. Show him some respect as he's seen more crap in the world than you.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SailorJerry

Now here is where my problem arises. I do have a superiority complex issue but for the most part I know when it becomes a factor in a situation. This person and I are equal in what we do. And me giving respect when earned is not a problem. This dude has earned my respect but not to a point that he can just walk in and act like my office is his. He is not my boss and NO ONE including my boss can sit unless asked. I am a good leader and do have my flaws. But my rules are clearly in print next to my door. Rule#1 KNOCK first. #2 no eating when speaking to me unless we are both doing so. #3 NEVER sit unless asked. #4 well we will leave that out. The list actually has 16 rules. I call them the “16 points to success”.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
What a way to treat your father. Show him some respect as he's seen more crap in the world than you.

He is not my damn father lol. I would never work for my father nor would he ever ask me to come work for him. Also my skills would not really be able to be utilized as well at his corp.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

NO ONE including my boss can sit unless asked.

That attitude is simply retarded.

I am a good leader and do have my flaws. But my rules are clearly in print next to my door. Rule#1 KNOCK first. #2 no eating when speaking to me unless we are both doing so. #3 NEVER sit unless asked. #4 well we will leave that out. The list actually has 16 rules. I call them the “16 points to success”.

These rules are in print next to your door????? Good Lord! Sounds more like "16 points where I prove I'm a jerk." Really. The attitude your profess here is not that of a leader. It's of a control freak, living proof of the Peter Principle in action.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

my rules are clearly in print next to my door. Rule#1 KNOCK first. #2 no eating when speaking to me unless we are both doing so. #3 NEVER sit unless asked. #4 well we will leave that out. The list actually has 16 rules. I call them the “16 points to success”.
Sounds a bit too authoritarian for me. I wouldn't work in a place where people stick signs like that on their office door. It seems like treating people as children to me, sort of sign you'd find on a classroom door.

If I was visiting to discuss business as a third party unconnected to your company, that sign would indicate much as to the type of person I'd be meeting. It would not be a positive image in my mind.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Well I am a jerk so I will give you that. But my job requires that I am. Though I bring more options to the table than others in all regions. All others in my division either fire you or let you keep your job even though one may not be producing the numbers. I give opportunity with my ABC approach. If your current approach is not producing I sit with you and your team and I along with said person make a ABC plan to get the numbers. This has worked time and time again. I have a reason behind my madness. And so far it has worked.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

That makes sense but I don’t meet people in my office unless they work with the company. I go to them. And yes my approach is a bit authoritarian but it allows me to do my job very well. IF and that is a big IF I invite someone to my office, that is a good sign for them. I have a well oiled machine here guys. And I know the sign next to my door is a bit off putting but it works. All my employees know what is expected and they also learn respect. The 2 key ingredients to success. So the sign will stay up.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Wow, your world seems alien to me. I've worked everything from manual to corporate and I can't imagine seeing signs with the rules of someone's office on display. Childlike rules such as eating, honestly the only thing I can equate it to is memories of 'teacher's rules' on my primary school classroom wall.

The 'respect' is not real when people are meekly following orders for fear of some kind of negative outcome if they fail to comply. If I came for a job interview and saw your sign I'd turn and walk out.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Wow, your world seems alien to me. I've worked everything from manual to corporate and I can't imagine seeing signs with the rules of someone's office on display. Childlike rules such as eating, honestly the only thing I can equate it to is memories of 'teacher's rules' on my primary school classroom wall.

The 'respect' is not real when people are meekly following orders for fear of some kind of negative outcome if they fail to comply. If I came for a job interview and saw your sign I'd turn and walk out.

He probably has a ruler to struck your hands if you misbehave. I wouldn't be able to work with a person like this. Jesus.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Ahh well then

It seems the problem isn't him at all

Simple
edit on 8-8-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Dbl
edit on 8-8-2018 by SailorJerry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Now here is where my problem arises. I do have a superiority complex issue but for the most part I know when it becomes a factor in a situation. This person and I are equal in what we do. And me giving respect when earned is not a problem. This dude has earned my respect but not to a point that he can just walk in and act like my office is his. He is not my boss and NO ONE including my boss can sit unless asked. I am a good leader and do have my flaws. But my rules are clearly in print next to my door. Rule#1 KNOCK first. #2 no eating when speaking to me unless we are both doing so. #3 NEVER sit unless asked. #4 well we will leave that out. The list actually has 16 rules. I call them the “16 points to success”.

Don't know anything about office work or rules but I do know that if I had to work there and there were rules like that I would find a way to break them all, most times intentionally just to bother you. I am bad at handling when people try to force me to follow their ideas or rules

Maybe the old guy is just doing it on purpose too, I know I would eventually get into a crazy bad argument with you if I had to work with constantly having to check I am not breaking one of those rules and he seems to be doing exactly that, breaking them on purpose. But who knows

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join