It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latino Groups Blast Zuckerberg For Requiring ID To Buy Facebook Political Ads

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
So, Progressives please explain. You want to root out foreign interference in US elections, Facebook complies, and now it is unfair to Latino foreign nationals because they need an ID to buy facebook political ads..... but they are foreign nationals.... and you want to make sure foreign nationals do not influence elections by buying Facebook political ads right?

dailycaller.com...

Facebook’s recent policy changes requiring proof of identity to purchase political ads is unfair to Latino immigrants, several progressive groups claimed Thursday.

Facebook began requiring users to submit a government-issued ID and mailing address before purchasing any political ads in April as part of the company’s efforts to combat foreign meddling in American politics.

A coalition of progressive political groups asked Facebook in May to reverse the ID requirement but claim the company has been unresponsive. The activists said Thursday they will “step up efforts to continue shaming Facebook until the policy is amended” in a press release. (RELATED: How The Left Turned Big Tech Into Their Speech Police)

“Facebook’s one-size-fits-all policy for so-called ‘political advertising’ has effectively shut millions of voices out of the democratic process and public discourse on the most populous and influential social media platform,” said Angelica Salas, executive director of the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights, in the release. “The social media giant must face the fact immigrants and other communities are not the enemy.”

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

LOL. That is awesome. I am wondering how it is that a foreign national can afford political ads but not an ID.

It is fun watching this play out.
edit on 3-8-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Gasp!

Why is Zuckerberg so RACIST?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
www.theguardian.com... another link for OP

A new Facebook policy meant to curb election interference is also prohibiting undocumented immigrants from buying political ads, which, critics say, could silence activists and disrupt organizing efforts on the platform.Facebook announced last month that it would start requiring political ad buyers in the US to verify their identities in an effort to combat fake news and misinformation and avoid a repeat of the 2016 election when it allowed Russia-backed posts to reach millions of Americans. Because users must now confirm their social security number and submit their US driver’s license or passport, millions of undocumented people in America are also no longer able to post political ads. “This is Facebook telling undocumented people you’re not allowed to participate in this part of the political process,” said Justino Mora, co-founder of advocacy group UndocuMedia and an undocumented immigrant currently protected by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (Daca) program. “They are essentially banning a certain political view from being expressed … They are going to allow anti-immigrant xenophobes and racists to have more power.”
so it will be interesting to see how this all ends up but been a rough few months for facebook

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Gasp!

Why is Zuckerberg so RACIST?

He's not Racist.......He's an Android......He hates ALL humans!!

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Basically admitting there are tons of f# criminals here seeking to influence our elections.

How does the hypocrisy slip past them?

It doesn't. They just don't care. By any means necessary, remember?

It's not supposed to make sense. It just supposed to disrupt and aggravate.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Basically admitting there are tons of f# criminals here seeking to influence our elections.

How does the hypocrisy slip past them?

It doesn't. They just don't care. By any means necessary, remember?

It's not supposed to make sense. It just supposed to disrupt and aggravate.

I was gonna say, isn't this similar to what some Russians did?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It was unfair to everyone except those who were tipped off. Affected Ads I had ready for clients. Took right at 2 weeks to get "cleared" AFTER I supplied DL front and back hi-rez, address AND SS#. I run quite a bit of ads with them (yuck) so I really felt dissed

I believe they rolled it out for primaries to hurt conservative candidates because they KNOW they are getting killed on message.

Bite me Zuckerberg, I've stopped using your deep state rip off personally and I'm busy restructuring my business to by-pass you too.

edit on 3-8-2018 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Political ads don't necessarily mean American political ads. Maybe they would like to purchase ads for their own countries? Not everything is about America...

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   

One time in the Congress was enough for Zuckerberg.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Political ads don't necessarily mean American political ads. Maybe they would like to purchase ads for their own countries? Not everything is about America...

Oh, cmon now, you know exactly that this is about US political ads. That is what the story is about. Google it.

www.theregister.co.uk...

New Facebook political ad rules: Now you must prove your ID before undermining democracy

Going forward, the company says all election-related and issue ads on Facebook and Instagram in the US will be required to be clearly labelled with a "Paid for by" disclosure at the top of the ad.

edit on 3-8-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
that one obscure political group is spun as latino groups

nice spin

which other groups are against this and agreeing with this Justino Mora

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
that one obscure political group is spun as latino groups

nice spin

which other groups are against this and agreeing with this Justino Mora

Spin you say...... Here are a few more

news.vice.com...

“This is excluding an important part of the nation who are being affected by its policies,” Rep. Adriano Espaillat, a New York Democrat who was undocumented in the U.S. in his youth, told VICE News.

Immigrant rights activists are upset that Facebook’s decision not only excludes a large group of vulnerable people but also could have real political consequences on the immigration debate.

“This idea that if you are undocumented that you don’t have a voice on one of the major platforms is undemocratic,” said Angel Padilla, the policy director for the progressive group Indivisible, which has been especially active advocating for Dreamers.

www.theguardian.com...

“This is Facebook telling undocumented people you’re not allowed to participate in this part of the political process,” said Justino Mora, co-founder of advocacy group UndocuMedia

Rights groups argued this week that Facebook has an obligation to allow ads from undocumented people, with some pointing to CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s stated support for Daca recipients.

Jess Morales Rocketto, political director at the National Domestic Workers Alliance, said Facebook had been critical to educate immigrants about their rights and organize against harmful campaigns

“This has the markings of a decision made in a room with a handful of executives who may not have fully thought through the implications,” said Brendan Fischer, of the Campaign Legal Center.

“It’s really important to have a platform that reaches people to let them know they are not alone,” said Melody Klingenfuss, a 24-year-old undocumented activist with the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles (Chirla) “Facebook must continue to allow undocumented folks in the United States to participate in the flow of ideas. Mr Zuckerberg must understand the power of his platform.”

edit on 3-8-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Tribalism at its finest.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
err
edit on 3-8-2018 by SummerRain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:20 PM
link   
--sigh--

So FB does what a noisy bunch want 'em to do, and now it's a bad thing?

I swear to God, I'm about to get whiplash...

But...but...we didn't mean us, we meant those guys over there >>>, not us.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

This is mental. Seriously. Firstly, are these people serious when they argue that the average everyday person paying for political ads on Facebook is part of the regular 'democratic process'??? Does any regular citizen really do that?

Second, does this mean that Russian super spies simply have to find an American with an ID to lodge the application for the political ads for them? I think there would be a million people on either side of the political fence who would offer to help to bury the opposition...

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Stop foreign nationals from interfering... Unless they're our foreign nationals.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I know it shouldn't surprise me, but good lord, what did I just read? Really? They're upset because illegal aliens, who can't vote, aren't being "allowed a voice" and "can't engage in this part of the political process"? Honestly? Some days I really feel like I went down the rabbit hole.

new topics

top topics

join