It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia to freeze new trade with Canada, recalls ambassador

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

We might be relying more on The UK....

The UK would never turn its back on Canada....nor would our antipodean cousins I think.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: 727Sky

And this is the country that many want us to continue sucking up to and 'we' call friend?

Not a nice country...at all.
One of THE biggest sponsors and exporters of terrorism, appalling human rights record with a tyrannical absolute monarch and a state backed religion that is one of, if not the most, fundamental interpretations of Islam.
Saudi Arabia shows no intent or aspiration to ever introduce any level of democracy.

Well done Canada....I just wish our government and others had the same sized balls.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here though I do know human rights around the world to be lacking in many cases.

The social structures in many countries are far different than what we see our as version of human rights. We can talk about Saudi, but what about India with a cast system that if you are born poor you die poor being a servient your whole life...for the lucky ones. How about any number of countries that never have had women suffrage take place, and that number is quite large. Remember most of the world is the haves and the haves nots.

When I look at this I see oil more than anything else...Canada and Saudi are two of the biggest suppliers in oil...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Yes, I get all that....and to a certain extent agree with it.

But what gets me is the hypocrisy.
The democratic principle is alien to both Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Human rights abuses are common in both Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Both nations are exporters and sponsors of international terrorism.
Both nations threaten the stability of the region.

Yet we are told to be patient and tolerant of Saudi Arabia but Iran is deserving of punishment and even regime change.

Its hypocrisy of the highest order.

The most nauseous aspect of it all is that everyone is aware of the double standards. Its out there in the open, no-one tries to deny it.....yet we accept it and submit to their blatant and arrogant contradictions.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

a reply to: TonyS

What makes you think Canada would either need or want the US to defend it?

I'm almost certain Canada is more than capable of dealing with Saudi Arabia in the unlikely event they have to.

And Canada has other friends who most definitely wouldn't hesitate in assisting them if the need ever arose.

Except if someone invaded Canada then the usa would intervene even if it was not wanted.

That is what we do...

We would just site our own national security reasons for helping.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   

What a perfect way for a spy to gain sympathy on the international stage, claim to be a "womans rights activist".

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I agree that this is not a way for states to interact with one another. They are working on reforms in saudi arabia and amazing groundbreaking progress has been made, but its just not quick enough for the Candyland Progressives who think we live in some kind of a magical fairy tale where the Muslims can all change overnight. "Immediate release".

Canada has had No problems making weapons deals with SA so dont give me that "holier than thou" nonsense.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman

Does Canada want some Saudi cash? Why else are they pretending to hold the Saudis accountable for human rights violations. Its not news to them, so why suddenly profess concern?

Canada's government is retarded.

Edit to add:
Why not refuse relations until it was fixed if its a concern, you bunch of hypocrites. For years everyone kissed their ass.

Maybe your culture isnt compatable....and you pretending that your intellectual side or your altruistic side is so great and powerful that it can compensate for REALITY, is just arrogant and worthy of failure.

Chrystia Freeland and her band of Social Justice warriors have annoyed various countries such as China, the Phillipines ,Japan and Australia with their progressive agenda. It is probably the reason we are not at the NAFTA negotiations right now. It is her tweet that caused this falling out with Saudi.
Yet we are taking in an unending amount of irregular border crossers and turning ourselves into a pretzel to accommodate and protect their cultures. Compatible or not.
The hypoc

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

What a perfect way for a spy to gain sympathy on the international stage, claim to be a "womans rights activist".

Yes,our faux feminist connIving his way into the UN

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Yea, I dunno though.........the UK would have to send its troops to Canada by sea and take on the Saudi Navy!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Canada may want to be careful Saudi Arabia has a bigger military. But Canada never had to spend alot on its military since it relies on the United States to defend it.

armedforces.eu...

Now on a more serious note Canada better get to negotiating or they will have gas shortages. Im very glad that the US can't be controlled by the Saudis since we export more to them than we receive from them. And we have the capacity to illeminate oil shipments if needed. The US dependency in the past to OPEC has made for some very bad decisions.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
We should drop the bomb on Saudi Arabia. Who cares if the oil is a little radioactive?

Nuke the entire middle east while we're at it. Would solve a lot of problems.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Reforms in Saudi aren't progressing as quick as some think.

www.theatlantic.com...

Mohammed bin Salman seems a bit erratic and I'm sure he must have alienated some of the old guard and the Wahhabi's with his proposed reforms and unpredictability.

He has also clamped down on critics and human rights activists - arrests and detentions have increased.

As MbS star continues to rise so do his screw up's - the cause of the Saudi - Lebanon crisis being the prime example.

We think our politics are complex; they have nothing on Saudi Arabia or Iran.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

www.un.org...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

And Canada has other friends who most definitely wouldn't hesitate in assisting them if the need ever arose.

Isn't Canada a member of NATO?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

A wonderful piece of work.
Shame not even a small percentage of the thirty articles itemised are a reality.

Something to work towards, maybe....but definitely a work in progress.

And I don't think there is anything legally binding about it.

ETA

Oh, and what about your apparent right to act against someone who MIGHT be a threat....anything to support that?

edit on 6/8/18 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Isn't Canada a member of NATO?

Yes, but it appears that's irrelevant....since when did long standing agreements count for anything?
Besides which, I bet they haven't been paying their fair share!

Still, there's those that still know that blood is thicker than water and that the ties that bind count for far, far more than pounds, shillings and pence!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   
As linked to in another ATS thread.

uk.businessinsider.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

They got away with it once....have they got the nerve to do it again.

And even if they have no intentions it's a good measure of their insensitivity and lack of compassion.

And still our governments suck up to them.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

Yes, I get all that....and to a certain extent agree with it.

But what gets me is the hypocrisy.
The democratic principle is alien to both Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Human rights abuses are common in both Iran and Saudi Arabia.
Both nations are exporters and sponsors of international terrorism.
Both nations threaten the stability of the region.

Yet we are told to be patient and tolerant of Saudi Arabia but Iran is deserving of punishment and even regime change.

Its hypocrisy of the highest order.

The most nauseous aspect of it all is that everyone is aware of the double standards. Its out there in the open, no-one tries to deny it.....yet we accept it and submit to their blatant and arrogant contradictions.

Only one of them threatens the full destruction of Israel though, and that is key here. I also think Iran is at the different level than the Saudis when it comes to terrorism.

The bottom line is we have two choices ignore it all as in ignore the world in most cases or work with what we have. If all you get dealt is a pair of 2s then that is what your got.

edit on 6-8-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Now on a more serious note Canada better get to negotiating or they will have gas shortages.

Why is that?

You do know that Canada supplies the US about 40% of our oil and Saudis supplies about 8%, so how are they going to have a shortage when they are all about oil...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join