It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: North Korea Indicates Return to Nuclear Talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Kim Jong Il, the North Korean leader, has indicated that his country is willing to return to six party talks. This return, told to a visiting Chinese diplomat, was conditional on the United States showing "sincerity". This potential return comes less than two weeks after North Korea pulled out of six nation talks and announced its possession of nuclear weapons.

story.news.yahoo.com
SEOUL, South Korea - North Korean leader Kim Jong Il told a visiting Chinese envoy that his government will return to six-party nuclear disarmament talks if the United States shows "sincerity," the communist state's official news agency said Tuesday.

The announcement — the latest in more than two years of conflicting statements over North Korea's nuclear program — came less than two weeks after Kim flouted Washington and its allies by claiming that it had nuclear weapons and would boycott the talks.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

According to the Chinese communist official that met with Kim, the Stalinist dictator had this to say: " [North Korea]would as ever stand for the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and its position to seek a peaceful solution to the issue through dialogue remains unchanged". SO either Kim is jerking the chain of China as well as the U.S. or all of this is some elaborate plot of China to keep the U.S. busy. However, I highly doubt that that is the case. As the article points out a nuclear armed North Korea, might force the South and Japan to develop such weapons of thier own for defensive purposes. This is exactly the nightmare scenario that is nuclear proliferation and why it really needs to be stopped. Its a domino effect and world may not survive it if left unchecked.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Ah so now they say they want to go back to talks. I really think China has much more sway over N Korea then they like to portray. Perhaps China flexed a little muscule on N Korea and this story is to allow N Korea to save face even though they did what China ordered.

Good point about S Korea and Japan perhaps soon wanting nukes to counter the N Korea threat, This IMHO is a very real outcome.

I think a nuclear S Korea and Japan would not be in China's best interest. I really doubt China will allow N Korea to keep acting the way they are if its against China's own intrest.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I think I read somewhere that if South Korea and/or Japan wanted to go nuclear it would take them months instead of years to do so - due to their already sophisticated level of technology in nuclear energy as well as their secret nuke work carried on in the 1980's.

[edit on 22-2-2005 by intelgurl]

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Seems to me part of the problem with the present boss of N Korea is his consistent effort to resemble a Yo Yo.

Or mayhaps he watches the news and when things appear quiet, he stirs the pot to get back into the headlines once more.

This dictator's unstable and I feel that's what makes him dangerous. Well, that and his possible offensive arsenal whether launched from home or sold on the black market, this guy has the key for now.

Dallas

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The United States and other parties in the six-party talks over North Korea's nuclear program are "ready to return to the table at an early date and without preconditions," U.S. State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said Tuesday.

"It's only North Korea that claims current conditions are unfavorable" for talks, Boucher said.

"For our part, the United States stands ready to return to the talks to discuss the proposals that have been on the table since June."

edition.cnn.com...

top topics

join