It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tokyo med school caught sabotaging female test scores to prevent female doctors

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: InTheLight

I suppose there are no male doctors that are single parents which takes their time away from work, of course not.

Women also go barefoot when pregnant, so that is another safety issue with them being doctors.

Going barefoot has been proved to be beneficial in many ways, so we all should be go barefoot.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I can barely walk across carpet barefoot....

My wife can walk on a lit cigarette and not notice

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

I don't think its "sexist men". Its cultural.

Although the culture is changing....it won't happen to quickly. WHat...100 years ago Japan was still pretty much closed to the outside world?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I suppose there are no male doctors that are single parents which takes their time away from work, of course not.

Women also go barefoot when pregnant, so that is another safety issue with them being doctors.

Going barefoot has been proved to be beneficial in many ways, so we all should be go barefoot.

Do you want worms? Because this ^^^ is how you get worms.

(Half) joking aside, I love going barefoot from time to time. Shoes and socks represent the oppression on our lives. That's how they keep us down.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

Although the culture is changing....it won't happen to quickly. WHat...100 years ago Japan was still pretty much closed to the outside world?

Not to mention they are still ahead of the curve compared to many other nations. Saudi Arabia is just now letting women drive, that's just one example and we could start a new thread on that.

As another member mentioned, this was one university, so best not to let it reflect on Japan as a whole. God knows we have tons of asshats here in the states that pull stunts at the Universities protected by their tenure.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Yes, and their culture, historically, is sexist.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

(Half) joking aside, I love going barefoot from time to time. Shoes and socks represent the oppression on our lives. That's how they keep us down.

And any barefoot pregnant woman doctor can rid your feet of worms.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Very true. I've never had a problem with having a female doctor.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

So what you're saying is they're a few decades behind the rest of the "developed" world? Considering they had a late start, I'd say in context they're doing alright.

Now I'm not saying that it's OK they still have underlying examples of sexism (keep in mind, this is about one university), but rather sometimes it's important to see someone's progress in relation to when they started. We had a giant leap on them in many regards on this topic, and we still are trying to find our balance. It's not like feminism doesn't exist here, so obviously there are still some people who believe we aren't there yet.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Yeah, females tend to have smaller fingers...

No seriously, the last doctor that gave me a physical felt like he was going after the last pickle in the jar...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Yeah, females tend to have smaller fingers...

No seriously, the last doctor that gave me a physical felt like he was going after the last pickle in the jar...

At risk of sounding sexist for generalizing, women tend to be more considerate and intuitive. It was a breath of fresh air when I had torn tendons and I had a very sweet female doctor putting on the brace. I feel like sometimes male doctors say "does this hurt" ironically... They're never surprised with a quick and aggressive jerk followed by "YES!".

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Ummm...quick...how can we blame this on Trump...

Any suggestions...?

YouSir

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

So is Americas.

When I first hit the job market - - it was legal for the employer to ask women if they were married, if they planned on getting married, if they planned on having children, etc.

Employment could be denied if the employer felt, as a woman, you would quit to do your "womanly thing".

Because of the Women's Right movement - - that is now illegal.

Read the story of Ben Barres - - transgender female to male scientist - - and his experience of gender inequality. www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Yeah, back in the 50s and 60s a large portion of women did exactly that. They got married and left the workforce. That mindset for employers stuck around until the 80s.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

You call it sexist because of your perspective. The reality: feeling culturally superior is no better than sexism.

What if this isn't about sexism, and more about fulfilling commitments to society? Asia thought is very "hive" like, with individualism just not being front and center like in the west. To such a mindset, whether I am male or female is mostly irrelevant when it comes to how I fit into the society as a whole.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Prior to unconditional surrender during WWII women in Japan had basically zero rights. Of the many thing America brought to Japan after the war that has made them a great nation, like democracy, woman suffrage is one that has been forgotten but is extremely important. They still have a ways to go, but outing something like this is good and means it is no longer tolerated as a social norm.

edit on 2-8-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
TIL;
Japan is run by angry old white guys

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Just because I am a sexists misogynistic #hole.

Maybe there could be a reason for this? I just wish if this were so, japan would grow a pair and state it openly.

[url=]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2532461/Why-having-women-doctors-hurting-NHS-A-provovcative-powerful-argument-leading-surgeon.html[/ur l]

By 2017, for the first time, there will be more female than male doctors in the United Kingdom.

Although I am a feminist — in the NHS hospital in which I work as a surgeon, some of the best doctors are women — this shift of the gender balance in medicine is a worrying trend.

I believe it is creating serious workforce problems, and has profound implications for the way the NHS works.

I fear this gender imbalance is already having a negative effect on the NHS.

The reason is that most female doctors end up working part-time — usually in general practice — and then retire early.

But that can't be right. The sexes are created EXACTLY the same with no biological differences. There is no goal differentiation between males and females. Maybe this just goes back to the days when males and females were considered different but luckily that was corrected with the advent of the 21st century. Thank goodness for that.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Annee

Yeah, back in the 50s and 60s a large portion of women did exactly that. They got married and left the workforce. That mindset for employers stuck around until the 80s.

It only changed because law forced it.

It did not change the mindset.

posted on Aug, 3 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   

What's your point? All cultures are historically sexist. I can't think of one that wasn't.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join