It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google being evil again, or just me being paranoid?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
That's what all these "analytics" companies do. They take all the data from mobile phones; location, motion, tweets, emails, instant messaging, webpages and cookies visited, then aggregate it into "big data" (Petabytes of information from millions of people), then do some "data mining" using AI and machine-learning algorithms, Natural Language Processing, then generate a series of conclusions (looking for a new job, looking for a store/restaurant), then forwards those tips to interested parties, who can then "nudge" you into making the "right decision".

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: riiver
And the car does have a GPS tracker attached to the underside of it somewhere--put there by the dealership so they can find it if they ever need to repo it--but that shouldn't have anything to do with Google.

It's the GPS tracker. This is the only thing on your car that Google could use to track the whereabouts of your car.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Someday soon, people are going to have to accept that life in an advanced technological world will mean that artificial intelligence will know everything about you. Everything!

It's all data, everything you do. It knows!

We're almost there now, in fact most people are unaware of how much data is collected on them, stored, run through algorithms, bought, sold and used. In fact, most people would likely be paranoid if they did.

I was talking with my son on my smartphone some time ago about home security systems. TALKING only. Within minutes I started seeing ads for home security systems everywhere, got emails for home security systems, and a few automated phone calls.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
probably your phone.

Google tracks everywhere you go, and most people dont know it. I had this phone for 3 years, and i found on google how to find where its turned on THROUGH google, not the phone.

It had a list of EVERYWHERE I HAD BEEN, including over seas locations, for those 3 years, and how many times I had been there.

You can turn off your location on your phone and it will still track you.

Google how to get into it, through browser and you can turn it all off, takes quite a few steps.
edit on 3-8-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Maybe it's your Lojack

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: toms54

That's probably the most logical explanation.

The lojack has to use some form of internet connection, otherwise it's pointless. Sounds like google is hooked into it.

Which I would find very annoying. That lojack would find itself disabled, too...

Course, I'm not exactly enamored of our digital world...I use it as little as possible.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Thank you to everyone for all the replies and the great suggestions. I had decided it simply had to be the tracker the dealership put on the car (and I must say it chills me to think THAT could be linked to Google---good God is EVERYTHING digital linked to Google somehow?).

However, after posting here and reading some of the replies I did a little experiment. I first had my son take my car for a drive, then my daughter and my son-in-law. I got no notification when my son went for his drive, so it appears to happen with only 2 of the 3 other phones in the house. Now I'm leaning toward the idea of my phone being associated with the other 2 somehow, like someone suggested on page 1. Though I have to admit I'm not tech-savvy enough to know if/how that's actually possible. (And I feel a lot better now that it appears less likely that the tracker is talking to Google. Whew. That was too creepy for words!)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: riiver

Your phone learns when you leave. I get those on my days off at the time I normally leave.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Everything and everyone are monitored. The technology has come too far and privacy does not truly exist anymore.
You could try plugging out completely from everything and go off grid and my hunch is even that wouldn’t be enough to escape the tracking and monitoring we now all face unfortunately.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
passive listening combined with the GPS info and pairing info (even your not in the car once the ignition is on and your phone is in range that will pair)

My phone often pops up a message giving me travel info on a destination that is not a routine destination, the only link would be that we have spoken about going the previous day.

Google is our friend, take the advice and make life easier until the AI overlord deems us irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Your phone learns when you leave. I get those on my days off at the time I normally leave.

No, that's the one explanation that doesn't fit at all. I'm a writer and I work from home. I'm random and chaotic and I have NO semblance of a schedule whatsoever. I may go our 5 times in one day or I may not leave home for a week, and even Google would have a hard time guessing when I'm about to leave at any given time. I may get up at 1 in the afternoon and go to the store at 4 am. Then again, I may get up at 9 and go somewhere at 10. There's no rhyme, reason, or pattern to my daily activity. But most of all, this isn't something that happens at any certain time--the messages popping up, that is--it's something that ONLY happens when my car leaves my house, and only when my son-in-law or daughter are the ones driving it. Learning my habits, even if I had any, just doesn't fit.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:55 PM
link   
For those old enough to remember "Christine"...
I'd say your phone is "Bad to the bone".... Bbbbbbad
edit on Sat, 04 Aug 2018 16:57:00 -0500574America/ChicagoSaturday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: rigel4

And then comes that fateful day when the A.I. becomes self aware....

And they name it Christine...

THE END

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername

originally posted by: rigel4

And then comes that fateful day when the A.I. becomes self aware....

And they name it Christine...

THE END

Yea ... exactly we're on the same page here .

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Apparently it's guessing we'll since it's when the car is being used.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
What happens when the grid goes down and the technology we have become dependent on to manage our lives is no longer there.
Will we still know who we are?

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Technology can feel scary in modern times.

While I haven't experienced exactly what you have, I do get the feeling that my smartphone is observing/monitoring me at times and it feels unnatural and uncomfortable.

Also when I use Google search on my laptop, it often has suggestions for exactly what I was about to type. I get that it has information from other people's searches, but the predictive text that comes up is as though it's reading my mind, which is quite frightening!

edit on 8/8/2018 by DividedByZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
It's absolutely crucial to secure your connected devices, but sometimes there are other logical explanations for weird occurrences. For example, maybe your phones GPS isn't even picking up on your car, maybe it's picking up on Bluetooth from other devices nearby. Some phones have a really wide range.

posted on Aug, 31 2018 @ 02:27 AM
link   

It's Google, so going with "evil" on this one. Really detest Google. i think most cars, past '06 or so, are computerized, so even if it doesn't have perks, it could be tracked. I recall seeing that most newer than that could be hacked remotely, so locating one seems easy. Plus, as you stated, it does have GPS. Now, how would they know? Heck, they probably own some part of the devices that can track the cars.

I was suspicious some years ago, when the cell companies were pushing smart phones at everyone. I didn't want one, as I LOVED my little flip phone, and refused to get one till that broke. Smart phones are to track us.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join