It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China has reportedly tested a Mach 6 Waverider

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: chr0naut

Depends on what the design is for. The SR-71 which was slower was an incredible strategic asset and extremely valuable.

I would think that such a steerable delivery system with a WMD payload is, in essence, unstoppable.

Even directed energy werapons probably don't have the speed of maneuverability to track such a target.

This could start another arms race.

edit on 6/8/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

It already has.
edit on 8/6/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Seconded.

The problem is Americans (as a whole) keep thinking we're driving it. We're not. We haven't been. In fact, in many ways, we're starting after the others already have a good 50 yards on us.

The Arms Race began 6+ years ago. We just woke up.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

The Arms Race hasn't stopped for the United States since World War 2, even if it was the only one in it sometimes.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible this hypersonic vehicle is making use of a virtual aerospike like we discussed in an earlier thread?

2. Is it possible this is a relatively early test? And it's more vaporware than hardware?

3. If it's a reliable technology, how long would it take to integrate these new systems into current military tactics, deployment, and maintenance?

4. It seems to me that a Mach 6 aircraft, travelling at 7408.8 kph (4603.61 mph) has so much kinetic energy that even a small projectile could destroy it. So, rather that using directed energy weapons or intercept missiles, wouldn't a flak approach be a better defense? Sort-of like a shotgun rather than a rifle.

-dex

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I make the trip to Dulles at least a couple times a year just to spend some time with Discovery. Everything else there feels utterly irrelevant in comparison.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

And this is just the stuff they're telling us about.
edit on 7-8-2018 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Barnalby
I think its a good bet that they already have something in semi operational status. Maybe not with an really impressive performance envelope but good enough to do the job. Prompt Global Strike was a big thing a couple of years ago but has become (comparativley) quiet.

Last year the Navy had CPS FE-1 involving a Ohio SSGN firing a … test vehicle to get some data on hypersonics flight characteristics. Because thats what you do, you Risk one out of four active SSGNs to launch an experimential missile to gather flight data. Uhuh.
The Air Force has gone completely quiet but PGS UAVs will be a reality long before the *SR-72*. Probably.

So i dont think the US is far behind if at all.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

I was thinking more along the lines of all that research into antimatter weapons from 15 years ago that popped up and then just up and disappeared, but I'm a sucker for high-energy physics.
edit on 7-8-2018 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Awaiting UFO sightings in 3...2...1...

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Wrong part of the world.

Also, the UFO sightings have gone down since we have camera phones everywhere. Wonder why.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
They just adapted to the new threat environment and got funding to roll out the cloaking devices fleetwide. Do you think they are stupid? Its obvious.

edit on 8-8-2018 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   
www.bilibili.com...

Supposedly part of the test. The waverider isn't very big, if so.

www.eastpendulum.com...

These are supposedly two of the past scramjet prototypes.
edit on 8-8-2018 by anzha because: added another link.

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 05:45 AM
link   
In with the Chinese Space Agency..Thats got a lot of money behind it and good science.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2018 @ 07:57 PM
link   

www.thedrive.com...

eh?

posted on Sep, 22 2018 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Dunno, do you need the prograde acceleration from the booster to get a useful flight envelope for testing purposes? Dont think so.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join