It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump acknowledges purpose of meeting with Russian lawyer

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmickat

The members of Hillary Clinton's campaign team, who are responsible for obtaining the false Trump dossier, aren't serving the maxim possible prison sentence, or facing any kind of legal prosecution at all. Clearly, this eventuality wouldn't occured, if that kind of sound legal standard was applied by the FBI and Department of Justice.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Sure there was. All those emails given to wiki leaks to slander Clinton.
The move that gave him the presidency.
That's a pretty big contribution.
A contribution isn't necessarily money.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

And set up by the DNC? Now you're just making crap up.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Glad you think it's funny. It will be really hilarious when junior is indicted won't it? That will be the funniest yet.
edit on 862018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

No it was discovered when his emails were turned over to investigators.
He didn't give this up voluntarily.
The meeting was a secret...until it wasn't.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

All sides in this story are liars. Trumps whole family and his whole campaign and the Russians who attended. Liars every one.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Yes it is. Where are you getting that it's not?
Information is the valuable item exchanged for what ever actions they wanted like repealing the Magnitsky act.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   

You should stick with the laws of your own country since you know NOTHING about ours.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:10 AM
link   

No it's not conjecture. Conjecture is you claiming there was nothing given so it's okay. Conjecture is saying it wasn't illegal even if they did.
There is no conjecture in that the secret meeting took place. IT DID...
It's not conjecture that Russians arranged the meeting and trumps team agreed to it. THEY DID...
It's not conjecture that Russian adoptions was a subject which leads directly to the Magnitsky act. A pet appeal of Nadia Vesselnitskya who had made her appeal known throughout Washington. IT WAS...
So good buddy just where is my conjecture when compared to yours?
Huh?

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Do you really believe the Clinton campaign would make a rookie mistake like that? She's been in politics her whole life. She's a lawyer. She's not going to make stupid mistakes like that.
It's just one more stupid ignorant conspiracy theory that are pandemic around here.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: xpert11

The members of Hillary Clinton's campaign team, who are responsible for obtaining the false Trump dossier, aren't serving the maxim possible prison sentence, or facing any kind of legal prosecution at all. Clearly, this eventuality wouldn't occured, if that kind of sound legal standard was applied by the FBI and Department of Justice.

I thought this was about Trump.
HRC wasn't mentioned in the thread title

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

If the dossier is false then it really doesn't matter does it? No information was given right?
If no information was given there is no contribution right? You can't have it both ways you know.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: alphabetaone

you seem to be confused. The meeting took place, and all sides say that nothing was exchanged. So what gift was given?

A gift exchange is NOT the point. Everything about the meeting was illegal: the event itself, the purpose, the discussion, the participants.

FIRST: unauthorized communication with foreign governments IS ILLEGAL: 18 U.S. Code § 953.

There is nothing in that law about any exchange (other than "communication"). The Constitution assigns the function of negotiations to the President, and 18 U.S. Code § 953 implements that provision as law.

Donald Trump Jr. not an authorized agent of the President of the United States when this meeting took place. DTJr has admitted under oath that the discussion was more about the Magnitsky Act sanctions against Russian oligarchs and the tit-for-tat sanctions Russia put on child adoptions by Americans.

The possible penalty for violating this law is 3 years in federal prison.

SECOND: a foreign national, donating anything of value to a Federal, State, or Local campaign IS ILLEGAL: 52 USC 30121: Contributions and donations by foreign nationals

As you say, it does not appear that anything of value was exchanged during the meeting; the Russians were not forthcoming with whatever 'dirt' they claimed they had in order to lure DTJr into the meeting. But notice that the law specifically says that

(a) Prohibition It shall be unlawful for—
(1) a foreign national, directly or indirectly, to make—
(A) a contribution or donation of money or other thing of value, or to make an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation, in connection with a Federal, State, or local election;

Notice that part that forbids "an express or implied promise to make a contribution or donation". And the law also forbids "an expenditure, independent expenditure, or disbursement for an electioneering communication" by the foreign nationals. So what was agreed during the meeting? We know that Trump publicly called for Russia to attack the DNC servers and steal the eMails. We also know that Russians made unprecedented volumes of 'electioneering communication" in Trumps favor.

THIRD: soliciting, accepting, or receiving anything of value for a Federal, State, or Local campaign IS ILLEGAL (again according to 52 USC 30121), and DTJr most definitely went in to that meeting asking for opposition research 'dirt' from representatives of a foreign government. The law doesn't say he had to actually receive something, it just says if he asks for it, he has broken the law.

FINALLY: According to 18 U.S. Code § 371 - Conspiracy to commit offense or to defraud United States conspiracy to violate federal law, including the election law 52 USC 30121, is itself a violation of Federal law which can draw a 5 year term in federal prison.

The actuality of the meeting and the publicly acknowledged reason and topic of the meeting are prima facie evidence of a conspiracy to violate federal law.

DTJr is in DEEP DO-DO and he better start cooperating, pronto.
edit on 6/8/2018 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

The key difference being that robbing a bank is illegal and getting information about a political opponent from a foreigner is not.

WRONG! Please stop repeating this lie.

52 U.S. Code § 30121 EXPLICITLY says that it is ILLEGAL to get ANYTHING OF VALUE from a foreign national. Opposition research is definitely 'something of value'.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 07:43 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I am debating the application of the legal standard mentioned in your previous post. It isn't difficult to see the law isn't applied in the manner to the Hillary Clinton campaign. This kind of debate comes back to the principal of one law for all no matter their status in society. I don't wish to go into any depth on Hillary Clinton beyond this point as it relates to the topic.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: xpert11

If the dossier is false then it really doesn't matter does it? No information was given right?
If no information was given there is no contribution right? You can't have it both ways you know.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

A totally rubbish argument. The false dossier was a contributor to the election campaign. Hence, I am tackling the logic of those who argue Trump Jr's actions are ill-legal. If no intent or outcome is required for his actions to violated the law, how is it members of the Clinton campaign are not in a world of legal trouble?

How can I explain my argument better? The worst of Trump's detractors either argue that a unproven or non existent crime occurred, or equality under the law shouldn't exist when their presidential candidate loses an election.

If sufficient evidence existed of a crime, don't you find it strange that Trump Jr isn't on trial? The fact the "justice pyramid" I mentioned previously hasn't caught up with Trump and his son; is why I suspect there won't be any further criminal chargers.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
It was a poorly executed set up.
www.cbsnews.com...

Why did Obama's DOJ let Natalia Veselnitskaya into U.S.?

On January 6, 2016, Judge Thomas P. Griesa of the Southern District of New York heard arguments over Veselnitskaya's request to remain in the U.S. According to a court transcript, he asked the government's attorney, Paul Monteleoni, if the Justice Department would agree to grant a one-week extension of Veselnitskaya's immigration parole status. Monteleoni replied that he did not "have the final say but I will certainly pass the request along to those in the government who do, and I think for an extension of that length I'm optimistic."

To think that the IC was monitoring trump tower at the time and not this "foreign agent" is laughable.

thehill.com...

This revelation means it was the Obama Justice Department that enabled the newest and most intriguing figure in the Russia-Trump investigation to enter the country without a visa.

The Moscow lawyer had been turned down for a visa to enter the U.S. lawfully but then was granted special immigration parole by then-Attorney General Loretta Lynch for the limited purpose of helping a company owned by Russian businessman Denis Katsyv, her client, defend itself against a Justice Department asset forfeiture case in federal court in New York City.

“In October the government bypassed the normal visa process and gave a type of extraordinary permission to enter the country called immigration parole,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul Monteleoni explained to the judge during a hearing on Jan. 6, 2016. “That's a discretionary act that the statute allows the attorney general to do in extraordinary circumstances. In this case, we did that so that Mr. Katsyv could testify. And we made the further accommodation of allowing his Russian lawyer into the country to assist,” he added.

The U.S. Attorney’s office in New York confirmed Wednesday to The Hill that it let Veselnitskaya into the country on a grant of immigration parole from October 2015 to early January 2016.

By all means keep kicking this hornets nest, as more people from the former administration will fall out.

www.cnsnews.com...

Fusion GPS’ Glenn Simpson Dined With Russian Lawyer Before & After Her Meeting at Trump Tower

A little later, the committee staff attorney told Simpson, "You mentioned you had dinner with Ms. Veselnitskaya on June 8th and 10th of 2016. Were you generally aware of her trip to the United States in June?" Simpson said he was aware of it, because "there was some drama over whether she could get a visa" to attend an appellate court hearing in New York on June 9.

www.washingtontimes.com...

At the time, Ms. Veselnitskaya was paying Mr. Simpson, via the law firm Baker Hostetler, to do investigative work for her client, Prevezon Holdings. The Justice Department in 2017 would announce that Prevezon laundered stolen Russian tax dollars and was paying back nearly $6 million.

www.nbcnews.com...

WASHINGTON — The information that a Russian lawyer brought with her when she met Donald Trump Jr. in June 2016 stemmed from research conducted by Fusion GPS, the same firm that compiled the infamous Trump dossier, according to the lawyer and a source familiar with the matter.

In an interview with NBC News, Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya says she first received the supposedly incriminating information she brought to Trump Tower — describing alleged tax evasion and donations to Democrats — from Glenn Simpson, the Fusion GPS owner, who had been hired to conduct research in a New York federal court case.

www.nytimes.com...

Mr. Simpson was in court with Ms. Veselnitskaya hours before the Trump Tower meeting and saw her again shortly after it, his lawyer, Joshua A. Levy, confirmed. But these contacts were related to Mr. Simpson’s work on the case for BakerHostetler, Mr. Levy said, and Fusion only learned about the Trump Tower meeting in news reports last year.

yeah not a set up at all.......
edit on 6/8/2018 by shooterbrody because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Alien Abduct

What conspiracy theory? I am going by trump TWEETS! His story has changed, how many times? It's all right there on Twitter!

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
If Trump is to be charged then certainly Clinton, and many in our in intelligence and law enforcement beaurcracies should be charged as well.

If Trump colluded, illegally, with Russia because his son met with a Russian diplomat for dirt then Clinton working with Russia to come up with the dossier is the same thing, except worse in magnitude because the Clinton collusion lead to the removal of privacy rights of several American citizens; where as the Trump Jr. meeting went nowhere.

We should have a special investigator looking into both scenarios, but we don't and as a result the faith in the process should be absent from anyone looking for real truth and justice.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Your opinion has already become irrelevant here.

You might wanna start a new account?

Maybe I'll take a look at your biased comments.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join