It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

43% of Republicans say Trump should be allowed to shut down media

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Hate to say it, but those comparisons to Germany in the 1930's are getting less outrageous by the day...

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaDe_

If Trump starts his own TV station or video streaming service, he can ban content providers from there. But he should not use his presidential powers to silence opponents.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A single poll in isolation I don't think ever really proves much, if it was consistent within a number of polls then fair enough. Still 43% in one poll is a fairly hight number of people who don't seem to believe in freedom of the press.

What I think is actually really interesting is the emerging debate about freedom of the press in our modern age and how it ties in to freedom of speech. How the same people who are outraged with they perceive the freedom of speech of the likes of Tommy Robertson and Alex Jones being suppressed also seem to be the very same people who call for CNN to be shut down. The irony seems to elude them.

Personally I believe in freedom of the press, I might think infowars.com is a load of bull but I believe that they should be aloud to report as they please even if its quite obviously mostly crap.

When the president says that the media are an enemy of the people, I think thats when we know there are real problems. It was a utterly stupid thing for him to say but its probably the kind of crap that influences these people to think its basically ok to give up their freedom of speech. Because thats what this is, those who advocate shutting down the press are basically saying take my first amendment right, my intrinsic right as a human being to freedom of speech and take a huge dump on it.

edit on 7-8-2018 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ErrorErrorError

You need to pick a position. If we are to go off of pure capitalism, then we can;t be complaining when that capitalism bites us in the butt and start crying for government help. If we're going to put the media on some sort of pedestal under government protection, then we can't ask for capitalism to be invoked when things go wrong as well.

I say let capitalism rule... no special protections or restrictions for the media. If they slander, they should be sued; if they lie to the public, they should be fined.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Vladi suggested that things go much easier with no media butting into your business.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Interesting headline.
I do not believe the government should be able to censor or shut down any media.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Our government does not get to "shut down" media.

That said there are some interesting quotes in your story...
from your link

President Trump’s repeated cries of “fake news” and attacks on journalists as “enemies of the American people” have resonated with his base, with 43 percent of Republicans saying he “should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.”

Sad that gop voters no longer value the 1st amendment.

When asked if Trump should close down specific news organizations, such as CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times — all frequent Trump targets — 23 percent of GOP voters agreed while 49 percent did not.

so 49% value the 1st amendment

Overall, Republicans were more likely to take a dim view of the media, the website reported. Forty-eight percent said they believed “the news media is the enemy of the American people,” with only 28 percent disagreeing.

48% believe the news media is the enemy .......that is very interesting

Nearly four out of five — 79 percent — said that they believed “the mainstream media treats President Trump unfairly.”

Hmm wonder why that is???

According to the survey, 12 percent of Democrats and 21 percent of independents agreed that “the president should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.”

well now this is not just a gop voter issue it appears...

But 12 percent of Democrats and 26 percent of independents agreed that “the news media is the enemy of the American people,”

wow a lot of people are distrusting of the msm.....

And a large majority — 85 percent — believed that “freedom of the press is essential for American democracy,” compared to 4 percent who opposed that statement.

well it is not all bad news....
perhaps the msm should forgo the opinion and return to actually reporting events unvarnished?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I just got done polling the creators and current CEOs of Apple, Twitter, FB and YT.

100% say they support shutting down any person/entity/outlet that having differing societal and political views.

Take my word for it!

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Almost half folks. Can't say I'm surprised after all we've seen as of late.

President Trump’s repeated cries of “fake news” and attacks on journalists as “enemies of the American people” have resonated with his base, with 43 percent of Republicans saying he “should have the authority to close news outlets engaged in bad behavior.”

The results — suggesting that a plurality of Republicans would have no problem trashing the First Amendment — came from a stunning new poll conducted by Ipsos

43% of Republicans say Trump should be allowed to shut down media

The original source of the poll, Ipsos.

I guess we shouldn't readily trust polls right? Unless, of course, it's a polling firm like Rasmussen and the poll is in favor of Trump I guess? Is that the exception here? Or are there other exceptions? I don't know I get confused sometimes on the standards set on here.

43% of Republicans - likely closer to about 20% of the voting population. We're talking about millions of American voters, prepared to give the president the ability to dictate and shut down unfavorable media. I wonder by how much this attitude has changed over the last 2 years?

This must be a joke. Republicans are usually 1st amendment. I call Fake Poll!

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   
So now polls results are good and allowed and actually mean something?

Or only ones you agree with?

What a joke.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:35 PM
link   

The executive order — “Assignment of National Security and Emergency Preparedness Communications Functions” — was released last Friday in the late afternoon. The Friday before, the White House issued data showing that its payroll had increased 14.1 percent over the last year of the Bush administration. Read Newsmax: Obama Quietly Gives Himself Power to Seize Internet | Newsmax.com

www.newsmax.com...

I am not sure if this xo is still in effect.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I love how we're all supposed to be outraged by hypotheticals, but pay no attention to what's actually happening. The media wants everyone worried that a journalist is going to get harmed, meanwhile Democrats are actually trying to kill Republicans. Democrats are actually using violence to shut down speech they don't like. It's the same here. For years the left has been screaming, "shut down Fox news". The last administration actually had a war (their words) with Fox News. Now they're shut down one critical outlet and are cheering on to shut down more!

And yet we're all supposed to be outraged by a poll.

edit on 7-8-2018 by Thejoncrichton because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
This is speculative and a poll.

However, the Left is actually shutting down speech they oppose.

I am more concerned about what is really happening than some bullcrap poll.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Respondents to the Ipsos survey seemed to generally share that belief as well. In one of the poll’s few silver linings for the press, 57 percent of all respondents said that they believed news and reporters were “necessary to keep the Trump administration honest” including a plurality of Republicans (39 percent agreeing with that statement compared to 35 percent disagreeing). A slightly less robust 46 percent of respondents said they agreed that “most news outlets try their best to produce honest reporting” (compared to 35 percent who disagreed). And virtually everyone (85 percent of respondents) believed that “freedom of the press is essential for American democracy” (compared to 4 percent opposed to that statement). But despite support for journalistic principles in the abstract, respondents also seemed inclined to believe that reporters had too much professional protection. According to the survey, 72 percent of all respondents agree it should be easier to sue reporters who knowingly publish false information, including 85 percent of Republicans and 63 percent of Democrats.

this is from the Daily Beast, the site linked in the OP's story.

That seems to contradict the poll results, and this comes from the same poll. I'd wager the poll skewed the questions or something like that. Notice the data is absent.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I'm certainly against ANY infringement of our constitution. However, if California can split hairs concerning the 2A, why can't there be a "3 strikes" you're out as it pertains to misinforming and manipulation by the press?

Oh......that's right,...Obama legalized it.

So either rescind that policy, or do your due diligence and stfu.... Unless you actually NEED to be told what to think and believe, then yes, you as a walking mindless drone, would have a valid gripe.

edit on E31America/ChicagoTue, 07 Aug 2018 15:44:35 -05008pmTuesdayth03pm by EternalShadow because: edit

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
To those bringing up Alex Jones, the difference is that Facebook and Apple didn't go into his studio and shut production down, they simply removed him from their services. This poll is saying that nearly half of Trump's supporters are OK with Trump and his goons going into a companies' studios and shutting down production. There's a huge difference, one that is easily discernable.

Then again, how big was this sample size? I have a hard time believing that tens of millions of people actually support our government shutting down free speech.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

No matter how you (in the general sense) slice it, the takeaway should be this (and should be agreeable by virtually all):

We need accountability in the media. Accountability will actually result in reporting TRUTH. That's the easy part.

Establishing measures of accountability/punishment, and measuring truth is the gray area. Per the usual, there are no easy answers.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Oh......that's right,...Obama legalized it.

How? Did he pass the First Amendment? Damn he's old.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

thehill.com...

A strong majority of Democrats would cancel the 2016 presidential election between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump if it meant President Obama could serve another term, a new poll found.

Data provided to The Hill by the conservative polling outlet WPA Research found that 67 percent of Democrats would take a third term for Obama over a potential Clinton administration.

Those results — suggesting that a majority of Democrats would have had no problem trashing the Twenty Second Amendment — came from a stunning poll conducted by WPA Research.

See how polls work?

edit on 7-8-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Then again, how big was this sample size? I have a hard time believing that tens of millions of people actually support our government shutting down free speech.

I have a hard to time believing that tens of millions of people ACTUALLY research the news they ingest.

Honestly, how many people actually READ terms of agreements in full?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   
That is a horrific number, scary really. However, if the media reported on Trump's statements accurately isntead of pretending he is talking about "the media" or "the free press", that type of sentiment wouldn't be that high.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join