It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charlottesville is shutting down for the weekend??

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Nazis marching and chanting "Jews will not replace us" and Trump states there were good people on both sides...hmmm,

So what good people march with Nazis and chant the above?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

they aren't holding another, the city refused to grant them a permit and kessler just showed up at court late the last time and announce he was dropping the case... they are going to DC instead.
so, why all the road closures and such... not sure, the announcement makes it sound like it was at the urging of the FBI, along with local and state police. so, I can only guess that they saw or heard something that made them believe that there was some kind of threat...

and..
state fairs, nascar races, sports games... gee they all bring revenue into the city and very seldom is violence one of the headaches that the people have to put up with. maybe the people feel that a some traffic headaches are worth the money coming into their city, probably keeps the taxes lower maybe and increases business in the area. they get some benefit from it!!
just what benefit does a city get for hosting a white supremacist rally that is usually accompanied by a anti-racist group, both ready for battle? broken windows, littered streets, maybe a few broken bones or worse?? there is no comparison between that and state fairs, nascar races, or most sports games!!!
and like I said, there were charlottesville residents injured the night before the event, and the car accident, as near as I can tell, happened around four or five blocks away from the event. not to mention, someone was hit by a car in a parking lot somewhere in the city. I'm sorry, but I don't buy this idea that it's the victims fault, for being on THEIR STREETS... that's right, THEIR STREETS... no matter how many times the separatist loudly claimed them for themselves!!

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Meh--I prefer free speech to genocide of thought, no matter how terrible the thoughts may be.

Call me silly.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

That's one hell of an omen.

Take care and avoid the area.
😱

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Probably a good idea.

We don't need anymore fascist leftists getting violent and assaulting citizens.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: SlapMonkey

so, the little people of charlottesville should just hide in their homes, blinds drawn, while the people (from both white separatist groups and anti-fa) come in to have their war??? and, I suppose that after they are done, you expect those little people of charlottesville to resurface to clean of the mess that is left, to rebuild whatever is destroyed?

After this comment, it's impossible to deny that you are confrontational simply to be confrontational.

Notice I didn't say that law enforcement should leave, I never said allow them to have their war, and I never said that anyone should cower in fear.

You do understand that when I say Charlottesville "should become a ghost town," that I don't literally mean that people need to cower in fear and board up their homes, correct? It's a metaphor meaning that they should simply avoid the area and let the jackasses play with themselves.

How you can turn that approach into a negative thing while accusing me of thinking that the residents should cower in fear and allow a war to happen is beyond me. You know that police will be present, right? Personally, I'd have the National Guard down there, too.

You can pitch a fit over my approach, but are you pitching a fit over the mayor's approach, because he's doing exactly what I'm recommending. Of course, if he deems it necessary to take all of these precautions, maybe the march shouldn't be allowed to happen in the first place. It doesn't take a genius to foresee the violence and property destruction that will most likely occur, along with a sad precedent for loss of human life.

But, yes, I'm the one with the silliest of ideas.

And for the record, residents absolutely should affect change to their daily routine in order to deal with such a thing happening in their city--they would be idiots not to.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: damonster
Nazis marching and chanting "Jews will not replace us" and Trump states there were good people on both sides...hmmm,

That poor dead horse...

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: damonster

That's because there was good people on both sides that day. You had a group on each side there to cause violence, but there were many on both sides peacefully protesting, and peacefully counter-protesting.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

They aren't preparing for a rally or demonstration I don't think. that is happening in DC. I have no idea just what they are preparing for but, for instance, starting today, most of the entrances to city hall will be blocked, only one way in or out.
that sounds more like they are preparing for a potential bombing or something. same with the ban on parked cars... are they afraid of a car bombing or something...

as far as changing routines.... heck I already advised my son that if work calls him wanting him to go to charlottesville that weekend, just refuse the job! just in case...

this thread is more about what is going on now and what may happen in the near future... mainly it's meant to be just a heads up that this might not be too safe of a place to be.

but, this well it's their fault for being there bit isn't right, people live in that area, people work in that area. not everyone can put their lives on hold till the insanity goes away!!!
and speaking of the insanity... consider this...
if I gathered a hundred or more of my friends and we drove across town, saw you outside planting a rose bush and all parked our cars, and gathered in front of your house shouting at you about how stupid it is for you to put a rose bush there, it should be a lilac tree for hours upon hours... ummm.. what would you think? would you consider it harassment? would you call the police. isn't this just free speech... now what if a bunch or pro-roses showed up and started confronting my group? wouldn't somewhere in the back of your mind you be thinking.... wtf is it to them what I plant in my yard? heck they don't even live around here, it's not even like they are gonna have to look at it?

the first offense, that lead to all the violence was a bunch of people, traveling not across town but across the country and at least in one case, from another country.... trying to coerce a community into accepting their thoughts on what should be in their community parks.. well... sorry wtf is it to them what is in that park, how many of them had ever been to charlottesville before this, how many of them will return (outside of for the purpose to raise hell again)?

so ya, my son might lose out on some money next weekend... he might even tick off his boss a bit if he refuses to take the job... and, alot of people in charlottesville are probably gonna lose quite a bit of money because a large portion of downtown is gonna be a ghost town!!! all because some people just have to stick their noses into business that they really shouldn't be concerned with!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

They aren't preparing for a rally or demonstration I don't think. that is happening in DC. I have no idea just what they are preparing for but, for instance, starting today, most of the entrances to city hall will be blocked, only one way in or out.
that sounds more like they are preparing for a potential bombing or something. same with the ban on parked cars... are they afraid of a car bombing or something...

It sounds like they are prepping for possible anniversary stupidity from the deadly one last year. but I do suppose that your guess is as good as mine. But the way that they closed down streets, it almost looks like a parade route or something.

this thread is more about what is going on now and what may happen in the near future... mainly it's meant to be just a heads up that this might not be too safe of a place to be.

And it's a good heads up.

That sucks that your son is so close to the issue.

but, this well it's their fault for being there bit isn't right, people live in that area, people work in that area. not everyone can put their lives on hold till the insanity goes away!!!

There are many things that aren't right and are unfair, but when we choose to live in tight-knit communities and larger cities, we often have to deal with many things that aren't right in exchange for the comforts of urban life. I don't live or work in Cincinnati, but I am within the metro area, and there are a lot of things that happen on a daily basis in that city that aren't right and are unfair to people just trying live their lives and be good citizens.

if I gathered a hundred or more of my friends and we drove across town, saw you outside planting a rose bush and all parked our cars, and gathered in front of your house shouting at you about how stupid it is for you to put a rose bush there, it should be a lilac tree for hours upon hours... ummm.. what would you think? would you consider it harassment? would you call the police. isn't this just free speech... now what if a bunch or pro-roses showed up and started confronting my group? wouldn't somewhere in the back of your mind you be thinking.... wtf is it to them what I plant in my yard? heck they don't even live around here, it's not even like they are gonna have to look at it?

Harassment isn't the same as free speech, and it's not at all protected.

As for me, if I were on my property and felt threatened, I would call the police first, then I would probably transition from concealed carry to open carry and let that speak for itself after letting them know that the police are on their way. Hopefully it wouldn't escalate past that. My wife would probably load up the shotgun in the house, just in case, too. Hell, we may even get the scoped .270 hunting rifle ready, or maybe just pull out the AR15 for good measure. All of it would be caught on my security cameras, too.

Your scenario...I don't see that happening, and it doesn't happen enough to be used as a logical comparison. We're talking about people having permitted demonstrations in public spaces.

Whether or not the people are from that area is irrelevant--people are bussed in or travel for demonstrations all of the time.

I sympathize with your concern and questioning as to why someone who doesn't live near a local issue feels it's their responsibility to go march over it, but then again, that's part of people's rights in America. I would never say they shouldn't do it, but I do absolutely acknowledge that it generally only adds gas to a fire.

That goes back to my other point, though--maybe local governments shouldn't be approving permits for obvious hate groups. It's better to be sued by the group, IMO, than clean up the aftermath.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

a reply to: Gandalf77

considering that some of these people (again, on both sides) are being spotted at rally after rally seems to indicate that this might be their job!!

I really have to question just why the residents of any town that they choose to pop up at next should be expected to hide in their homes, or change their routines in any way.

When those inbreds from the Aryan nations kept obtaining permits to have their righty-whitey parade in downtown Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, the businesses sponsored a movement to close down and attend alternative events elsewhere in that beautiful city. The nazi jerkweeds didn’t have an audience.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Shut it down?
Anyone familiar with C'ville knows how hard it is to drive anywhere in that town.
I'm still shocked they tore down the statue of Robert E Lee, a man who was against slavery.
This is appeasement like we saw in the 1930's.
How did that work out?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:33 PM
link   

charlottesville tried to deny them permits last year, they took it to court, and well, the judge decided in favor of insanity...
this year, they applied again, again charlottesville said no, again, they took it to court, only this time, they surprised everyone when kessler showed up late for court and withdrew the case..
they were all going to DC..

I wouldn't want to be in DC this weekend either.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Yeah--I remember when I was in St. Louis to do a Tough Mudder almost exactly four years ago, and it coincided with the march from Ferguson to the St. Louis Arch to do the BLM demonstration (immediately after the same people basically destroyed parts of their own town).

I was planning on hitting the Arch on the way home for some photos before I heard that they were doing that--I opted out at that point.

It's the unsuspecting families that get caught up in the mess whom I feel for the most. Luckily, most summer trips are coming to an end, so hopefully not too many people will get caught up in the stupidity unexpectedly.

I think that we're more on the same page than not on this issue.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
both the mayor of charlottesville and the gov of virginia has declared a state of emergency for this weekend...
now it's starting to sound like a matter of being extremely cautious.

thehill.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   
edit on 10-8-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ker2010

still though, can't help but ask...
why would a person living in canada (and at least one person was from canada in charlottesville last year) really care about what a city so far away chooses to have, or not have, or remove from their city park? I keep bringing this point up because I really think therein lies the problem.
if you have a gripe about how your local gov't is running things, you protest your local gov't....
a city park is mainly there for the enjoyment of the city's residents, it's there to reflect their values and beliefs....
sure, others from outside of the community can visit and enjoy them also, but again, they are only visitors, they don't have any right to force any change to that park, do they? It's a matter of what the residents hold dear to their hearts and the image they want to portray for themselves, and those visitors... if you are visiting and don't like that image, well, there's other parks in the town next door that might be more pleasing to you.

when you have a gripe about state policies, you don't go to city hall to gripe, you go to the state gov't.. so, if it's a state park you have a problem with, you petition the state gov't. but, if you don't live in that state, I question just how much right you have to try to force you will on them over what they have, or don't have, or choose to remove from their parks.

and when it comes to federal issues, you go to the federal gov't...

I fail to see the reasoning to have protests involving people living outside the city, outside the state, and even outside the country over something that a city decides to do with one of it's park!!!

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:17 PM
link   

For those who don't know this coming weekend is the anniversary of that great Unite the Right Rally that resulted in a car running through a bunch of people....

Well, now we have the city going to some extreme measures at the urging of the FBI, state, and local police. Even though the action is supposedly all gonna be DC's headaches this time. Pray or send good vibes to the city.

I live in Charlottesville and will be here at ground zero all through the weekend.

I'll report to the other members that are interested via a post here if anything "interesting" happens.

I'm hoping that those that do show up are more interested in healing wounds rather than creating new ones. We'll see...

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

I am so hoping that nothing happens??
have you heard anything about what they are expecting to happen or what they are preparing for?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join