It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia to freeze new trade with Canada, recalls ambassador

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 01:53 AM
link   
As far as I am concerned other countries should call out Saudi Arabia about their disgraceful human rights and treatment of women. Evidently Canada struck a nerve in the kingdom of sand and oil when Ottawa called for release of jailed civil rights activists. WTG Canada !

Saudi Arabia said on Sunday that it is ordering Canada's ambassador to leave the country and freezing all new trade and investment transactions with Canada in a spat over human rights.

"We consider the Canadian ambassador to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia persona non grata and order him to leave within the next 24 hours," Saudi Arabia's foreign ministry said on Twitter.

24 hours !! That will actually be a hard thing for an ambassador to do IMO. Saudi has also recalled their ambassador form Canada.... At least Canada's ambassador gets to leave without 1000 lashes and 10 years in a Saudi prison unlike civil rights activist for criticizing a cleric or asking for women's rights. ..

"Canada is gravely concerned about additional arrests of civil society and women's rights activists in Saudi Arabia, including Samar Badawi. We urge the Saudi authorities to immediately release them and all other peaceful human rights activists," the Canadian tweet said.
'Unfortunate, reprehensible, and unacceptable'

The Saudi foreign ministry called the use of "immediately release" in Canada's tweet "unfortunate, reprehensible, and unacceptable in relations between states."

It dismissed Canada's characterization of the activists as "an incorrect claim" and said Canada's attitude was "surprising."

www.cbc.ca...
www.cbc.ca...

Saudi Arabia arrests sister of imprisoned blogger Raif Badawi
The sister of jailed Saudi blogger Raif Badawi has been arrested by authorities in that country, Amnesty International said Wednesday.

Samar Badawi, a prominent women's rights advocate, was arrested earlier this week, according to the rights group.

Her brother has been in a Saudi jail since 2012 for his criticism of the regime. He was lashed 50 times in 2015.

edit on 727thk18 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Sorry to bring Trump into this but I'm genuinely interested to hear how he responds to this if he hasn't already.

Saudi Arabia seemingly being Americas front line in the middle east, this could get interesting...

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:25 AM
link   

And this is the country that many want us to continue sucking up to and 'we' call friend?

Not a nice country...at all.
One of THE biggest sponsors and exporters of terrorism, appalling human rights record with a tyrannical absolute monarch and a state backed religion that is one of, if not the most, fundamental interpretations of Islam.
Saudi Arabia shows no intent or aspiration to ever introduce any level of democracy.

Well done Canada....I just wish our government and others had the same sized balls.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
So Canada sells

"multi-billion dollar arms sale to Saudi Arabia includes a substantial number of "heavy assault" armoured vehicles and a maintenance deal that would see the Ontario-based manufacturer embed teams at multiple locations throughout the kingdom."

And buys up Saudi oil to be refined in New Brunswick. Wait for Trudeau to deal with anything that impacts Eastern Canada as it won't happen.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:50 AM
link   
I would have preferred we invaded Saudi Arabia over iraq and Afghanistan.
Canada doesn't need anything from that country!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Credit where credit is due.

Good for Canada!!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Sorry to bring Trump into this but I'm genuinely interested to hear how he responds to this if he hasn't already.

Saudi Arabia seemingly being Americas front line in the middle east, this could get interesting...

Why? Is he the President of Canada?
No?
Then it has nothing to do with Trump.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Why? Is he the President of Canada?
No?
Then it has nothing to do with Trump.

Trump is train wreck, does it bother you that I find his rhetoric entertaining?

Also surely after the time you've been here you understand that Canada is an ally and so is Saudi Arabia, the difference being Saudi Arabia is like a knight or even a bishop in the enemy territory....

edit on 6-8-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Slickinfinity

Except we imported 73,000 bpd in 2014, to 84,000 bpd in 2015 and close to 87,000 bpd in 2016 from Saudi Arabia

OPEC supplied just under 33 per cent of oil to Canada last year, from around 26 per cent in 2015, NEB data shows.
But let's not approve Energy East, a pipeline to Eastern Canada. Honestly Canada is its own worst enemy

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: fernalley

We are our own worst enemy and hypocrisy runs our country,like most.

If we want to talk human rights abuses,look no further than the natives here.
Its nice to call people out on abuses but if we live in a glass house,we shouldn't be throwing stones until our own house is in order.

Oh Canada,lets ignore our own abuses.

It dismissed Canada's characterization of the activists as "an incorrect claim" and said Canada's attitude was "surprising."

It should be considering what Canada has done to the natives.
I also remember the G7 and how protestors were dealt with.

I think we should clean up our own yard before telling others to clean theirs.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Does Canada want some Saudi cash? Why else are they pretending to hold the Saudis accountable for human rights violations. Its not news to them, so why suddenly profess concern?

Canada's government is retarded.

Edit to add:
Why not refuse relations until it was fixed if its a concern, you bunch of hypocrites. For years everyone kissed their ass.

Maybe your culture isnt compatable....and you pretending that your intellectual side or your altruistic side is so great and powerful that it can compensate for REALITY, is just arrogant and worthy of failure.

edit on 8 6 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Canada might want to focus on their own problems and quit sending activists to start sh*t then cry about them getting arrested. Ole Justin Trudeau is really running a sh*tshow up there.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Although I support rights for women, Saudi Arabia has the right to make up their own rules governing women's rights. I actually am seeing them slowly getting better recently, we should not push them too fast. Women can now drive in Saudi Arabia, that is a big benefit to them.

It is their country and their religion, We must keep hinting to them to relax their strict policies but we should not shove it down their throat or condemn them for their religious policies.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Do you recommend a similar level of tolerance for Iran?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Do you recommend a similar level of tolerance for Iran?

We have the right to act against a country that might be a future threat against us or our allies but Iran should have the right to deal with their people. World wide there are inalienable rights given to people. Those rights are basic rights. There are policies that govern those, things have to be done correctly in international courts.

In the case of Iran, we do have to respect their choices but we have to consider threat to the region.
edit on 6-8-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Saudi Arabia has been / still is responsible for exporting and sponsoring far more terrorism than Iran ever has.
Saudi Arabia has at least as poor a record on human rights as Iran, probably worse.

We have the right to act against a country that might be a future threat against us or our allies......

Might be a threat?

Is it a self-appointed right as I'm totally unaware of any legal or even moral right.

..... but Iran should have the right to deal with their people.

Yet there are so many that would have the US attack Iran and impose a regime on them that is more in line with US thinking.

World wide there are inalienable rights given to people. Those rights are basic rights. There are policies that govern those, things have to be done correctly in international courts.

Are there?
Exactly what are these 'inalienable rights'?

In the case of Iran, we do have to respect their choices.....

Fair enough.

...... but we have to consider threat to the region.

Is the threat they pose any different from that which Saudi Arabia poses?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Looks like Canada bit off more than they can chew.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

So my question.................does the US have some defense alliance with Canada? What happens if Saudi Arabia declares war on Canada? Does the US have to defend Canada?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

What makes you think Canada would either need or want the US to defend it?

I'm almost certain Canada is more than capable of dealing with Saudi Arabia in the unlikely event they have to.

And Canada has other friends who most definitely wouldn't hesitate in assisting them if the need ever arose.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

So my question.................does the US have some defense alliance with Canada? What happens if Saudi Arabia declares war on Canada? Does the US have to defend Canada?

OTTAWA - Current U.S. policy directs the American military not to defend Canada if it is targeted in a ballistic missile attack, says the top Canadian officer at the North American Aerospace Defence Command.
"We're being told in Colorado Springs that the extant U.S. policy is not to defend Canada," said Lt.-Gen. Pierre St-Amand, deputy commander of Colorado-based Norad.
"That is the policy that's stated to us. So that's the fact that I can bring to the table."

www.ctvnews.ca...

The article was written to do with North Korea, but applies to anyone who might attack.

The general did acknowledge that U.S. officials could ultimately decide to intervene if a missile was heading toward Canada, but that the decision would likely be made in "the heat of the moment."
St-Amand's comments appeared to confirm the worst fears of many people who believe it is time for Canada to join the U.S. ballistic missile defence shield.

We might be relying more on The UK....

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join