It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Can't Afford Its New T-14 Armata Tanks, Turns To Updated Older Designs Instead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   
So its not just the Russian AF that has to tighten some belts. See the SU-57 story here www.abovetopsecret.com...

Its mechanized forces are taking a hit as well. The latest and greatest in Russian armor, the T-14 did not survive budget cuts and the Russian military will make do with what it has.

That means more T-72 - T90 tanks both at home and exports. Despite its poor combat record against western desgins, the T-72 remains popular most likely because of its low cost and ease of operation. The article also points out that the T-80 may simply be better in arctic conditions than the newer tank and maybe they lack the R&D capital to fix that.

www.thedrive.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

INB4

But but but.... BRIC Nations!

Down with the West!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Truth be told the US can't afford the newest bloated aircraft carriers and the f-35.

But I digress.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: atsgrounded

Truth be told the US can't afford the newest bloated aircraft carriers and the f-35.

But I digress.

Kind of can't afford and that a whole different ball of wax. Can we afford the Ford class yes, can we afford a 1 to 1 replacement? That remains to be seen.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Russia cannot afford the size of military they want to have, based upon the size of their undiversified economy and the competing demands for other government expenditure. If Russia does not start to sort out the countries infrastructure, education and healthcare, then they won't be able to stop people leaving. Nearly 2 million educated Russians have left Russia for the liberal West in the last few years.

posted on Aug, 4 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
This is such a meme

posted on Aug, 5 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

This seems familiar, Fred.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
But , just 2 question ? Who writes these nonsense stories ? Who thinks we are still in the 90s ?

The SU-57 are coming in numbers as large as expected, and the same is valid for T-14 / T-15 etc...
Plus there's the latest Hypersonic developments... Are you babbling EU sponsored nonsense ?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flanker86
Are you babbling EU sponsored nonsense ?

Back in the real world. The Russians have slowed production of the SU-57, which could be read as a budgetary decision. Same with the T-14 which has a slow production based on their price. The OP is correct in what has been stated. Russia's defence budget is not able to support all these new toys, but I expect there will be enough for the various military parades.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86

The discussion of the Su-57 ought to be held over in the aviation forum, really, but...

Russia has stated it is only ordering 12.

sputniknews.com...

The Su-57 was supposed to have had 50 to 60 delivered to the Russian Aerospace Forces by 2016:

sputniknews.com...

That's not going well then, I'd say. Those are Russian sources, not western.

The Russians are talking about not going forward with the full rate production of the SU-57. They may stop at the 12. We shall see.

Like always, they are being as clear as mud.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

But , just 2 question ? Who writes these nonsense stories ? Who thinks we are still in the 90s ?

The SU-57 are coming in numbers as large as expected, and the same is valid for T-14 / T-15 etc...
Plus there's the latest Hypersonic developments... Are you babbling EU sponsored nonsense ?

Seems that the nonsense is from Deputy Prime Minister Yuri Borisov. So I'm babbling Soviet Sponsored nonsense?

“Well, why flood the all Armed Forces with the Armata tanks, we have the T-72s in great demand in the market, they take it all, compared to the Abrams, Leclercs and Leopards, for their price, efficiency and quality, It’s the same situation with “Boomerangs,” – Yury Borisov told.

“We don’t really need to for this (mass purchases of new tanks – ed.), these models are quite expensive in relation to existing ones,” – noted the Deputy Prime Minister. defence-blog.com...

As far as hypersonics, the Soviet's are second only to Iran in terms of vaporware

Like:
Plasma Stealth
Geophysical Weapons aka earthquake bombs
Elipton Atomic Pistol
Race-Based Genetic Weapons
Khibiny Electronic Bomb aka The USS Cook incident
Plasmoids aka the plasma ballistic missile defense system
torsion fields

and on and on and on so forgive me if I don't tremble in fear with your nonsensical propaganda.

GD

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Yeah, not a surprise. With sanctions and depressed oil prices have them in a bind. They are relying on showmanship and theatrics at this point.

GD

posted on Sep, 28 2018 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Flanker86
The hypersonic weapons are vaporware. The Russians have already said they are not producing the 57 in quantity- or the armata. He's not babbling- this is an honest assessment. Putin is like a kid with the Sears Christmas catalog. He wants everything, but isn't going to get it.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: GD

The hypersonics are not vaporware... I'd agree with some of the others you list, but hypersonics are real and will be proliferating shortly

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
Russia cannot afford the size of military they want to have, based upon the size of their undiversified economy and the competing demands for other government expenditure. If Russia does not start to sort out the countries infrastructure, education and healthcare, then they won't be able to stop people leaving. Nearly 2 million educated Russians have left Russia for the liberal West in the last few years.

Agreed.

posted on Jan, 2 2019 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Are you babbling EU sponsored nonsense ?

Back in the real world. The Russians have slowed production of the SU-57, which could be read as a budgetary decision. Same with the T-14 which has a slow production based on their price. The OP is correct in what has been stated. Russia's defence budget is not able to support all these new toys, but I expect there will be enough for the various military parades.

Yup. Other than parades they won't have any practical use.

posted on Jan, 3 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
T-14 state trials this year before induction into Russia ground forces.

thediplomat.com...

new topics

top topics

join