It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another good guy with a gun saves the day..

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley
a reply to: chr0naut

OK, so you think that an attempt to disarm the general population in the US would cost the lives of many.

Here's an interesting link: Gun Control in Australia, Updated - FactCheck.org.

But the lives of many are already being lost, at increasing rates over 10,000 per year, and that doesn't include all the non-fatal gun injuries. That's like the full capacity of a mid sized indoor stadium wiped out, every year.

More US citizens have died by shootings inside the US, than all the deaths of US soldiers in all wars. It's like a massive war of attrition invasion was going on, except that it is US citizens killing themselves and each other.

I'll readily acknowledge that we have a problem. There's no doubt about that. But, as I see it, there's just not the political will to do much about it right now.

Perhaps if the general public realized the actual and relentless toll of gun deaths, the will of the people (as opposed to gun lobbyists) would drive government policy (hint, in current news there is outcry against the mayor of Chicago because of the rise in shootings there).

While I respect your opinion, I'm not sure that the gun lobby is the only driving force in our lack of gun control legislation. There is a substantial portion of our citizenry that takes their 2nd Amendment rights very seriously. And even without organizations like the NRA they are politically active and wield significant political power.

At some stage, the people are going to say "enough is enough". It will be the will of the people.

I won't argue that point either. If, and when, that happens, then there will be enough political impetus to actually take some action to attempt to control firearms. However, given the makeup of our Supreme Court, it's likely that some parts of any gun control legislation will be deemed unconstitutional. So, even if our view of gun control were to change tomorrow, it will take at least another generation before anything substantial can be done about it.

... and if it leads to civil war, then no other country in the world would stand by a US that is destroying itself.

I don't know that it would lead to a full out civil war. But there would be serious unrest. And a great many otherwise law abiding citizens would die protecting what they believe to be a God-given right.

While I acknowledge your point about the stadium full of people who die by guns each year right now, I believe that the social disturbances caused by any substantive gun control legislation (i.e., the so-called "gun grab") would have a much greater societal impact.

As far as any country standing by the US, I'm wondering how many will still be standing with us when the current administration finishes destroying every relationship we've established since the end of WWII.

-dex

Cheers Dex!

Isn't the suggestion that the second amendment is 'God given' a fairly obvious untruth (like the country with both the highest per capita prison population and the highest total prison population in the world, calling itself "the land of the free")?

But I do see the US government and the will of the people as becoming increasingly separate, just as the citizenry is becoming increasingly divided.

The people are feeling powerless against government and the government is increasingly enacting unpopular bills (like the surveillance issue).

At some point, the people will begin to see their own 'government/military industrial complex' as enemy. Hopefully, they will seize back democracy through non violent means but the existing government's response has always been violent and I can't see them abiding by 'the constitution/bill of rights/declaration of independence' now so I don't expect them to let go with grace.

edit on 7/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

This one certainly would be...

If, God forbid, I should ever have to shoot someone, you can be damned sure that I will damned near subservient when the cops arrive...

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
This is being plastered all over the news. They are even giving large blocks of air time to students who were there and want to praise gun owners and the second amendment for making them safer! I have to admit when they started calling the gungrabbers "murderers" and saying James Brady had blood on his hands, I was a little put off. But the media didn't seem to care or correct them. They just kept giving them more and more studio time...

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

A tactic, I surmise--perhaps wrongly, to attempt to show that "see? We were right, all gun owners or their supporters are nuts."

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
This one falls under the heading of,"you can't make this shot up". Here in Texas some years back,a convict was paroled. He had no plans for the narrow path. He pulls a home invasion. He must've missed the stickers that "we're NRA proud". This idiot breaks in to this house. Here comes dad with his Desert Eagle. His 14 year old son is coming the other direction with his Mossberg home defender 12 gauge. This poor slob manages to get out the front door. He climbs in his truck,locks the doors and tries to start the truck. Truck don't start. Father and son are right there at his truck. Pop tells his son to keep his shotgun pointed at the convict. The dad goes to call the cops. The convict is sweating bullets. He's terrified the kids gonna shoot. He gets on his cell phone and he calls the cops. You gotta get over here and save me from this kid. I know the cops were laughing their asses off when they arrested this idiot. Bottom line. Another family is able to protect themselves from an intruder,cause they own guns

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimmley
I love that. Where did you find it?

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JameSimon

Hey Portugal. Way cool. I wanna visit one day. You got gorgeous beaches. I also want to check out that Pena Palace at Sintra. That's killer the way they built it on a mountaintop

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JameSimon

Hey Portugal. Way cool. I wanna visit one day. You got gorgeous beaches. I also want to check out that Pena Palace at Sintra. That's killer the way they built it on a mountaintop

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Timm45
a reply to: Grimmley
I love that. Where did you find it?

Showed up on my FB feed

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join