It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This song, is for the dead.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I hate the things that once were full of joy. I have lost everything in that place, under the greyest of grey skies. And it is sunday. I really dislike sunday. The backside of a saturday, and the creeping, inevitable tendrils of a monday.

This song, is not for the living...

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

I remember losing another left handed bassist.. paul.
Thought I was to old for anyone to apreciate Slipknot.

Good stuff 🤗

Always follow through.

You have to be alive to apreciate this.
edit on 4-8-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

When I first heard slipknot, I had no idea what the hell I was listening to. They were still unknown, but made it to Perth here, which no main stream band ever does. Went to the gig, and all I remember is an atrocious ruckus, everyone throwing empty glasses at the stage and the clown popping out mockingly masturbating at the crowd lmao.

Didn't have a clue what it was all about, but got the CD anyway, and once I heard what it was I had not heard, I was blown away. Corey has an amazing voice. He can even sing Spongebob squarepants and make it sound groovy. lol

Been a few of their tunes that have hit me in the earhole. But this.. thing.. played to me today as I walked home, an overcast, solemn day. It felt miserable, bleak... lonely. And this painted a scene that changed everything. That, and it has some saucy chicks in it, which never hurts the eye.

I think we lost someone who could turn air into bliss, when we lost Cliff Burton. That guy was a magician. Playing bass for the gods now, spliff in one hand, pint in the other, I'm sure. Still noodling away. Hope I have a ticket when I get there...

Doubt it, I'll be the bum stuck outside the front door, headbanging in the rain, stepping over ciggy butts and smelling the wind carry the scent of old trees and distant things.

My ex gets married on the 15'th of sep. cannot walk with broken feet... cannot love with a broken heart. and my damn candles keep burning out. I may not be a butcher, nor a baker... but I can still melt wax, damn it !!!

Slainte.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Corey Taylor also is from Stone Sour too..
Try these lyrics:

Can you tell me how far I've come?
(And can you tell me where I've been?)
Never stopped, knew I should've run but now I
(Don't remember where I am)
All my life I've been holding back,
consider this my last request
(I never paid for all my sins)
Open up the sun and burn my eyes
Open up your arms and save my life
I know I'll never go home again
I need a little more, I will take what I can get
I promise you everything, everything,
Just don't forget me in the end
Right in front of my face
(And in between the little voice)
This was something I couldn't have
(That just made me want it more)
Now I know the reason I was built like this,
Now I know why I am here
(I'm here for you)
Open up the sun and burn my eyes
Open up your arms and save my life
I know…

My ex gets married on the 15'th of sep. cannot walk with broken feet... cannot love with a broken heart. and my damn candles keep burning out. I may not be a butcher, nor a baker... but I can still melt wax, damn it !!! 

Never married.
Engaged 4 times..
When the epiphany hits you.

Got a feeling you have a great life in front of you..🤗

Edit: Megadeth rules!

edit on 5-8-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Thank you, my friend, for walking with me this afternoon.

The rain falls down, washing away my footsteps. But it is no less a travelled path, with good company. My arm needed a guide today. the strength to lift up. I won't forget that it was your shoulder that helped me find that shining sunlight, and eased the cold skies back to warmth.

Megadeth... I am happy that they kicked Dave out of Lars money grabbing band. we'd not have gems like this, otherwise.

If you have a drink, raise it up as I raise my glass. If you don't, I'll raise my glass high and drink with you regardless.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Saw the thread title, immediately thought of classic Queens of the Stone Age, "A Song For the Dead"...

BTW, don't mind Slipknot either(early stuff)and as for Megadeth, I give u the masterpiece that is "Mary Jane"....

edit on 5-8-2018 by Osirisvset because: Clarity

edit on 5-8-2018 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Osirisvset
Saw the thread title, immediately thought of classic Queens of the Stone Age, "A Song For the Dead"...

I have never heard this before. That's some groovy stuff.
fitting for a cold soul to warm by. tickles within the pauses. haha Damn I'm too old to be digging new music, that's not fair haha..

Cheers man, this old pooch wags his ear bones.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Never married.
Engaged 4 times..
When the epiphany hits you.

Got a feeling you have a great life in front of you..🤗

Never married either. Engaged twice. was not meant to be. I don't own a harley you see. she rides now, but for me it is like having lost a loved one, but without be able to grieve, instead, watching the life we planned, unfold in the arms of another man. chapters written, story told, but I don't get to finish this lifes book. Ahh well.

I would wish a good life to others. A mere catalyst, a lighthouse to warn others from dangerous shores, we need ear marks as much as we need safe travels. My lot is simply not meant to play along, but to be that dim light that alerts others of danger. I am the flame moths refuse to ignore.

Did I mention I really dont get along with sundays? lol

thank you guys, the creeping understanding that tomorrow always comes, is more there than before. tell me why I don't like mondays...

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: SummerRain

originally posted by: Osirisvset

I have never heard this before. That's some groovy stuff.
fitting for a cold soul to warm by. tickles within the pauses. haha Damn I'm too old to be digging new music, that's not fair haha..

Cheers man, this old pooch wags his ear bones.

Awesome! As i get older it gets harder and harder to find music that excites me like it used to so I totally get where you're at.

Nothing better than when u do find it though!!

To me Josh Homme from Queen's Of The Stone Age(QOTSA for short)is one of those ultra rare species of songwriter that just can't write a bad song, hes physically incapable of not bringing the groove, its in his DNA!
Check out the " Songs For The Deaf" album, its bloody amazing, not a dud on there. Dave Grohl plays drums on it.
Here's another gem(one of the best video clips in existence IMO, totally makes the song)....

"I want something good to die for,
To make it beautiful to live..."

And from earlier album Rated R, its "The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret"(try and sit still through this one lol, impossible!)

edit on 5-8-2018 by Osirisvset because: Fix link

edit on 5-8-2018 by Osirisvset because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
And the rain will kill us all,
Throw ourselves against the wall
But no one else can see,
The preservation of the martyr in me

Corey Taylor is my musical idol. So many different levels to his madness.
I still tune one of my guitars WaY down to drop A to play Slipknot tunes.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Corey Taylor also is from Stone Sour too..

Why doesn't Jim Root not get any love?

Secondly this is the tune I want played at my funeral...

edit on 5-8-2018 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I love Slipknot, been listening to them since their first album, same with Stonesour! ,,/

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Disagree. Contrary to the lyrics, I think this song is totally for the living. It says to me (amidst the burning of the bones) "get up and try again, wanker". I love the bagpipe-like noises in the background. Not real bagpipes, is my guess, but I like it.

Now. Since this is Chit-chat, let's talk about you.
) What's wrong with a sleepy, gentle Sunday?

I have lost everything in that place, under the greyest of grey skies.
Beautiful prose.

What's up, friend? If you care to share.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Hrmm, I can't seem to get quoted text..

Ahh Sundays have always been bleak to me. I don't know why, but the day carries something that feels empty, hollow. The early hours of the morning seem to grip me.

Get up and try again! I need to do that I think. I'm messing up new opportunities with unknown fear, but at least I now have no fear of something that for over a year was playing on my mind, doctors results for that came back not as something terrible, just wildly typical.. lol. Ahhh but still waiting on other results, blood tests. The prognosis was not good last time, but emerging from a darkness of mind has denied me the strength to refrain from old habits. I so need to get out of this funk.

I look behind me, I see a trail of pain and hurt, caused to and by myself, I should be happy that someone else will be building a life together, even if it feels like death. I look ahead of me, and am hoping I see something worthy.

I tend to mope I guess. And having once been able to navigate the meandering pathways of my thoughts with strength, to feel they are ebbing towards darkness over and over, kinda sucks a little bit.

Such is life

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I like the person I am. Much pain and anger, injury and sorrow had to take place to get me here, brick by brick. I wouldn't take away a single one of those things, because without them, I would be somewhere else. I wish the same for you -- a reson for your being.

If there is anything that cuts deeper than regret, I don't know what it is. I don't want to ever again say to myself, "I wish I had........". I'm much happier about my failures than I am about the times I was afraid to fail.

I hope that helps. I don't mean to imply that I'm perfect, because NOTHING could be further from the truth. I am not normal (whatever the hell that means). I am happy and satisfied, and dedicated to keeping my sense of humor and sense of wonder.

My Grandmother used to say, "look back fondly, but don't stare." Laura Riding and Robert Graves are both credited with the phrase, "The future ain't what it used to be."

Times are changing, and the world appears unstable, and we all feel it, all of us. Toss in health problems and some intelligent introspection and it's easy to understand your funk.

Don't give up. Ever. Never let the #ers (whomever they are) silence you or your creativity or expression of self.

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Thank you, my friend.

Very wise words.

I do think I am over the worst of it. Though was told today a biopsy is needed. And blood test results back next week. But I recently discovered a truth about the inevitably of it all. That finality, the welcome mat to what is next, holds no fear when I will stand in that short hallway between doors, when inevitably the time does come, as it will for us all. A strang thing to personally learn. But a very welcome one for me at a time I needed it.

Tired of hospitals though, hey.. don't fancy staying in one. But moping and staring at the past is futility defined.

A past can never be altered. And a future is always uncertain. The right now, this single moment is all that matters.

good talk, brother!

posted on Aug, 10 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

We're not done, not yet. I want you to know that I've learned some things from you. I hope that has gone both ways.

I'm going to be watching you, and watching out for you. You're not alone.

I was thinking this morning that I don't believe that a day has gone the way I planned it in the entire 23 years since my Bride and me moved to the Caribbean. That has taught me flexibility and adaptability. Now, it is part of my life, and my awareness -- the constant that: things change constantly and you cannot always affect those changes, but you can adapt to them at an ever-increasing speed. If I were forced to express it as a mathematical formula it might be: ∞ = â–².

This is just you and me spitballin'. I can't imagine the gloom of ongoing hospitals. The time that I've spent in them has been enough to wear me down and pray to God that I never have to do that again.

A cheery thought: My Dad was fond of saying: "Keep yer Goddamn chin up, kid................. It makes a better target."

At first I thought that was mean, but then I later grew to understand that was Dad's way of saying, "Bring it on," or "Give me your BEST shot, life!". Dad is still alive, and a tough ol' bastard he is. I think you're tough too. Probably tougher than me, not that it matters.

Be safe brother

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 05:09 AM
link   

I hadn't looked back to this thread in a while, with things being as they are, just most hit and run posts.. which I often think of as lame. Guilty as charged..

Your dads words are actually well received at this time, here! It is one thing about my life I have realised. That being there we are targets, no matter what. Dealing with it, is what creates our outcome. Not necessarily good nor bad, but one that defines us yet..

Funny to think, we are born without a person. We are born into one, one that over the years is layered with so many little attachments, that in time, it becomes our persona. our personality. When we leave, we lose those layers, and return to that from which we came. a single 'I' that the layers covered for all those years.. but it is without those attachments, that we are.

And this to me, means that every moment of every day is best met with the best of intentions. Comforting others, when you can. being good for others, not for yourself with others to see.

My fear was losing everything I strived for. Now it is not giving enough to those around me. One I had no control over, the other I most certainly do

And yes brother, I did learn something from your posts. I learnt that you are an honest soul, and our simple stories will be part of that shared knowing, in that void (I say void, but it is just something beyond comprehension, at least for me) with everything else there.

We are bulbs being illuminated by life. the current, however, always flows.

new topics

top topics

join