It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police confronted for planting bait car full of Nikes in the Ghetto

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: gamer2343

All the people coming to my neighborhood to steal from cars are coming from .. you guessed it, the poor ghetto neighborhood next to where all the kids are playing basketball.

Maybe if they didn't steal the cops wouldn't go there to catch thieves.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs
a reply to: spacedoubt

A baited truck can sometimes lead to the convictions of those who fence and move the stolen property. Amazng what someone will say to not go to jail.

But wouldn’t anyone who fences or moves stolen property already know what a bait truck is.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

They aren't the ones stealing. You catch the thieves and they give up the fence in exchange for a reduced sentence.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

All the people coming to my neighborhood to steal from cars are coming from .. you guessed it, the poor ghetto neighborhood next to where all the kids are playing basketball.

Maybe if they didn't steal the cops wouldn't go there to catch thieves.
Yeah anything to win an argument right?

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:25 PM
link   

City Finds Success With Bait Car Program
The Houston Police Department saw a 20 percent reduction in auto thefts in 2008. That translates into a savings of roughly $42.5 million for insurance companies in Houston alone.

"Seventy percent of the people that we arrested in 2008, for example, had criminal histories, prior arrests," Smith said. "They're not opportunistic thieves. They're genuine criminals who need to be taken off the street."

abcnews.go.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

They aren't the ones stealing. You catch the thieves and they give up the fence in exchange for a reduced sentence.
Come on do you actually believe that we’re not talking about a Mona Lisa painting you don’t need a fence to sell a pair of Nikes

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

a reply to: Xtrozero

I don't know why you are doubling down on a failed post. I looked up the law and told my mom how to fight it. The Judge looked at every ticket that cop had given and had every last one of them dismissed, and the city was forced to change the speed limit.

An actual comparison would be someone thinking that even though the speed limit is 55 they can go 85 because there are no cops around to catch them because the cops are hidden, so they speed on purpose and boom get caught.

I have no problem with that. No one caught in this sting was caught for any reason other than they intended to steal.

55 is a common speed on US highways, 25 is a common speed for most towns. Having the speed limit go from 55 to 25 on US highways that run though small towns is a norm across America, as in it is a very real thing and extremely common on EVERY US highway that run right though small towns...I do not know why you can not understand this point.

The law states you must be at or lower the speed of a speed limit sign, as in you can not be 26 one inch past that 25 MPH sign and not be breaking the law. Also you can not accelerate UNTIL you pass a speed limit sign, so once again you can not be a 26 one inch BEFORE the 55 MPH sign, as per the letter of the law.

My point is the cops use this to their advantage, but do you think it is reasonable?

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Yes, anything, like facts. My neighbor left his window down too far and they broke into his truck. In the truck was a spare key for his wife's car. They went out at 6am to go to work and saw the car was missing. Lots of cars have been stolen from, they go around looking for cars that are unlocked.

They actually broke into our last house at Christmas time when my wife was home alone. That was 4 years ago and she still has nightmares.

Our last neighborhood and our current one the perps are all from the same area, the ghettos about 20 minutes away.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

I have never seen a speed limit of 25 with literally nothing for miles in any direction. Where I live the freeway ends and turns into 35, it has a lot of foot traffic as all the hospitals are right there. Cops are there all the time to catch speeders. I have no problem with it as there is an actual reason for the speed. You have no problem with school zones either meaning you have no problem when there is an actual reason for the speed decrease. Why are you still arguing your failed argument?

Oh and speeding is a civil charge, it's not criminal except for the most egregious offenses.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gamer2343

What's illegal about picking up a $100 bill lying on the ground .. who does it belong to?
The poster earlier said they’d return it to the police station apparently they’re the most honest person of which I’ve ever had the privilege to converse

I did. The amount I picked up was perfect to have been someone's entire part-time pay cashed. Someone might have been relying on that. How can you just walk off with it?

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Respect.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Why are you still arguing your failed argument?

Oh and speeding is a civil charge, it's not criminal except for the most egregious offenses.

There is no debate or argument here, you are just being anal on something that you have taken way off scope for the topic.

My point was about reasonable bait, you didn't like my example, I get it, now get over it and back on topic...

edit on 5-8-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   

You don't get it. The people robbing these trucks are kids and crackheads who steal all the time. Thieves. This is not about trying to ensnare kids. Look at 10 of your friends. One is a thief not all of them. Same with inner cities. All kids are not bad but the good ones get caught in the crossfire like with the links I posted.The thieves then sell the goods to friends or trade it for drugs. Then the drugs are sold and the kids buy guns or different drugs. It is not used to pay rent.

If they get one of these kids they flip. Tell them about the low-level dealer/crack pawn shops in garages(they exist) and you can make a case higher and higher. Police 101. I have a good friend who has been a cop in St Pete Florida for over 20 years. Profiling is real. If a group white preppy college kids are in the ghetto at 1 AM they will get lit up by the cops. No reason to be there. At all. Same can happen in a good neighborhood where most of the crime is rich kids stealing stuff from cars. Any color.

This is the real world. People steal things ALL the time. All colors.

This is like a bug zapper. You don't know they are there but you get them when they go for what they think are the goods..LOL.
edit on Augpm31pmf0000002018-08-05T15:42:45-05:000345 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

edit on Augpm31pmf0000002018-08-05T15:43:26-05:000326 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:47 PM
link   

When the speed is altered to be bait it is illegal. Why do you still not get that point. Speeding is not criminal it's civil. Stealing from a truck is criminal.

Apples. Oranges. Don't get them confused.

I already posted facts about how these bait cars catch actual criminals not good kids.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: gamer2343

What's illegal about picking up a $100 bill lying on the ground .. who does it belong to?
The poster earlier said they’d return it to the police station apparently they’re the most honest person of which I’ve ever had the privilege to converse

I did. The amount I picked up was perfect to have been someone's entire part-time pay cashed. Someone might have been relying on that. How can you just walk off with it?
Easy the same way people find stuff metal detecting or diving, Pick it up.

You can sit on your high horse all you want it’s pretty amusing, obvious you’ve never been hungry

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   

When the speed is altered to be bait it is illegal. s.

Never said the speed was altered, you added that for your own narrative, get back on topic...

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Then it's not bait, it's just what the speed is.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Metal detecting finds abandoned property. It's the law, it's legal, it's abandoned.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

You don't get it. The people robbing these trucks are kids and crackheads who steal all the time. Thieves. This is not about trying to ensnare kids. Look at 10 of your friends. One is a thief not all of them. Same with inner cities. All kids are not bad but the good ones get caught in the crossfire like with the links I posted.The thieves then sell the goods to friends or trade it for drugs. Then the drugs are sold and the kids buy guns or different drugs. It is not used to pay rent.

If they get one of these kids they flip. Tell them about the low-level dealer/crack pawn shops in garages(they exist) and you can make a case higher and higher. Police 101. I have a good friend who has been a cop in St Pete Florida for over 20 years. Profiling is real. If a group white preppy college kids are in the ghetto at 1 AM they will get lit up by the cops. No reason to be there. At all. Same can happen in a good neighborhood where most of the crime is rich kids stealing stuff from cars. Any color.

This is the real world. People steal things ALL the time. All colors.

This is like a bug zapper. You don't know they are there but you get them when they go for what they think are the goods..LOL.

“people robbing these trucks are kids and crackheads who steal all the time, Thieves. The thieves then sell the goods to friends or trade it for drugs, drugs are sold and the kids buy guns or different drugs. It is not used to pay rent.”

Oh yeah?

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Yeah.

City Finds Success With Bait Car Program
The Houston Police Department saw a 20 percent reduction in auto thefts in 2008. That translates into a savings of roughly $42.5 million for insurance companies in Houston alone.

"Seventy percent of the people that we arrested in 2008, for example, had criminal histories, prior arrests," Smith said. "They're not opportunistic thieves. They're genuine criminals who need to be taken off the street."

abcnews.go.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join