It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmates Are Getting Registered To Vote In One Of The Country’s Biggest Jails

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 02:19 AM
link   

and lets be real. just cause you are convicted of something does not mean you actually did it and just cause youve never ben arrested does not mean you a shady criminal #.

so what do we do?
a reply to: TinySickTears

IMO if you are a convicted felon and serve your court directed time, and are then released back into society, all your rights should be restored.

If you are in jail during election time, sorry about that ..

Logistically speaking and delivering ballots opens a whole can of worms IMO. But I do not work in the system so my opinion counts for very little in that regard.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
a reply to: highvein

at the moment, I am doubting the decision making skills of alot of people who took part in the last election...
can that be a reason to refuse to let them vote in this coming election???
of course not... we all have different reasons to doubt the skills of others...
oh they are poor...
oh they aren't property owners...
oh they like to party and get drunk every weekend...
oh.... they are racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes.....

well there's a thing in this country, an idea that is really rather unique...
people are innocent till proven guilty. so, we shouldn't be allowing the fact that they are in jail waiting for trial to cloud our judgement regarding their decision making skills, let alone carrying that judgement on to denying them even more rights than have already been denied them.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Seems like a wasted effort to me. If they are in jail they won't be voting. If they are convicted they can't vote. And if they are freed most likely won't vote. Seems like an incredibly stupid thing to waste money on. By the time they are done i think they would be lucky to get 60 people out of those 6000.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Its about as simple as any other absentee ballot request. Inmate writes the local election board...asks for ballot. They in turn mail said ballot to the prison. Inmate gets said ballot, fills it out, then mails it back. Done deal. I don't have to like that someone on trial for a crime can vote...none of you do either...but there is nothing saying that they can't unless you can point out a law that takes away that right preemptively. Such a law would be pretty un-american too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join