It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio Judge Ordered Deputies to Tape Man's Mouth Shut During Sentencing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Gagging does seem odd indeed.

Doesn't seem odd if he has a history of doing this in the same court room, with the same judge, and has gotten multiple warnings. It seems he deserved it.

originally posted by: JHumm
Is that a violation of the 1st amendment?

I would say that it is if they chose to never remove it, but the judge even specifically said they would remove it when it's his turn to speak.
edit on 3-8-2018 by Necrobile because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Use a less biased source then.

Simples.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

Deserved to be gagged?

There must be a better way of dispensing justice in today world surely?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   

a reply to: Chadwickus

I don't mention race, that's the article/title.

I'm more interested in the legality of the matter and downright wrongness of the whole affair in general.

Gagging does seem odd indeed.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

thehill.com...

abc7.com...

And so many more..

But you found the one that makes it about race..

I believe you did that on purpose..

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

www.vibe.com...

There you go, happy now?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Ecstatic.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Court ordered assault? I think this is beyond the purview of the judge.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

You also agree with gagging the Man. LoL

It's not about race its about common decency and the treatment you receive whilst in custody!

Think what you like though, as i said, i don't mention the Mans ethnicity.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

In patient care for the insane, if you put tape on their mouth you are guilty of patient abuse. Its well established.

I cannot imagine that this judge isn't guilty of violating the rights of that man.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:17 AM
link   

It's not about race its about common decency and the treatment you receive whilst in custody!

Well, he wasn't showing any common decency as well, and like I've said multiple times, he's had multiple warnings from multiple sessions to stop this. Did you not pay attention to the judge telling him how it's the same rules as previous sessions?? This guy has made a habit of this, so he was warned. Don't heed warnings and that's what you get.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
I think # like this happens quite often.

I was on jury duty a few months back and the entire panel got dismissed because the defendant kept yelling loudly, from the holding cell adjacent to the court room, 'I'm not guilty you mofos!'

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

Wow.

Love your avatar- so true....

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Well maybe when a judge tells you repeatedly to shut up you should do it? I might not know when to shut up sometimes but if a judge told me to do it, i'd be shutting my mouth fairly quick.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrobile

You would think through that whilst the Man in question is wrong by way of his outbursts that the court would still be obligated to extend the modicum of respect of not gagging a person.

What if he has mental health issues, diagnosed or otherwise, that contributed to his outbursts?

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Me to, but i would not expect to be gagged if i chose to do otherwise.

Jailed yes, found in contempt of court, yes, but gagged???

I think that's a little too far.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It never ends, still another use for duct tape! To be serious, if it's possible, I do wonder if there was some reason he needed to be in court? They try people, in absentia, who've fled. Or perhaps have a room with a speaker they could take him to, broadcasting what's going on the courtroom, which wouldn't cost a lot to implement, just a couple WiFi gadgets. I find binding somebody's mouth offensive, like some kidnapper, pervert or serial killer would do. Personally, I find it an image that doesn't belong in a courtroom. Also, the image of six police, standing around a seated, shackled prisoner, taping his mouth shut, which, in addition, a lot of people use to breathe, is unsettling, too Nazi for my taste. Six police, taping somebody's mouth shut, in that nation of the First Amendment, that's supposed to be human rights and some shining light on the hill? How would you feel, if it were a picture of six Muslims standing around the guy, in some Sharia court? Anyway, I find it a disturbing image, in the land of the free, and you can't simply dismiss the victim is a black man, that it's all the worse an image, in terms of the racial history of the U.S.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

#BlackMouthsMatter

#BanWhiteNoise

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing
It never ends, still another use for duct tape! To be serious, if it's possible, I do wonder if there was some reason he needed to be in court? They try people, in absentia, who've fled. Or perhaps have a room with a speaker they could take him to, broadcasting what's going on the courtroom, which wouldn't cost a lot to implement, just a couple WiFi gadgets. I find binding somebody's mouth offensive, like some kidnapper, pervert or serial killer would do. Personally, I find it an image that doesn't belong in a courtroom. Also, the image of six police, standing around a seated, shackled prisoner, taping his mouth shut, which, in addition, a lot of people use to breathe, is unsettling, too Nazi for my taste. Six police, taping somebody's mouth shut, in that nation of the First Amendment, that's supposed to be human rights and some shining light on the hill? How would you feel, if it were a picture of six Muslims standing around the guy, in some Sharia court? Anyway, I find it a disturbing image, in the land of the free, and you can't simply dismiss the victim is a black man, that it's all the worse an image, in terms of the racial history of the U.S.

This is a very insightful response. Not much to add to this comment, but my full endorsement.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Nice try but just like restraints being regularly used when a defendant is too unruly during sentencing, things like this are not uncommon. Sentencing requires the dependent to be in the courtroom due to their rights. If they will only disrupt disrupt disrupt it is absolutely an option to gag them while the sentence is read. Maybe if the guy wasn't screaming guys head off and ignoring repeated directives to shut up this might not have happened.

They certainly didn't just tape his mouth for the heck of it, and certainly not because "oh a black guy? Let's duct tape him!" Give me a break.

Nice try making it about race, though. Not.

Epic fail.
edit on 3-8-2018 by gernblan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

All mouths matter.

But duct tapping such is just overkill in the extreme.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join