It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spotify takes down Alex Jones podcasts citing 'hate content'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The music streaming service Spotify says it has removed some episodes of "The Alex Jones Show" podcast for violating its hate content policy. The move followed a backlash on social media.

"We take reports of hate content seriously and review any podcast episode or song that is flagged by our community," the company said in a statement late Wednesday.

"Spotify can confirm it has removed specific episodes of 'The Alex Jones Show' podcast for violating our hate content policy," it said.

I know some people here have been fans of Infowars although it has not been a source of news and debate here for quite a while. Personally, I think he has brought some good topics to the table, as far as debate goes, but as far as accuracy of reporting his record is abysmal -- he will say anything and copy anyone in order to make a buck.

I am all for free speech, but this is a private company regulating what can be seen on their network. What do you think folks, does Alex Jones qualify as hate speech?

Among other claims, Jones has called the 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting a hoax. He was sued for defamation by families of some of the children killed in that attack, which left 20 children and six adults dead.

He now admits the shooting occurred but says his claims were free speech. He has sought to have the lawsuit dismissed.

Jones' profile has spread from the far-right fringe in recent years. While running for president in 2015, Donald Trump told Jones his reputation was "amazing."

Fox News

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
No!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

I don’t know if he spews hate speech or not as I only watch the funny videos posted on youboob about him. But he definitely shouts stupid speech
. And it is within the right of Spotify to do what they want.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yeah..... They have that right....

Jones has multiple times railed against homosexuals, accused people of "raping kids"

Etc etc etc ad nasuem and unfounded

I would say ya its hate speech

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Increasingly, the left simply calls anything they want censored "hate". They aren't winning debates, so they just want to shut everyone up.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Jones has multiple times railed against homosexuals, accused people of "raping kids"

Agreed that they have a right as a company to do so. But ya'll better be careful with hate speech BS!!! Do you want the government to arrest people for it like in the EU??? Keep it up and our Constitutional right to free speech might end and any one of us could be tossed in the pokey for offending someone.

To be honest, I think it is stupid to drive people underground. Let em speak! Not sure about you, but I would prefer to know who my enemy is?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thejoncrichton
Increasingly, the left simply calls anything they want censored "hate". They aren't winning debates, so they just want to shut everyone up.

This isn't a right or left thing w Jones though....

The guy literally screams at people on air and accuses them of horrible things w no facts....

Its literally hate speech..... Most on the left and right agree w this about Jones

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Alex Jones certainly is a #ing idiot, doesn't know when to stop running his mouth and is generally a loud obnoxious prick but I don't think that qualifies as hate speech personally. I don't agree with Spotify taking down his profile, you can go find plenty of actual hate speech songs on Spotify but Meh private company blah blah blah. I'm sure he'll find another way to babble his nonsense.

Though I gotta say i'm really not digging this mass censorship internet companies seem to be engaging in. The Internet's become such a dull place these days full of whiny people crying about words. I really miss the internet before political correctness took over....it used to be such a glorious #hole refuge from the political correctness creeping over real life....now...Guh...
edit on 2/8/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
But they let wife beating rappers do their thing with impunity.

Edit:

I cant stand Alex Jones and the only contributor worth a damn is Paul Watson. But this crusade against Jones is ridiculous.

Its the pot calling the kettle black and assuming for themselves credibility they aren't due.
edit on 2 8 18 by projectvxn because: Fixed typos

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
But they let wife beating rappers do their thing with impunity.

Maybe he should turn his rants into songs

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Could care less what he has to say. I visit his site primarily to see the Illustrations posted there. Most are very entertaining.

Ben Garrison, Branco and others. Mostly cool illustrations.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Alex J. thrives on hate. His core demographic love it because it make's them feel counter culture and special.

But I still think his take on Sandy Hook is correct. And a few other things....like his Strawberry paleo caveman formula.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Dear Alex,

We saw your ‘hate speach’ It was ok, but not good. Take this as constructive criticism.

- use more hashtags
Like #cancel_____people.

Talk about ______ being genetically predisposed to ______

Talk about the joy your racism brings you

Work harder then get back to us

#hateisgreat
NYT editorial board

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Alex J. thrives on hate. His core demographic love it because it make's them feel counter culture and special.

But I still think his take on Sandy Hook is correct. And a few other things....like his Strawberry paleo caveman formula.

Where he claims no kids were killed and they were all actors?????

That's disgusting on all levels

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

this is a private company regulating what can be seen on their network.

This is all that needs to be said.

Ether your for private property rights or you want more government intervention.

Choose wisely.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Thejoncrichton

If you don't like it then stop giving the companies you think are guilty of this your money.

No need to give the government more power over us.

It's really very simple.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask

Agreed that they have a right as a company to do so. But ya'll better be careful with hate speech BS!!! Do you want the government to arrest people for it like in the EU??? Keep it up and our Constitutional right to free speech might end and any one of us could be tossed in the pokey for offending someone.

To be honest, I think it is stupid to drive people underground. Let em speak! Not sure about you, but I would prefer to know who my enemy is?

I dont see how that is applicable, this isnt a government action this is a companies decision.

Its not like the gov is shutting down alex jones radio or TV show, so that comparison that we could lose our right to free speech because private companies dont want Alex's message on their forum, doesnt really hold water.

Thats like saying our right to free speech is in mortal jeopardy, because ATS bans a member for being hateful.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Whatthedoctorordered because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

As a point of discussion: what happens if (when?) those businesses wield more power than a government? Ill just assume most can figure the implications..

As for Jones.. I struggle to understand his appeal. That said, "hate speech" seems to be one of those terms and concepts that is losing its meaning through overuse and ideological driven misapplication.

Rather interesting process to watch, frankly.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

To be fair its a bit misleading, they didnt pull ALL of his content, they just pulled the stuff they deemed as hateful.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Private company their rules.
AJ is an actor playing a part in his own LARP.
Made millions out of the foolish....well done him I suppose.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join