It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does fashion evade the young?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I recall as a kid, people always told me, oh you're looking for a tribal carnival outfit, I just gave one away.
Wig included.
Thanks for telling me about it.

Then as an adolescent, oh you wanted a hippie outfit, I just threw mine in the trash a week ago.
Original outfit from 1968.

When you're younger it feels like some authenticity is always out of grasp.

It was like everything I wanted they claimed to have just trashed.

I wonder if youngsters still feel like that today sometimes?

Or does fashion repeat itself?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Now I want an old SADF uniform.
Sweetie, you kinda burnt most of that yourself.
But all the Tye-died stuff in my closet.
Along with ripped jeans, I bet there's a new craze for it for just around the corner.

Don't trash it yet!
edit on 3-8-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I am in my 50s and fashion still eludes me.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Yeah I recall these people in their forties then telling me about their Led Zep albums and their groovy outfits.

And I'm asking, but Sir, where is it (I kinda want it).

Oh no, it got lost somewhere.

They don't know.

You don't know where your record collection and wardrobe went?

But now I understand.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

Well I'm a Gay male so the pressures of 'fashion' especially on the scene is quite real. I usually just go out once a month and buy a new outfit but equally I can't wear that every weekend so I just mix it up a bit. Tbh I don't actually do it to keep up to date as such but rather it makes me feel good about myself just like a haircut. I like to feel attractive and be attractive to others. Right now I am trying to find a new bf so looking good is even more important then normal as you are being judged.

Either way I just think for anyone irrespective of age it's important to feel comftable in yourself clothes are sometimes a veneer for that.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Ahhh... fashion just seemingly switched from linens to implants. Well, in the U.S. anyway.

We can either choose to judge and worry about how well we look the part of fitting in, or we can just live as our authentic cellves and operate by way of actions instead of looks.

Someone dressing up for another is a practice of gaining acceptance to a large degree... a large of a degree enough to that it comes off as a superficial way of establishing human connection.

Personally, I couldn't care less about what another thinks about my linens. I have the same attitude that Steve Jobs held for attire. He wore the same thing every single day, so brain energy can be focused to more productive channels. I found clothes I like, and bought many copies of each.

The fashion senses and how they are treated by society depends a lot on the culture. Americans typically have more of a concern with looks, so they don't age as well as say Eastern Europeans... they feel as if aging is a curse, whereas the latter embraces aging with much more confidence. With the keeping up with the Jones' & Kardashian's mentality, it breeds insecurities as a whole which ends up coming across as disingenuous.

Butt implants are the new bell bottoms... literally and figuratively.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Clothing and records lost in the 1970's-1980's:

How did it it happen?

A: Conscription (gents only). Got left behind and sold off while I was gone.
B. Just abandoned everything and dropped out.
C. Joined a religious cult and burnt it all.
D. Threw it out to make space for new clothes and music.
E. The moths ate it.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I could give a rip about fashion.

I know what I like to wear and what's comfortable. I look for that, and don't worry if it has the trendy bits or not. If people can't get past that and look at me, then that's their own problem, not mine.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I use to just grab any old trash bag and cut a few holes in it and throw it on.

Now, I'm very particular about the thickness, sheen and contrasting color regarding the pullstrings on the trash bag.

It's made a huge difference in my appearance and I've been getting a lot of compliments.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Jeans, T-shirt, and a pair of black 3/4 top classic Reeboks and you will never go out of style!

Add a pair of aviators and you have "True Fashion"

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I'm a jeans and a t-shirt kinda gal, but I have limits on what I'll wear and what I won't.

Sure, I've got my old business suit in my closet (still) even though I'd have to lose weight to fit into it again, and my velvet formal dress (church in cold weather) but for the most part I shop at Goodwill, wear what's comfortable and have an exceedingly low key but stylish conservative wardrobe when not in the aforementioned jeans and t-shirts.

I will never understand the fashion crowd that refuses to wear the same outfit twice and I don't understand clothes horders with more than they will ever wear.

I still donate to Salvation Army when I grow out of certain things, but somethings I'll hold on to until I die.

I just don't have a lifestyle that demands "fashion" and live in a laid back community that's mostly jeans and tshirts anyway so......blah......fashion is nice to look at, but not something I need to own.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

No. Fashion is for the clever. I remember as a teen looking in magazines and on the internet for reference and finding all the s##t I wanted in the resale shop. Also the lüks of the early 00's are back in, and there's more than enough of that stuff to go around.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I wouldn’t know what’s “in style/vogue/fashion” unless I’m being reminded of having a lack of such (it’s happened...just saying). Give me a hoodie and jeans in the winter and mesh shorts and no shirt in the summer.

I’m sorta young — definitely a generation removed from being “in my 50s” — so I qualify for the characterization “fashion evade the young”, I think. Born after the second Star Wars theatrical release...young is relative, no?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Fashion does repeat itself in cycles it seems to me at least...

Generally, imo, it has gotten A LOT better than say 10 years ago. Especially for guys. By better i mean, not as ridiculous? Im talking sagging pants with print and pictures on the back pockets, the horrendous graphic t shirts with bedazzles and all that crap.

Of course it is different everywhere, between ethnicities, and ages. One thing i noticed living down south was that people dress completely differently down there than they do in say Colorado my home state.

I moved down there and suddenly had to deal with seeing all the way up a dudes hairy thighs when they are sitting down lol. The shorts are too short down here is what im saying, if your shorts end 5 inches above your knees as a dude, just stop please.

Also, t shirts. Thats all anyone wears down here guys and girls alike jeans or khaki shorts. Excluding Sunday of course.

In Colorado, you see all kinds of different attire and you can actually play with sweaters and coats without the god awful heat.

Its also definitely an urban/rural distinction. Idk im rambling now so ill continue..

Personally, I wear jeans or chinos. Jeans usually black not blue though, hardly ever shorts and if so they touch the top of my knee. Other than that, t shirts. Sometimes a v neck or just a classier formal t or a polo. Almost business casual but not quite.

Im young though. Young enough where i think i saw the absolute worst of pants sagging and sparkly t shirts on guys back in HS/MS.
lets never go back.

Also, another note. Americans simply look like garbage compared to Europeans when it comes to fashion and fitness. Why do I say that? A recent trip to Disney World.

The Europeans all looked so much classier and just nicer than their American counterparts in my opinion. I mean those guys put together OUTFITS! Everything from the shoes to the sunglasses went matched together and looking clean.

They also appeared to weigh about 30 lbs less on average and were generally just more attractive in facial structure, hair, body type but without revealing too much, etc. from what I observed. Just my opinion of course as well but it does make sense seeing as we are the 'great melting pot' basically a bunch of bastards with mixed roots.

I actually love that people from different areas look and dress completely different. There is so much variation to experience in this country let alone the world over.
edit on 3-8-2018 by Lightdhype because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2018 by Lightdhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Don't know, back then trying to smuggle the remains of an HIV-positive ballet dancer home at the time.
No more ballet now.

The coffin lined with medications that might help.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Fashion is all about the young. Old ba$tards like me, couldn't give a crap less.

Jeans and old t-shirts rule my wardrobe. Function and comfort....

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Doesn't matter If you are wearing the latest Jimmy Shoes (lol) or Hugo Boss (designer of the Nazi uniforms) If you can't carry yourself in them you may as well be wearing a bin bag.
I and others can wear anything and still look great.
(No thats a massive lie I tell my self because I get laughed at by kids all the time in the street because of the things I think I look good in
. )

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Fashion should reflect your inner self.

Sepultara:

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Kids round our way have grown their hair out into mops. The style is the same as it was in the very late 80s and early 90s when rave and indie was the thing. The ravers had ripped it off from the original Summer of Love in the 60s. Ripped denims have been in for a few years and they were cool in the mid-80s. Flares were in during the 90s which were obviously HUGE in the 70s.

Girls are wearing makeup and big hair like they did in the 80s. Skinny/skin tight jeans are in across the board.

So yeah and amen. Fashion has become very repetitive even though it seems fresh as hell to people in their 20s and younger. It's cool though because at least it changes every few years despite losing originality. As long as fashions come back, we'll all have our time to shine.

One day soon, people will be back in those nasty yellows, browns and corduroys from early 70s sitcoms.

posted on Aug, 6 2018 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Lol I was 16 when I had my Joe blogs 60 inch flares, I wore them once.
Madchester had a lot to answer for lol.

top topics

join