It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police confronted for planting bait car full of Nikes in the Ghetto

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

So... the alternative?
We should just go ahead and let them steal?
How is that every going to make things better?

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

You dont know if they targeted that area due to the income level or the crime rate. I'd assume the latter as that's what logic would dictate.

But then again, that wouldn't generate much needed outrage and further racial division.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: MisterSpock

Olives. Probably.

Hey thats racist!

Oh wait, he was white, nevermind.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Antipathy17

But if you’re wondering why I believe it is relevant is because they also allegedly put it close by to where they were playing basketball.

It wasn’t necessarily because black people like Nikes but because people who play basketball like Nike’s, They just also happen to be black.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

I was just saying,, thereabouts, thats those two rates are more likely to go hand in hand.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

That's a good reason to attempt to cut down the crime rate.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

My point is encouraging people to steal is the same as entrapment as far as I'm concerned.

Now imagine going down to a hippy jam festival, putting a big bowl of rolled doobies out there, and when hippies inevitably go and grab one you come down on them with the full weight of the Police State.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

But will it? Is this a new tactic?

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

That's a good reason to attempt to cut down the crime rate.

By tempting poor ghetto people to do what they're more likely to do?

Have you even been poor? The mud on the ground looks different from up in ivory towers / gated communities / etc.

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Leaving something out in the open is not "encouraging" someone to steal.
An honest person would not have touched it.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Thankfully, as far as your concerned isn't the actual law.

"Encouraging people to steal", people are responsible for their own actions.

They aren't putting food out in an open square where there are people starving. THAT would be encouraging people to steal and I'd find that to be completely predatory if they charged people. Though it would still be illegal, theft is. But let's not make this sound like that type of scenario.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

My point is encouraging people to steal is the same as entrapment as far as I'm concerned.

Now imagine going down to a hippy jam festival, putting a big bowl of rolled doobies out there, and when hippies inevitably go and grab one you come down on them with the full weight of the Police State.

Different scenarios.
The OP is theft by taking
Your scenario is possession of a controlled substance.
Neither is entrapment.

link   
This reminds me when I used to live in Aurora Indiana, a small town that was actually pretty expensive to live, considering a very few wealthy but mostly working class people. If there was a “projects”, I certainly missed it in the 6 years I resided there. Anyway, I noticed a random bicycle laying down on the sidewalk a few houses down from me. The Ohio River was directly across the street so it would sometimes be a busy place. I saw the bike when pulling in my driveway, went to leave again within an hour and a couple cops was arresting a man right where the bike was. Didn’t think anything of it till I saw a second person getting arrested in the same location, same bike, later that day. A couple days later my boyfriend and I was walking home from a nearby bar, got right in front of my house and there’s the damn bike! My boyfriend (who’s an advet bicyclists) goes to look at it and touches it and says “nice bike, man that’s a BMW!” I filled him in and yelled at him not to touch the damn thing! Bait Bike. Oh and not just theft, Grand Theft due to the value of the bike! So my point is, is it wrong for law enforcement to set up bait in the projects? Yes, absolutely! Is it wrong for law enforcement to set up bait in the working class? Yes, absolutely! All I’m saying is, if that bike was to sit in front of our house more than a day, and we wasn’t aware of it being a bait bike, my boyfriend would have taken that damn bike!

link   
a reply to: Phage

Its sort of like precog crime prevention, we'll go set them up with an irresistible thing to snatch, bust them, drag them thru the criminal justice system and maybe, just maybe they'll learn their lesson not to become crooks...

Or maybe they'll go to jail, get criminalized by hardened criminals, and come out of jail ready to go for some real 'jobs' (robberies).

This sounds like the dark side of self fulfilling prophecies to me.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   

So, because young men have strong urges, it is all the girls fault if they are alone with the guy and the guy does something against their wishes...?
Because something the guy wants should not have been left there in front of them, because then they can't help themselves?

And what in the WORLD makes you think that I have never been poor? Far, far, from the truth. Have you ever been a widow raising children on your own?

link   
This is starting to remind me of that Walmart thread where the machine was spitting out too much cash.

link   
People making excuses for criminals is part of the problem with society.

Crime pays in today's world.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gamer2343

My comments weren't directed at you. They were directed at anyone who believes this is racial.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: hunterTheory

If your boyfriend had taken the bike, he would have deserved to be arrested. Stealing is a crime.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
A while back , the New York (?) Police Department sent out notification to a lot of folks they had won free tickets to the Yankees game. To claim their tickets , they had to come to the stadium.
The catch - the folk they sent the notifications to all had outstanding warrants.
A large chunk of the police force were there arresting em.
Entrapment or an effective way of arresting the bad guys ?

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join