It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago police confronted for planting bait car full of Nikes in the Ghetto

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It's not entrapment. They do this with cars too.

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: BlueAjah

So, no. A person should not expect that their things will be stolen if they leave it unprotected.
Stealing is stealing. It is wrong. It is a crime.

If you are trying to imply that finders keepers applies in the real world, then you are wrong.

I see only two possible logic paths for you with all this. You either feel the vast majority of society is so good that they will not take any form of bait no matter how enticing it may be, or you do not have a problem with a large percentage of the population is in jail, as you say it is a crime....

"Over there. In a truck. That doesn't belong to you" is a very low threshold of "enticement" for the vast majority of people. Or so I'd hoped before reading this thread.

link   
a reply to: gamer2343

They do this everywhere.
This is not a new thing. Police have used bait for many years. It happens all the time all over the country.

Police leave cars in areas where there have been car thefts. These cars are equipped so that they can be shut down remotely to apprehend the thief.

Police have used decoys to catch on-line predators, in order to proactively protect real children.

Police can offer drugs, and if someone buys it, they are arrested.

Police officers can stand on street corners, and if solicited, they can arrest the person.

Police have often used bait tactics to proactively protect the public, including leaving valuables to apprehend thiefs.

It is legal, and a proved method.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yeah this is the only car in the world they would ever see something valuable in and steal it. I completely agree with this, don't be a thief and don't worry about it.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Yeah that's a dumb comment, I would not steal from a car after being told it had valuables. Anyone who would deserves to be in jail.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:18 PM
link   

If you are trying to imply that finders keepers applies in the real world, then you are wrong.

No I’m trying to imply that you’re a hypocrite, And people do happen to keep stuff they find all the time with metal detectors and when going diving

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

So, no. A person should not expect that their things will be stolen if they leave it unprotected.

I see only two possible logic paths for you with all this. You either feel the vast majority of society is so good that they will not take any form of bait no matter how enticing it may be, or you do not have a problem with a large percentage of the population in jail or now on an almost unrecoverable path in life, as you say it is a crime....

I can say with certainty that most of the people in my family, and most people that I know personally, would never consider taking something that was not theirs. They would never consider taking something from an open truck just because it is there.

I have lived to my age and can honestly say that I have never taken possession of anything that was not mine.
One time not too long ago, I came out of the grocery store and was reviewing my receipt while loading bags in my car. I had told the clerk that there was a case of water under my cart, but I noticed it was not on my receipt. So, I took my receipt, went back into the store, and paid for my water.
If I had not, I would not have been able to live with myself.

So, I have faith that most people are good, and would never take this type of bait.

But there is a small portion of the population that has no moral compass, which is sad.

edit on 8/5/18 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

"Over there. In a truck. That doesn't belong to you" is a very low threshold of "enticement" for the vast majority of people. Or so I'd hoped before reading this thread.

I'm not sure your point please expand on it...Go to a poor area and put 100,000 dollar bills in the back of your truck and everyone in the neighborhood including the 93 year old great great grandma will take a hand full.

Now we go bust the whole neighborhood...what did we solve or fix?

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

But why won’t you answer my questions do you believe if you just keep posting and not acknowledging them that I’ll just eventually forget an stop asking you or something?

Do you leave your car doors unlocked?

Do you leave your home unlocked?

If you do you’re an honest man albeit a not very smart one.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Again, your original post with those questions was addressed to someone else, not to me.

And I pointed out that your questions are irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I see only two possible logic paths for you with all this. You either feel the vast majority of society is so good that they will not take any form of bait no matter how enticing it may be, or you do not have a problem with a large percentage of the population in jail or now on an almost unrecoverable path in life, as you say it is a crime....

I can say with certainty that most of the people in my family, and most people that I know personally, would never consider taking something that was not theirs. They would never consider taking something from an open truck just because it is there.

I have lived to my age and can honestly say that I have never taken possession of anything that was not mine.
One time not too long ago, I came out of the grocery store and was reviewing my receipt while loading bags in my car. I had told the clerk that there was a case of water under my cart, but I noticed it was not on my receipt. So, I took my receipt, went back into the store, and paid for my water.
If I had not, I would not have been able to live with myself.

So, I have faith that most people are good, and would never take this type of bait.

But there is a small portion of the population that has no moral compass, which is sad.

Yeah you probably grew up with a picket fence, You live in a bubble. I’m sure a large majority of the population would pick up $100 bill lying on the ground not walk past it.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Today I learned that if I run into the convenience store for a drink and accidentally leave my car window down and my briefcase or laptop bag on the seat, it's actually legally my fault if it disappeared because I "waved food in front of hungry people" who "were enticed" by my "abandoned" property because "they didn't have role models", and I am the one who turned them into thieves. I mean, no reasonable person would charge the thief with a crime. I "entrapped them." Practically "made them steal." "They should sue" me.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

WOW!!!

You have never broken a law in your whole life... That is AMAZING!!

Did you grow up in a poor area where much if it is dog eat dog world? I don't think you understand when I say there is a bait for EVERYONE including yourself... Expensive Nike sneakers in a poor black community is such a bait...

BTW here is a hint, and it is going to make you sadder... it isn't a "small" portion....

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Again, your original post with those questions was addressed to someone else, not to me.

And I pointed out that your questions are irrelevant.

They aren’t irrelevant, What they are is rhetorical.

My questions are relevant directly to the credibility of your argument.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Don't make comments for which you know nothing. My family was very far from well off growing up, but my parents taught us morals.
When I was first married and when we had our first child, we lived in a mobile home. Then my husband passed away, leaving me on own to raise children on one salary. And I raised our children to know that stealing is wrong.

Far from the picture you have painted.

If I found cash, I would turn it in to the police. They have procedures for such things. If someone reported it lost or stolen, they should get it back. I believe that usually after a time they give cash to the finder, but then it was done legally.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Today I learned that if I run into the convenience store for a drink and accidentally leave my car window down and my briefcase or laptop bag on the seat, it's actually legally my fault if it disappeared because I "waved food in front of hungry people" who "were enticed" by my "abandoned" property because "they didn't have role models", and I am the one who turned them into thieves. I mean, no reasonable person would charge the thief with a crime. I "entrapped them." Practically "made them steal." "They should sue" me.

You know nothing John Snow....

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I know that stealing is wrong. So, something...

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Do you like speed traps... speeding is breaking the law too.

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Do you like speed traps... speeding is breaking the law too.

Do I like speed traps, or do I think everyone should be allowed to speed because of temptation? "I was late, officer. And I can hardly be responsible. If the city didn't want me to speed, they shouldn't have provided all these smooth, paved roads. You practically made me speed".
edit on 5-8-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
While not entrapment, it's in extreme poor taste.

It's on the level of going to a war torn village, and leaving a truck full of food out, then arresting people who steal it.

The Nike's are money, money is whatever they need ( rent, food, school or medical cost, drugs ) or they actually wanted the shoes.

It's all about context, yes its wrong, but if there is a need, there will be a reason, simple enough.

It's almost like poking a lion until it gets upset and then you taze it as a result, you are both sides of the cycle perpetuating itself, how is that helping keep society safe when it's known what the result will be.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join