It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NRA Says It’s in Deep Financial Trouble, May Be ‘Unable to Exist’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Looks like the NRA has been blacklisted and this has caused 10's of millions of dollars in damage. The NRA can't gain access to financial services and lost insurance coverage, this effects being able to maintain physical offices or hold meetings.

The reason, according to the NRA filing, is not its deep entanglement with alleged Russian agents like Maria Butina. Instead, the gun group has been suing New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the state’s financial regulators since May, claiming the NRA has been subject to a state-led “blacklisting campaign” that has inflicted “tens of millions of dollars in damages.”

In the new document — an amended complaint filed in U.S. District Court in late July — the NRA says it cannot access financial services essential to its operations and is facing “irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm.”

Specifically, the NRA warns that it has lost insurance coverage — endangering day-to-day operations. “Insurance coverage is necessary for the NRA to continue its existence,” the complaint reads. Without general liability coverage, it adds, the “NRA cannot maintain its physical premises, convene off-site meetings and events, operate educational programs … or hold rallies, conventions and assemblies.”
www.rollingstone.com...

According to the NRA Gov Cuomo has abused his power leading to depriving bank services. And bank services are essential to business.

In addition to its insurance troubles, the NRA court filing also claims that “abuses” by Cuomo and the New York State Department of Financial Services “will imminently deprive the NRA of basic bank-depository services … and other financial services essential to the NRA’s corporate existence.”
www.rollingstone.com...

So the NRA filed a lawsuit to stop the state from interfearing with the NRA's business.

The lawsuit seeks an immediate injunction to block state authorities from “interfering with, terminating, or diminishing any of the NRA’s contracts and/or business relationships with any organizations.” Without court intervention, the complaint reads, “the NRA will suffer irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm if it is unable to acquire insurance or other banking services due to Defendants’ actions.”
www.rollingstone.com...

If the NRA can get a fair trial, seems like they have a good case against the state. But the NRA is also playing with the big boys, and they do not play fair.

Cuomo tweeted: “I urge companies in New York State to revisit any ties they have to the NRA and consider their reputations, and responsibility to the public.”
www.rollingstone.com...

edit on 3-8-2018 by atsgrounded because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Doesn't this come under the First amendment rights - the right to join a group that shares the same political opinion? So long as they are not violating any laws, no state has the right to interfere with their finances.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

If the NRA can get a fair trial sure,but some of the items in the story lead me to believe they are in for a long fight.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   
That's because they spend to much money on stupid stuff. They have all the support they need.

I realize they're a lobbying group for the Second Amendment.

The National Rifle Association and its affiliates spent over $50 million in political advertisements in the last US general election, boosting Republicans who promised to support the NRA and targeting Democrats who propose stricter gun laws.

I understand the strategy and concept but I think that's too much money and they over reached, over extended.

They also spend too much time on non issues, like responding too quickly and insensitively after shootings or arguing with David Hogg etc.
edit on 3-8-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
You just reminded me to update my membership, thanx op!

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: atsgrounded

Guess, they wont be able to donate much to the alt right politicians. What a shame.

edit on 3-8-2018 by kurthall because: add

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Probably not a good thing to eliminate the NRA. They act as a buffer between the politics of freedom and their members that would, without a rational voice to represent, welcome in another revolutionary war.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Perhaps they can get a loan from the Russians.

newrepublic.com...

www.rollingstone.com...

eta...the NRA dosen't really care that much about gun rights or the 2nd; Mostly now just lobbyist for the GOP and big bucks to pay the executives of the nonprofit.
edit on 3-8-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I guess this just goes to show that a business model based around fear mongering after mass shootings just isn't feasible.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

...the NRA dosen't really care that much about gun rights or the 2nd..

The NRA is beholden to gun manufacturers and their associated special interests (and merely uses the appearance of 2nd amendment support to further it). The proof will be evident by their about face on the liberator 3d printed gun debate (as its a prime example of eliminating the profit model from their modus operadi). NRA doesn't care about guns or the 2nd, the care about $$$.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I will own guns no matter if the NRA exists or not.

(post by wylekat removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
If you eliminate the rational voice of the 2nd amendment supporters you better be ready to face the irrational voice because it will be coming and I don't think you will like it much.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I always knew the NRA was a rather flimsy stopgap. As far back as the 80s, I thought to myself "If it ever comes down to it, this is not going to be nearly enough. "
edit on 3-8-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I guess this just goes to show that a business model based around fear mongering after mass shootings just isn't feasible.

Maybe that's the problem... I think its been nearly 6 months now since a full blown indiscriminate mass shooting occurred.

People just aren't paranoid about the government coming for their guns atm... The new membership rate is probably on the decline and membership renewals are probably being over looked.

edit on 3-8-2018 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Well, another organisation will come to the forefront to take it's place. One that will for a time, focus on it's members rather than playing Washington party games and whoring for money.

Cya NRA.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
They should add a few cents to the cost of a case of ammo and fund the NRA that way. Problem solved.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
How about a new org called the National Institute of Guns in America???

Perhaps they would not lobby the 1st. and the 2nd away.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
How about a new org called the National Institute of Guns in America???

Perhaps they would not lobby the 1st. and the 2nd away.

"National Institute of Guns in America"? NIGA?! Really? I don't think that would go over very well.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Finally some good news!! As if we don't have enough gun psychos in America, we certainly don't need an advocacy group for them. If they can't get enough money from their wealthy donors then either they're wasting the money, or they aren't as popular as they claim.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join