It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now the Trump administration wants to limit citizenship for legal immigrants

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Oh boy, lots of hate for immigrants in this thread, even sadder is not supporting those who are actually trying to become citizens which has always been the Right's biggest criticisms against illegal immigrants. You know, become a citizen, pay your taxes.

But here are representatives of the Right supporting this and creating new rules as they go along. Classy guys, real classy.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Yeah, that's how you became one.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Right--the anchor-baby issue.

I full grasp that, and it's often done intentionally. Those parents shouldn't be citizens with that mentality, IMO (again, if the anchor-baby thing was their goal and reason for coming here).

I agree that tha parents should not be givin citizenship for reproducing but they should be allowed to stay and raise the child if that is the choice.

Now it will be argued that they are staying through no fault of their own to raise the citizen baby and that gives them the right to get welfare when needed.

possibilities anyhow

You know, I never thought about it but I'm willing to wager foreigners who have kids in the US and it's territories don't get to become US citizens because they had a kid. Pretty sure that's not at all how it works. Let's see,

Statistics show that a significant, and rising, number of illegal aliens are having children in the United States, but there is mixed evidence that acquiring citizenship for the parents is their goal.[25] According to PolitFact of the St. Petersburg Times, the immigration benefits of having a child born in the United States are limited. Citizen children cannot sponsor parents for entry into the country until they are 21 years of age, and if the parent had ever been in the country illegally, they would have to show they had left and not returned for at least ten years; however, pregnant and nursing mothers could receive food vouchers through the federal WIC (Women, Infants and Children) program and enroll the children in Medicaid.[25]

Looks like you agree with what's already in place, well for the mother anyway. Sorry dad, you gotta go. See ya in ten years!

edit on 8-8-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego

originally posted by: Wayfarer
I'm bemused that there are so many people with a hate-hardon for immigrants .....

Just common sense. More hungry mouths are never popular, especially when many at home are lacking.

Actually common sense would be address just why there are so many people that are lacking as you say, for a rich diverse country there is some seriously bad management going on if locals and immigrants (legal or illegal) are competing for resources.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I still dont understand how these people are SUPPOSEDLY getting all this free # and welfare.

My family, myself included, are all employed and US citizens from birth. And yet we have to fight to even get JUST a lowly amount of food stamps for 3 month increments because of the damn slave wages in this country.

I think its bull# personally and drastically sensationalized. That or social services in certain states just let anything fly to anyone even without a SSN. But im skeptical, I know for a fact it dont work like that here. In a liberal state, even.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Lightdhype

Far as I know, the kid gets the benefits and the mother is the caretaker so WIC and Medicaid. Do they also get welfare? Food stamps? Makes sense the kid does cuz citizen but is the mother also given the same?

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Well, I'm impressed. I agree, the idea sounds good but the devil will be in the details.

I really don't understand what is so hard about the immigration issue. The goal should be, IMO, to let in honest, hard-working people who really want to be a part of the USA. I want those people to be citizens! What I don't want is the massive influx of low-skilled, no-skilled, lazy people who just want to relax on the government's dime and maybe take up the low-wage jobs that might be available so they can send the money back home. Taking away the prospect of citizenship from anyone who shows they fit that latter description just reinforces our commitment to the former group and makes for a stronger America.

TheRedneck

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
So how many immigrants are actually trying to become citizens anyway?

Do they really want to become permanent members of America or are they just working here until they want to return home?
That's not an immigrant.

many of them return home, for the same reason many non immigrants who can afford it leave when they retire. it's not that they really do not want to stay. it's because the pittance many get when they retire will barely let them live. while when they return home, or people who go to other countries when they retire, can actually live pretty decently on that same pittance. this due to the buying power and differences in costs of living. and it can be a huge difference. i know people who have done so. the money they get for their retirement in places like the US and Canada, they can barely live on, without working some sort of job as well. and that would entail living in crapped out tiny apartments. yet in these other countries, for that same money they can live well, including having things like live in cooks and maids. many of the immigrants end up inheriting land, or buy land and build big houses at a fraction of the cost of even smaller housing in North America on that money. many retirees even are able to use some of that money, which will not even be adequate to live on in North America, to start businesses. pretty much by moving to or back to these countries they go from poor, to if not rich, at least well off.

there is of course one big downside to these people leaving and going to poorer nations. that is that they remove their money and retirement wages completely out of the country they worked most if not all of their lives in. and instead that money all ends up in the countries they move to. which hurts the economies in places like the US and Canada, while helping the economies of the countries they move to.

and making changes to citizenship in the US, will not change the situation for the betterment of the US. but instead will cause even more people to leave and take their money with them. since why would they stay, if they are not citizens? as it is a good chunk of money that immigrants, especially temporary workers earn in places like the US immediately leaves the US to go to their home countries. since many of those immigrants and especially temporary workers send a fair amount of their wages back to their home countries to support their families there. as is culturally expected of them. there are even special taxes charged by at least some countries, to offshore workers on temporary job contracts. and if i understand it correctly in cases where someone is working abroad, and is still a citizen of their home country (and this includes Americans and Canadians working in other countries, and people who have dual citizenship). they have to pay their income taxes in their home country for the money they earn in that other country. and thus may only pay a partial, if any income tax to the country they are working in. just as an American, say working in Hong Kong, pays American income tax on their earnings. and may not pay any income tax, or only a small portion of income tax in Hong Kong where they are living and working. (this has actually caused problems for many Canadian citizens, since a parent, or even in some cases a grandparent was an American citizen. and the IRS still considers them American citizens, and expects their income tax money. Canadians have had their Canadian bank accounts frozen, by the US government for tax evasion. in many cases without the affected Canadians even realizing that they were expected to pay at least partial American income tax in the first place).

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   

From a practical standpoint, I'm fully against citizenship (or permanent residency) by default.

From a human standpoint, though, I sympathize with the complexity of the issue.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brit-Tex
It’s always been this way I am an legal immigrant to this great country. You are allowed to accept these benefits but until you repay the balance of the benefits, yourself or the sponsor then you will not be considered for citizenship.

Why is this so hard to understand I became a resident in 2010 this was the same under the previous admin and the one before that and the one before that etc.

Thanks for the real world input...

Perhaps the admin wants to take away the option of you even being able to receive assistance for help. In other words they are gonna take the option away completely.

It should not effect much other than who gets the bill.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Looks like you agree with what's already in place, well for the mother anyway. Sorry dad, you gotta go. See ya in ten years!

I did not think it was that way. It is dumb and only causes need for mom's to get help cause no daddy. Just another policy that attempts to kill the nuclear families.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

Well, I'm impressed. I agree, the idea sounds good but the devil will be in the details.

I really don't understand what is so hard about the immigration issue. The goal should be, IMO, to let in honest, hard-working people who really want to be a part of the USA. I want those people to be citizens! What I don't want is the massive influx of low-skilled, no-skilled, lazy people who just want to relax on the government's dime and maybe take up the low-wage jobs that might be available so they can send the money back home. Taking away the prospect of citizenship from anyone who shows they fit that latter description just reinforces our commitment to the former group and makes for a stronger America.

TheRedneck

In my mind this day going forward it should be that anyone that wants to come here can do so. They should not be allowed to get gov. help or vote.

That is the thought behind this action imo.

They will muddy up the xo likely and lose the idea. Maybe not though.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
My wife legally immigrated from one of the poorest EU nations, learned English which she's now completely fluent in. Worked her ass off every day for decades in her 3rd language, never took any kind of assistance from the government and is happy and successful.

Why should other lazy or uneducated immigrants have it easier? What many lefties don't understand is a large number in the immigrant community ask the same question.

Did she immigrate through marriage to you?

Did she know any English before she came here?

Did she not take any assistance because she was being supported in some other fashion (through you or a relative/friend)?

Good for her if the answer to the questions above is all 'No', but its not really an apples to apples comparison. Circumstances can be wildly different and it would be the ACME of foolishness to assume all immigrants face the same hurdles and challenges in emigrating to the US.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

In my mind this day going forward it should be that anyone that wants to come here can do so. They should not be allowed to get gov. help or vote. I do not mean to say i am in favor of limiting citizenship! Only that if someone wants to come here they should just have to checkin at the border pass a back ground check and be givin a status that allows them to be here but no eligibility for voting or gov. help.. The only help the gov. should give them if a ticket home if they choose.

That would take pressure off the border and then if someone was crossing the river we could get super serial with them cause we would know they are bad hombres.
edit on 8-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TXRabbit

Chickasaw

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
If you take away all their free s***, half of them would be gone tomorrow. Go Trump!

Here is an example of a person who would be denied under the proposal. A young guy gets a visa legally to come here from Chile to join the marines. He has a university degree in Farsi, so the Marines send him to Afghanistan where an IED blows off both legs. He gets a medical discharge and draws disability. He is married (to an American citizen and has a young child. Because veteran disability payments are so low, to feed his family he applies for food stamps. Under the Administration proposal, this totally disabled veteran can't become a citizen of the country he almost died for. I call bull on this proposal being pushed by a GD draft-dodger.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: F4guy

nice catch...

i do not think this should apply to citizens or people seeking citizenship.

It should apply to those here and coming here that are not eligible for citizenship.

edit on 8-8-2018 by howtonhawky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Where is the humanity in this?

Republicans aren't human. This is another effort to try to disenfranchise anyone who might be suspected of supporting Democrats. They are assuming that wealthier immigrants will support Republicans, though I can't believe they're all evil, selfish POS's like the GOP is.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lightdhype
I still dont understand how these people are SUPPOSEDLY getting all this free # and welfare.

Many of the welfare programs are hidden. I came across this quote a while back, which illustrates the point, though I don't have the source.

Many Asian immigrants come to Michigan to go to college, work in the tech field, or to take advantage of Federal taxpayer subsidized small business loans to immigrants.

If you've ever noticed how it is that many of the Mexican blue-collar workers are all driving new pick-up trucks, that's probably why.

Similarly, I remember running across a news story about how migrant farm workers get free diapers from social workers for their babies. No longer have the source for that, either, but you get the point. There are probably many more examples.

edit on 8-8-2018 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This reg made me think of a guy I served with in the Army. He was Mexican E-4 and when we were deployed to Iraq, his wife had to apply for some form of help as did a lot of military families.

Military was his way to earn citizenship and it would be total bull# if he had lost that because of a rule like they are planning.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join