It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Inmates Are Getting Registered To Vote In One Of The Country’s Biggest Jails

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:28 PM
link   
In the US one is considered innocent until proven guilty. You're feelings on it further don't really count for much other than your own concerns. (Speaking in the general you sense) Also the majority of those serving time are in for misdomeaner crimes which you do not lose rights over. Anyone at the time of an election that hasn't been found guilty has a right to cast their vote. An absentee ballot should be available to fill out and mail in.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:30 PM
link   
virginia will mail you an absentee ballot to the place of your confinement..
so, guess that answers my question at least for va...

www.elections.virginia.gov...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Virginia will also...last I heard...not grant you those rights back after a felony...ever. Least thats how it was growing up there...things may be different now its been many years.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: TinySickTears

It's odd that if you're a felon you lose your right to vote. Sure, I guess voting while imprisoned shouldn't be a thing but if you've served your sentence and are free again you should be allowed to vote. You're still a citizen who will, hopefully, pay taxes again one day.

There is no federal law on whether felons can vote, rather it is state by state. Most states now allow felons to vote after they've served their time including parole, probation, any fines, etc.

Here's a link for the laws in each state regarding exoffenders.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

As far as I know,you usually petition the state governor for your rights back. Some states grant them if you have served your time and paid back whatever you owe for restitution or fines. Other like I mentioned about VA have very strict no rights back politicians.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

As far as I know,you usually petition the state governor for your rights back. Some states grant them if you have served your time and paid back whatever you owe for restitution or fines. Other like I mentioned about VA have very strict no rights back politicians.

That's actually not true anymore.

Virginia – As of April, 22nd 2016 under Governor McAuliffe’s order, ex-offenders who have completed their sentence. This includes prison or jail time, probation, and parole.

From my previous link.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Depending on the state Felons are eligible to vote. If on probation or parole felons cannot vote. Once sentence is complete felons are eligible to vote. Most states have changed the old you can't vote if convicted of a crime, others are slow but will change eventually, rather unfair to be punished forever.

In 14 states and the District of Columbia, felons lose their voting rights only while incarcerated, and receive automatic restoration upon release.In 21 states, felons lose their voting rights during incarceration, and for a period of time after, typically while on parole and/or probation. Voting rights are automatically restored after this time period. Former felons may also have to pay any outstanding fines, fees or restitution before their rights are restored as well. In 13 states felons lose their voting rights indefinitely for some crimes, or require a governor’s pardon in order for voting rights to be restored, or face an additional waiting period after completion of sentence (including parole and probation) before voting rights can be restored.

www.ncsl.org...

edit on 8/2/2018 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I support the system we have in the UK, convicted prisoners cannot vote but prisoners held pending a conviction may vote while behind bars. Everyone released from prison regains their right to vote regardless of their crime, even serial killers for example.
If someone is deemed safe enough to walk the streets as a citizen after their punishment then I support their right to vote.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Citizens have a right to vote.

I don't know of any reason this should be revoked. I don't understand why felons in some states even after they serve their time cannot vote. Its complete and utter bs...highly anti-consitutional and anyone who would defend taking away a citizens right to vote for any reason isn't very American.

There are just as many conservatives in jail as there are liberals just fyi.

just my 2c.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

well, if I lived in an area that had a jail I'm not sure that I would want the inmates of that jail voting for my local elections unless they were local residents. I mean, once they are freed more than likely they are gonna fly away from where ever they came from, leaving us with the mess they helped create. I imagine they could register to vote for their home district and vote absentee.... but then that leads me to ask.... just how does one present a valid photo id voting absentee? does one send in a copy of their id along with the ballot??

This is a different side of the voting fraud issue....one that isn't being discussed, but reported to be rampantly abused...

You can dig in to whats going on if you are curious enough.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Glad to see my home state get with the times on that. One of my cousins had his life ruined over that due to him doing something nonviolent at the age of 21...even after graduating college never being arrested afterwards and eventually becoming a contractor,foreman for a pretty major construction firm. Still at that time in their eyes he wasn't worthy of having the universal humans rights.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

If you were being housed in an out of state jail you would be given an absentee ballot from,the state you registered in. Having said that...people who are in for less than a year...basically misdomeaner crimes...dont get sent out of state. Fellons go to DOC which can send them anywhere.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Chicago is solid blue and allowing inmates to vote in Chicago is not a threat to the GOP.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: drewlander

Shouldn't be about that anyway...regardless of what a person votes for they have a right as a citizen to vote.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

That is great news, because inmates have always been known to make the best rational decisions.

While we are at it, why don't we let animals vote also, I mean some towns elect them as their mayors.

You can always tell who is scared at election time when they need help from the criminally insane.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Simple. We are innocent until proven guilty in this country. Proven guilty means a conviction. So yes, they can and should be able to vote as per our Constitution. Yes?

At least let them have that right, until they feel they all but forced to take a plea deal like 90% of cases in this #ed up justice system.

Your feelings on this matter zilch. Nada. None. As with any conservatards like the one just above me posting in this thread upset about it.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Lightdhype because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2018 by Lightdhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

That is great news, because inmates have always been known to make the best rational decisions.

While we are at it, why don't we let animals vote also, I mean some towns elect them as their mayors.

You can always tell who is scared at election time when they need help from the criminally insane.

So you are fine with ex prisoners walking the streets and working, paying taxes etc but not voting.... How does that make sense?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

So you are fine with ex prisoners walking the streets and working, paying taxes etc but not voting.... How does that make sense?

from the OP

The organizers explained to the detainees that because they had not yet been convicted of a crime, they were all likely eligible to vote in November.

1. They are not ex prisoners. Their future as of now is in limbo. They will either be found guilty or innocent.
2. I am not sure I want the one's that will be found guilty choosing my next leader for me because of the decisions they made that put them there.
3. If you respect their decision making skills so much, maybe you should contact a prisoner and take advice from them on how to make more money, because if they make such great decisions surely the political spectrum isn't the only choice you want them to be apart of.

edit on 2-8-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-8-2018 by highvein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Lightdhype

. As with any conservatards like the one just above me posting in this thread upset about it.

Oh no! Someone got triggered by an Opinion. Well if you think they are good at picking your next leader no wonder Trump won. lol. This next election should be a breeze for Trump.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

She created the black men incarceration logarithmic increase.
Look up the rates on a year rate graph.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join