It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump team wants to roll back Obama-era mileage standards

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Less than a week ago we found out that Trump and his White House are planning on rolling back the Endangered Species Act of 1973, putting dozens of animals on the endangered species list at risk of dying out.

This, of course, would allow big business and oil and gas industries to start digging on protected lands, displacing those animals in pursuit of profit, something they have been after for a long time.

As if that wasn't enough, the administration just put out news that it also plans to roll back the gas mileage standards put into place under Obama, in place to get the manufacturers to create more fuel efficient vehicles.

An even stranger and more authoritative move was to also send notices to each State, rescinding their rights to set their own standards, that could be more strict than the federal one. This is an extremely strange move for a man who was promising to move away from big government and touted State rights to govern themselves. 17 States have already sued the government over the controversial move.

The Obama administration had planned to keep toughening fuel requirements through 2026, saying those and other regulations on vehicles would save 40,000 lives annually through cleaner air. The argument remained on the EPA’s website Thursday.

According to Trump administration estimates, the Obama fuel efficiency standards would raise the price of vehicles by an average of $2,340. That would price many buyers out of the new-vehicle market, forcing them to drive older, less-safe vehicles that pollute more, the administration says.

That's right, the reason for this is that the Americans won't be able to afford the extra cost of the lower mileage vehicles and will be forced to drive older and less safe vehicles, and put themselves and others in danger.

Interestingly, the increased tariff costs on vehicles are expected to off-set any savings on driving less fuel efficient vehicles, rolling us back on fuel efficiency while keeping the costs the same as they are now.

Associated Press

I'm kind of shocked, I don't know what to say. I find it hard to believe that the administration thinks so little of American people that we won't see these acts for what they are. Put the two acts next to each other, rolling back the fuel efficiency standards and the Endangered Species Act at the same time, and it only points to a realization that Trump is nothing more than a sellout for big oil and big business. Can it be seen any other way?

What about the Federal government overstepping State rights? Who here wants big, overreaching government? Anyone here vote for that?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

If these clowns really cared about fuel mileage they would remove the ethanol.
I bought gas in texas or new Mexico, I forgot which"
That had zero ethanol.
The highway mileage on my truck went from 17.3 to 19.2 highway.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:02 PM
link   

I'm not sure how rolling back government intervention into the private sector is an example of "big, overreaching government", but it's a clever little piece of casuistry.

Don't be shocked. The ramifications of this and other cuts to big government regulations will put the power back into the hands of the people long before the unhinged doom-saying of environmental prophets comes true.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I myself was shocked by this when I saw the report on OAN news at 11:00. What really surprised me was the claim that they're going to stop allowing California to mandate stricter standards than the EPA requires? Its a puzzle to me if that's even possible.

Obviously the Administration is trying to lessen the costs of manufacturing for the Big 3; the Obama mandates were stair-stepped to ever higher fuel mileage requirements over years. And if I recall correctly the big problem was that the CAFE standard as balanced across the whole fleet made by a car maker such that they were constantly raising the fleet average CAFE rating. I guess that would have had the effect of forcing the auto makers to produce all-electric vehicles to balance out the lousy gas mileage of the pick-up trucks, but I think they realized they were near to being put out of business because...........mostly no body buys actual "cars" anymore.

Word of note for those of you who are investors.......do not buy GM corporate bonds!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kharron
I'm kind of shocked, I don't know what to say. I find it hard to believe that the administration thinks so little of American people that we won't see these acts for what they are. Put the two acts next to each other, rolling back the fuel efficiency standards and the Endangered Species Act at the same time, and it only points to a realization that Trump is nothing more than a sellout for big oil and big business.

Really, you are shocked at this? As in surprised? This administration has made it very clear since day 1 that further enrichment of themselves and others in the same economic sphere is their only goal. Their 'tax reform' is a joke, just more money funneled to those that have no use for it, while further damaging the huge majority of Americans.

I'm sad to say I am no longer shocked or surprised by these clowns, except maybe on those extremely rare moments a few words of truth escape.

Can it be seen any other way?

Nope.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Words

I'm not sure how rolling back government intervention into the private sector is an example of "big, overreaching government", but it's a clever little piece of casuistry.

Don't be shocked. The ramifications of this and other cuts to big government regulations will put the power back into the hands of the people long before the unhinged doom-saying of environmental prophets comes true.

Ok, I'll explain it -- when government says to the States -- you cannot make your own rules that will benefit your own population and must instead follow the rules set in place by me, that is considered government overreach.

The government can stipulate what it would like but the States should set their own rules. And if companies want to compete in that market, they are free to do as they choose.

Or do you believe in big government?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

I'm shocked that it's so brazen. Two of these shady actions in the same week. There is not even an attempt to hide the agenda any more.

That's what shocks me. Either we're moving towards something big and they are speeding up the plans, regardless of how it appears, or we have reached a point where they think we are so stupid, no one will catch it.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I do not believe in big government, and that goes for both the federal and state level. To me, governments need to protect the freedom of its citizens, and it appears to be doing that in this case.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   

No they dont...

What they are doing is wanting a discussion on cafe standards before any decisions are made.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

No they dont...

What they are doing is wanting a discussion on cafe standards before any decisions are made.

So, you don't think this will happen?

Either one of these?

Edit: I agree it may not in the end, but it will not be because the admin changed its mind, it will be because of all the State lawsuits.
edit on 2-8-2018 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Fuel efficiency standards - what a crock of sh**.
Car manufacturers lie their asses off and are allowed to get away with it. That 70mpg car you buy gets 35mpg, but hey, as long as the paperwork is all signed off and money changes hands in admin and regulatory fees all is good. Just the customer that gets lied to and cheated. BIg Govt 101.

The govt should never be involved in this and THAT is why the regulations are getting rolled back - not because the administration doesn't believe in fuel efficiency. Wake up, for goodness sake.

edit on 2/8/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   

A bit of both, I think. There is clearly an army of Trump drones out there, who have completely turned off whatever critical thinking ability they ever had, and are lined up at the Trump Koolaid trough, swilling for all they're worth, that will support Trump no matter what. Even to the extent of their own economic disadvantage.

And yeah, I think Trump and Co. know they are going to be taken down by the honest and hardworking that still exist to some degree, and they are grabbing with both hands to get as much loot as they can while they still have the opportunity.

The cycle amazes me:

1) The GOP gets in a position of power in the US.
2) They ruin everything they touch. Their only focus is their own personal wealth, and they don't care who they hurt in the process.
3) Eventually US voters wake up and vote their asses out.
4) It takes several years to begin to repair the damage done by the GOP in their last round of power, and the GOP propaganda machine - which is VERY effective - is grinding away the whole time they are out of power.
5) Enough US voters are lulled by the constant GOP BS to vote them into power again, before all the damage is fixed.
6) Go to step 1.

It has been like this for decades, but has gotten worse since the Regan era, and has gotten way worse since that black fella had the gall to run for president and be elected. Twice. During and since that time, the GOP completely let go of any attachment at all to actual facts. If the current GOP mindset had been in place in the early 20th century we would still be trying to fly by flapping our arms and praying.

There is plenty wrong with both main stream parties in the US, but the damage caused by the GOP when they have the opportunity is truly mind boggling. The democrats only look good when compared to the GOP, but in that comparison, they look REALLY good.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Oil price increases in the last decade logically should steer consumers towards purchasing electric/hybrid/fuel efficient vehicles anyways.
Free market choices without government intervention will slow the process down and likely cause inflation due to higher fuel prices.
Export countries that produce fuel efficient cars would benefit if the US auto industry falls behind.
70 MPG cars by 2026 Dat soon?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

The fact you are missing is that the car makers, regardless of the state, uses California standards as a national baseline because of how strict they are. The problem with that is the number of people who live in California and the topography (mountains and ocean). As an example Los Angeles's location has the effect of the mountains keeping smog and particulates locked into the area instead of it dissipating over larger areas.

So while the higher / stricter standards are a plus the plus in question only affects a limited number of areas across the nation.

As far as I know, and just like the Paris climate accords, a state can set more restrictive standards in some of these areas outside of federal mandates. To me the left is wanting to bitch about something, again, instead of ignoring the move and going forward with their higher standards.

Car companies have been forced to research new material that is stronger but lighter in weight to reach established guidelines. Again we come back to the issue of a left coast state dictating policy for the whole nation based off of Californias problems only.

Just like Sen. Harris affordable housing bill she introduced in congress. What she fails to point out is her bill would require the federal government to offset rent pricing for the state of California to reduce rent amounts. Instead of California taking action on their own they again want the federal government, and by extension the other states, to bail California out of a problem their own government created.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
# Donald Trump for this move. Better gas mileage is bad for us? Cheaper gas is bad for us as well? What a #ing crock.

Now watch as the fanboys swarm this thread telling us how it is all a good thing and how trampling states rights is okay in this regard as well. The mental gymnastics score a 10!

Problem is, people should support good moves and be against bad moves. The fanboys instead praise all as good as they suck the big cheeto.

I like a lot of what has been done or talked about but this along with the EPA rollback is completely dangerous bullcrap.

Wait till Hanford has another tunnel collapse and no money is available to even begin planning a solution.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Lightdhype

and what move would that be?

He wants a discussion and nothing more. The left wing propaganda media are the ones making claims that are untrue.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Not to mention it both drives up the price of cars in the US and curtails sales.

The other one is NHTSA regs which preclude highly fuel efficient cars.

That, and ethanol which destroys engines and gets worse gas mileage.

Some of these OPs any more are nuts!

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

If these clowns really cared about fuel mileage they would remove the ethanol.
I bought gas in texas or new Mexico, I forgot which"
That had zero ethanol.
The highway mileage on my truck went from 17.3 to 19.2 highway.

Exactly.

I drive a Dodge 2500 diesel 2005

My brother in Law drives a 2017, 2500 diesel

IF these fuel efficiency regulations people are flipping out about, were doing what they say they are, then why is it I get better Diesel mileage than the brand new rigs? By almost 5 mpg

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Lightdhype

# Donald Trump for this move. Better gas mileage is bad for us? Cheaper gas is bad for us as well? What a #ing crock.

Because its BS, my older model vehicles get better gas mileage than their newer counterparts.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   

half of the americans are not that stupid.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join