It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Number Of Americans Living In Their Vehicles “Explodes”

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I once said on this forum that an easy life style will be the ruin of any nation.

I agree and I think it starts with the children. Parents want their children to have the "Life of Riley". They raise them to believe that they are special and that all they have to do to get what they in life is to say, "I want it."

Those children that are growing up without knowing the value of even the basic necessities of live. Many grow up bitter, confused, and vulnerable. All the things that their parents didn't want.

Oh, and some never make it outside of their parent's home because they were never taught to function on their own. Sure fire foundation for a weak country and a path to ruination.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'm all for that. Simple exemptions for things like food and housing would serve people much better in the end.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   

edit on 3-8-2018 by BeefNoMeat because: DP

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 06:02 PM
link   

People aren't sleeping in their cars because of lack of affordable housing or because the economy isn't doing well

Are you crazy?? Affordable housing doesn't exist in many parts of the country, and in spite of all this talk about how great the economy is it's very hard to get a good job. I've been trying for over a year to get a non-contract job and I have two degrees and am a veteran and only got a few interviews.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

At present I notice that you can pick up a decent boat, that gets sailed on the great lakes for four months a year for practically nothing. This is what happens when the economy tanks, lots of formerly rich people cant afford the time and money on their upkeep. The boatyards just want some money back off them. If you fancy a thirty footer for three grand you don't have to look to hard or to long. You can get from the lakes into the Chicago waterways then down the Mississippi to the sun as long as the keel isn't to isn't too deep. That's the way I would wait out the coming depression.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   

well if you actually step back and look at the big picture nothing will actually change for the working class. The federal reserve still has the world enslaved and government still initiates violence to get what it wants just like is has been for thousands of years. And if anybody still thinks trump is actually going to fix the most important issues with money and morals would also believe that the moon is made out of cheese
edit on 3-8-2018 by JakeM84 because: lack of info

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

Wow, you almost managed to keep politics completely out of your thesis. That is fricken awesome.

So if this spans across all political parties and we have been growing poorer over the last 30+ years, maybe even starting around 1913, what do you think is happening?

Is printing money out of thin air causing this slow decent into madness? Why are houses so expensive to even manufacture anymore? Around our area (cheap area of USA) most builders need at least a selling price of $150,000 anymore just to break even, and that is for around 980 square feet one story with an unfinished basement. That same house in this area should be going for 105,000-120,000 max.

Why don't we see affordable housing without government input, something around 50,000 or 60,000? Why are building materials so high anymore. Prices of almost all necessities are getting out of reach anymore. How do we correct this?

Because capitalism is based not on anything scientific or intrinsically workable.

It’s based on greed and corruption.

The American system is a corrupt system where pockets of greedy selfish business people basically bribe the politicians to favor their enterprises to the detriment of the macroeconomy and the ordinary American.

They've rigged the system. Look at health care, Has anyone thought about reigning in the cost of the health care system?
NO

That's because the healthcare lobby extorts the congress and president.

Has anyone thought about reigning in the cost of the real estate or drug industries?
NO

That's because the Real estate and pharmaceutical industry bribes the politicians

I could go on and on and on about, for example, the oil lobby who are literally destroying the environment, the weapon industry, or the Military industrial complex industry and many others.

All of this greed and corruption one fine day will bring us to destruction

Then maybe after that horrible experience, people will wake up

edit on 3-8-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: ClovenSky

Wow, you almost managed to keep politics completely out of your thesis. That is fricken awesome.

So if this spans across all political parties and we have been growing poorer over the last 30+ years, maybe even starting around 1913, what do you think is happening?

Is printing money out of thin air causing this slow decent into madness? Why are houses so expensive to even manufacture anymore? Around our area (cheap area of USA) most builders need at least a selling price of $150,000 anymore just to break even, and that is for around 980 square feet one story with an unfinished basement. That same house in this area should be going for 105,000-120,000 max.

Why don't we see affordable housing without government input, something around 50,000 or 60,000? Why are building materials so high anymore. Prices of almost all necessities are getting out of reach anymore. How do we correct this?

Because capitalism is based not on anything scientific or intrinsically workable.

It’s based on greed and corruption.

The American system is a corrupt system where pockets of greedy selfish business people basically bribe the politicians to favor their enterprises to the detriment of the macroeconomy and the ordinary American.

They've rigged the system. Look at health care, Has anyone thought about reigning in the cost of the health care system?
NO

That's because the healthcare lobby extorts the congress and president.

Has anyone thought about reigning in the cost real estate or drug industries?
NO

That's because the Real estate and pharmaceutical industry lobby bribes the politicians

I could go on and on and on about the oil lobby who are literally destroying the environment, the weapon industry, or the Military industrial complex industry and many others.

All of this greed and corruption one fine day will bring us to destruction

Then maybe after that horrible experience, people will wake up

Capitalism is based on philosophy and follows a pattern of the natural world and human nature. It was the French Revolution and merchants wanting more of their money and say in how commerce is evolving and governed.

The downside is it doesn't have a morality that follows the social contact by design. Regulations try and do this but become a tool to stifle competition or create government contracts.

Capitalism works when the left and right "libertarian" principles debate and keep each other in line. Capitalism fails with authoritarianism. Which we continue to endure..

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

Capitalism has failed in the US miserably as this OP demonstrates where you have massive homelessness in the light of THE massive wealth accumulation of the rich and powerful.
They full time bribe the American leaders to favor their particular business enterprise to the detriment of the people.

THAT’S THE PROBLEM

Only a few honest Democrats actually fight for the people and not the corporations

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Newsflash: The economy IS indeed booming.

But that doesn't mean every bum and hobo are going to magically be suddenly employed and building their dream home next week.

If you keep searching, and be more honest, you will find reality, I am rootin' for ya!

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

a reply to: luthier

Capitalism has failed in the US miserably as this OP demonstrates where you have massive homelessness in the light of THE massive wealth accumulation of the rich and powerful.
They full time bribe the American leaders to favor their particular business enterprise to the detriment of the people.

THAT’S THE PROBLEM

Only a few honest Democrats actually fight for the people and not the corporations

Life is hard and corruption is strong. That has nothing to do with failure.

If you think living under king George or Mao is better I don't know what to say.

Yeah it takes work and we have been lazy. That isn't catastrophic failure yet, until you don't have a hospital to treat your infection, or you are fighting off pirates.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Here in Seattle the homelessness issue has been made significantly worse (in my opinion), because law enforcement has (apparently) been instructed to ignore lawbreaking except for violent crimes and parking infractions. Aurora Avenue (about one mile from where I live) has gotten so bad that you cannot drive some parts of it without seeing blatant drug use (shooting up in plain site right next to businesses), sex acts (prostitution or just really horny people), as well as shady transactions that are either illicit substances or stolen merchandise (usually from businesses and/or homes that are unfortunate enough to be nearby).

A low-barrier tiny-house village has been installed on 85th & Aurora, and property crime in the vicinity has gone up more than 300% in the past year. This village serves as a refuge and launchpad for every kind of criminal activity you can imagine.

I used to have a lot more compassion for homeless persons, because I was also homeless for a couple of months and lived in my car WHILE maintaining a perfect GPA in college. The house I had been renting a room in was suddenly sold, and I had to make do until I found someplace else- and, at this time, I couldn't receive ANY help because I wasn't a person of color, gay, or pregnant. Nowadays there are tons of resources to assist persons wanting to get of the street, but, apparently many if not most would rather stay in their current situation. Why pay rent and follow the rules set down by a landlord/lease when you can party 24/7 on any street corner, get free food from food banks, or steal whatever you need from local businesses and homeowners?

I believe that at least in Seattle, there needs to be a crackdown on crime and low-barrier housing projects should be reconsidered.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

But that doesn't mean every bum and hobo are going to magically be suddenly employed and building their dream home next week.

If you keep searching, and be more honest, you will find reality, I am rootin' for ya!

So all those homeless including the thousands of veterans are hobos and bums?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think there are more homeless then ever before around where I live.

You can see the homeless encampments along the freeways if you care to look. They are usually in the bushes. Every shopping center that we go to has the people with the signs asking for money. Many people give them food. Look for a shopping cart in the bushes when you see one of those people and see how many bags of goods they have.

We also have trouble with the homeless sleeping in the parks. If you go out early in the mornings, the parks are full of homeless. The sad thing is that these same spaces will be occupied by children later in the day. How do you teach your kids to watch out for used syringes?

I read the letters to the editor in my local newspaper and we actually have a number of vocal people in town that want more goods and services for the homeless population. My view is that the nicer you make it for the homeless, the more you will have. (If you build it, they will come)

I don't have a good solution. You are dealing with a population that does not seem to be able to function in our society. So, for whatever reason they are homeless. They are not an easy group to work with.

Perhaps cities are going to have to create urban camping zones that would include plumbing and would be policed and then crack down on those who chose not to go camp in designated zones.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm a victim!

I'm living in my vehicle. It's horrible, sign of the times and this Trump economy.

5 to 6 days a week, I'm living in my vehicle, I have a bed, television (w satellite) internet, refrigerator, microwave and just about everything I need or want and I get paid well for it. A salary and benefits with bonuses etc most people would be envious of, and I'm traveling all over the country...

The other days I have to go home, and deal with all the domestic stuff.

It sucks!

But, life is good... on the road.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Wildbob77

This is a pretty out of touch and very unempathetic outlook.

Those pesky homeless are mostly made up of vets and mentally ill.

Oddly enough homeless and veteran populations coincide.

So many of those pesky homeless people are societies failures to support their population.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

So all those homeless including the thousands of veterans are hobos and bums?

No. Only the bums and hobos are hobos and bums.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Wow, that is some really sad news.

But hey, Trump is giving millionaires another huge tax break so I'm sure that will fix things

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Obama was a!ways trying to pass the idea of the economy doing so well, AND homelessness isn't markedly different from when he was at the wheel. The cost of living has slowed increased for decades. A one bedroom payment 10 years ago in Colorado could be had for $700. You're not gonna touch that for less than double that now. If you are in a situation where you MUST HAVE health insurance, get ready to pay. My wife and myself equates to $1200/month. Someone I work with is paying $1900 for him and his 2 kids. So rent and health insurance AND NOTHING ELSE is $3300/month. You would have to make AT LEAST 70k/year to not be struggling with homelessness. It's too damn expensive. I can't speak for every state, but we were nowhere like L.A. Or N.Y. And now we are. People that live here are destined to rent and never own a home.
As far as the economy, I'm having to pay very high to get the best employees, jobs haven't been this available here in many years...maybe decades. Interest rates are going up like that haven't in at least a decade. There are many things going on that point to a reviving economy. Homelessness will always be a problem in America, I see nothing here that make me think it's exploding.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 10:17 PM
link   
To me middle class is what my family was, mom stayed home and raised 4 kids, dad worked had a solid job, middle class home paid off, two cars paid off, boat and a RV all paid for no debt at all. In fact average money saved per month was $1000 for retirement. You can throw all kinds of stats and numbers out, but no debt via only 1 Alpha earning person being able to pay for everything for family of 4 today is middle class. And I am talking about at least 500K house in the mix with 2 newer cars paid off.
You can look middle class, but be swimming in debt and three months with no paycheck equals the end.
6 months with no paycheck would equal total poverty.

The real middle class can survive over a year with no pay because they aren't drowning in debts and have built up a reasonable emergency reserve and own their house.
edit on 3-8-2018 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-8-2018 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join