It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tokyo med school caught sabotaging female test scores to prevent female doctors

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Tokyo Medical University has found itself in hot water after it was discovered to be altering exam scores for female applicants to boost the number of male doctors

the university began reducing the exam scores of women and adding points for men in order to keep down the number of female undergraduate medical students

The Yomiuri Shimbun quoted university sources as saying the reduction of female applicants stemmed from a “strong sense” that many women quit medicine to get married and have children.
Source

It has been discovered that a medical school in Tokyo has been sabotaging the exam scores for female students in an attempt to lower the number of women becoming doctors. Their reasoning was apparently that less women should be doctors, as women sometimes get pregnant and have children, which takes time away from work.
Perhaps society's expectations regarding dedication to one's job are too strict when those expectations don't allow for the basics of life, like having children and starting a family. Especially in a modern, civilized country like Japan, I see no reason why accommodation can't be made for female employees who want to do so.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Scumbags...

Sorry, I thought I had more to say about this. But I think "scumbags" is sufficient in summarizing my thoughts about this.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Their reasoning was apparently that less women should be doctors, as women sometimes get pregnant and have children, which takes time away from work.

I suppose there are no male doctors that are single parents which takes their time away from work, of course not.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Huh, in America we just lower the standards so everyone can pass.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

What BS if ever I saw it.
edit on 18CDT08America/Chicago02480831 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This is what happens when you watch too much anime.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   
This is what happens when sexist men hold all the power.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   
As bad as it is it really does not surprise me for much of Asia is male dominate. Or at least they think so..

Girls in many Asian countries have to walk the narrow line while the boys can basically get away with almost anything simply because they are boys and that starts at a very early age..

I could write more but it won't change the way things presently are.

It will be interesting to see the outcome from Tokyo Medical University getting caught in such a bias scheme especially since it has made the news and there will be much FACE lost.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   
while i utterly condem the actions of the university

on has to take into consideration what i call " the japanese mindset "

i do not think that this is an " outlier " or abberant action of one rogue admin

other people are now going to use this as " probable cause " - to investigate other areas of japanese societ

and the falll out will land far from tokyo

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

What BS? Colleges have been lowering admission and academic standards for years.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

What BS? Colleges have been lowering admission and academic standards for years.

I worked in a university for 10 years and the standards are increasing, such as English proficiency, not decreasing.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:35 AM
link   

That is not right! I wonder if in the past, like maybe in the 80s if any of that has ever taken place here in the U.S.? I hope not. I don't mind having a female DR. As long as who I am seeing knows what they are doing.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

no - in the US - yoou lower SOME standards .

as evidence - look at how few members of college sports squads are reading a STEM subject

US college physics graduates`are still world leaders - its " liberal arts " degrees that have become the joke

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Gotta agree with you there buddy. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

This is a US education thing unfortunately.

edit on 2-8-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

link   
They should do the same with wimmins looking to be engineers because we know they can't do the math either.

link   

This is, of course, utterly unacceptable.

You would have thought, that in a modern, technologically superior nation, where science and technology are at their ABSOLUTE pinnacle, that there would be less of this sort of common, luddite like behaviour.

An understanding that regardless of the difference between a female and a male doctor in terms of their reproductive organs specific purpose and function, the most qualified to pass a test and become a doctor, is the one who answers the most questions correctly and does well when exposed to actual patients, ought to be as standard.

But unfortunately, even in the technological oasis of Japan, there are STILL those who value traditional roles and the saving of face, over what is best for their nation and the communities within it. Whether we are talking about the tendency for male trainee doctors to be bumped up despite being inferior practitioners, or the frankly laughable response to the Fukushima crisis, an ongoing problem which still has yet to see anything even in the same postcode as a solution, it seems that for all the advancements and skills available to Japan, its powerful are still living in the feudal period.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Gotta agree with you there buddy. Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

The standards are only lowered for clowns and jokers.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: kurthall

Probably not.
American culture is way different than Japanese culture. Women doctors tend to work in children and womens fields. Not always but many.
My dermatologist is a woman.

Japan is a different world.

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

That is not right! I wonder if in the past, like maybe in the 80s if any of that has ever taken place here in the U.S.? I hope not. I don't mind having a female DR. As long as who I am seeing knows what they are doing.

But if the standards are lowered, then no doctor in your country knows what they are doing, right?

posted on Aug, 2 2018 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

You can get a good education in American colleges still today. But when we decided every kid needed to go to college the admission standards had to be lowered.
I live near trine university and there are loads of foreign students attending because they can get a better education there than in their home countries.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join